Action based detective books with recurring leads | The Boneyard

Action based detective books with recurring leads

Reaction Score
I've been very impressed with movie and streaming comments so I thought I would give this a go, limiting it at beginning to an author's series.

A long time ago, as a 20+yr old, I was addicted to John D MacDonald with his Travis McGee series. Then marriage, children, work and life keep me busy

About 5 years ago I got familiar with David Baldacci and his various recurring characters. Finished them all thinking the Atlee Pine or Camel Club series were the best.

Well recently I started Lee Child's Jack Reacher inventory and am hopelessly hooked. About halfway done, meaning I have maybe 12/13 more to go. They are brilliant, I dare say better than David Baldacci.

Funny thing, I enjoyed the first Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie, BUT jezz Jack Reacher is 6' 4 and 250 lbs! Hollywood?

Any comments and advise where I should turn next are appreciated. Obviously I'm old and have trouble sleeping, so reading is very enjoyable (and keeps me off the sauce .......sometimes).

ps Think it's either going to be a month or 14 months before any positive conference news.

Reaction Score
I've been very impressed with movie and streaming comments so I thought I would give this a go, limiting it at beginning to an author's series.

A long time ago, as a 20+yr old, I was addicted to John D MacDonald with his Travis McGee series. Then marriage, children, work and life keep me busy

About 5 years ago I got familiar with David Baldacci and his various recurring characters. Finished them all thinking the Atlee Pine or Camel Club series were the best.

Well recently I started Lee Child's Jack Reacher inventory and am hopelessly hooked. About halfway done, meaning I have maybe 12/13 more to go. They are brilliant, I dare say better than David Baldacci.

Funny thing, I enjoyed the first Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie, BUT jezz Jack Reacher is 6' 4 and 250 lbs! Hollywood?

Any comments and advise where I should turn next are appreciated. Obviously I'm old and have trouble sleeping, so reading is very enjoyable (and keeps me off the sauce .......sometimes).

ps Think it's either going to be a month or 14 months before any positive conference news.
Author Michael Connelly with LA homicide detective Harry Bosch.

Reaction Score
A couple of good recommendations already posted (Connelly is my favorite in this genre). I'd add the Alex Delaware books by Jonathan Kellerman. Also check out the Lincoln Rhyme books by Jeffrey Deaver.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I agree with you on Reacher. It is a really engaging series. There is a new one coming out in October.

Have you seen the Amazon Prime Reacher series. It is very good. Alan Richardson is a much closer rendition of Reacher. It is based on the book The Killing Floor.

While googling for more books by Lee Child I stumbled onto the Preston and child Pendergast series. The protagonist is FBI agent Aloysius Pendergast. He is fastidious, very wealthy and a genius. The series has a very Sherlock Holmes feel about it, though sometimes cases involve occult or supernatural situations. Some are explainable, others are not. It's a good series and I believe it's about 22 books.

Finally, @HuskyHawk got me started on the Dresden Files series. It is set in the current era but reads very much like a film noir movie. The protagonist Harry Dresden is a private detective whose hook is that he also is a wizard. I'm not a big fantasy guy, so I wasn't sure how far I get with the series, which I think it's something like 20 books, but the main character is a likable Sam Spade/Philip Marlowe kind of character. It's worth a look.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've read maybe about half of the Reacher books, in no particular order. That works fine, most are completely stand alone. The last few have really trailed off in quality IMO.

A somewhat similar character, although he hasn't appeared in nearly as many books, is John Corey from Nelson DeMille. He is a prolific author but not nearly all of his books involve Corey. John has kind of the same moral compass as Reacher, a tough guy, doesn't like authority, plays by his own rules, gets the job done. He's NYPD initially and later on a liason with the FBI.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe a bit of a stretch, not quite a detective, but Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels are fun reads, and there are a bunch of those.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe another stretch, but I've enjoyed a number of Elmore Leonard's novels. There are several featuring U.S. Marshall Raylan Givens, the source of the tv series Justified. Many of Leonard's stories focus more on the criminals than law enforcement.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've only read 2 of them, but CJ Box has a series with a game warden, Joe Pickett. He's kind of like a detective. Keeps finding himself wrapped up in the middle of big stuff. They are a bit like modern westerns as well.

Reaction Score
Dave Robicheaux from the James Lee Burke books. Myron Bolitar and Win Lockwood III from the Harlan Coben books.
Easy Rawlins and Mouse from the Walter Mosley books.

Reaction Score
I've read maybe about half of the Reacher books, in no particular order. That works fine, most are completely stand alone. The last few have really trailed off in quality IMO.

A somewhat similar character, although he hasn't appeared in nearly as many books, is John Corey from Nelson DeMille. He is a prolific author but not nearly all of his books involve Corey. John has kind of the same moral compass as Reacher, a tough guy, doesn't like authority, plays by his own rules, gets the job done. He's NYPD initially and later on a liason with the FBI.
I agree with this. I've read the first and the most recent. Killing floor was awesome, absolute page turner. Blue Moon was the same formula with about half the quality.

Reaction Score
Artie Wu and Quincy Durant,main characters in three Ross Thomas novels

Reaction Score
The Prey series by John Sandford is great... and there are like 2 dozen books. And I second Micheal Connelly. And I love Reacher (and agree about "little" Tom Cruise)
Going with the Prey series. Got through all the hard copy Reacher’s that my library had. Have to figure out where my damn kindle is, although I greatly prefer books. Thanks

CL82

Reaction Score
Going with the Prey series. Got through all the hard copy Reacher’s that my library had. Have to figure out where my damn kindle is, although I greatly prefer books. Thanks
I read Rules of Prey, the first book in the Prey series, and, for me at least, it was a step below some of the other series that have been mentioned. The lead character was hard for me to get behind. He lies to everyone, manipulated a woman to make her a target for the serial killer and slept with the only surviving victim while she was still traumatized by the original crime. He just didn't seem likable. I did like how things go randomly wrong in the book, much like real life.

Reaction Score
The Prey series by John Sandford is great... and there are like 2 dozen books. And I second Micheal Connelly. And I love Reacher (and agree about "little" Tom Cruise)
Man I owe you dinner for the Sandford recommendation. Read 7 Prey books, trying to pick the earliest ones, but they’re so old it’s paperbacks from used book stores (which I find print way too small). Recently I just grab whatever hard copy my library has and these more recent books are tremendous.

Lucas, featuring Bob and Rae, kick ass.

Reaction Score
Man I owe you dinner for the Sandford recommendation. Read 7 Prey books, trying to pick the earliest ones, but they’re so old it’s paperbacks from used book stores (which I find print way too small). Recently I just grab whatever hard copy my library has and these more recent books are tremendous.

Lucas, featuring Bob and Rae, kick ass.
Glad you enjoyed them... I lucked into the first one (Rules of Prey) at the library many years ago and have read every one since... Always excited when one turns up in the New Books section of my library. Maybe Sandford has a website where you can order old books. He has started writing books featuring characters from the Prey books... Flowers...and most recently, Lucas' daughter...

CL82

Reaction Score
Based on recommendations here and from friends of mine I read "Rules of Prey." it was fine, but I didn't love it. The lead character is genuinely unlikable. First, he lies to everyone all the time and seemingly without purpose. Hides bosses, coworkers, girlfriends, witnesses etc., he's constantly BSing. Secondly, he randomly hit on a girl shortly after she is assaulted? And she is a witness related to a case he's working on? And then he has her go to his vacation house? It just seemed too divorced from reality for me and not in a fun way. That said, a lot of people really liked the series.

I agree about Reacher, I just finished the most recent recent one.

@HuskyHawk got me started on the Dresden files which is a noir detective/supernatural mashup. They are fun read. There's something close to 20 of them out and I blew through them all pretty quickly. They are compelling reads. It is interesting to see how the lead character develops. I'm looking forward to the new one coming out in the spring.

I really enjoy Preston and Childs Pentergast series. The lead FBI detective has a Sherlock Holmes vibe being hyper analytical, seeing things that other people don't see etc. It also nibbles around the supernatural, but doesn't dwell in it as squarely as the Dresden files do. It also has a sub series of agent that Pentergast mentored early on.

I started in English series of novels by Nick Lothe that begin with The Body in the Marsh. The first book is really excellent and worth a look. I got maybe 2/3 through the series and moved on to other books, but I will circle back to them. In the first story a detective investigates the disappearance of a woman who coincidentally turns out to be his first love/high school sweetheart that he never really got over. That gives the book an interesting flavor as he begins to discover more about her and her disappearance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I probably need a new series of some kind. I loved the John D MacDonald books. Travis McGee was essentially who I wanted to be as a kid. I would be surprised if Magnum PI wasn't at least loosely based on him. Sadly, the Florida of that era is nothing like the Florida of today. I wonder how those would hold up.

If you aren't averse to the supernatural, in addition to the Dresden Files books @CL82 mentioned, there is the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovich. He wrote some of the Dr. Who series back in the 80s. This series features a young London Met Police Officer who learns that there is something akin to an X-Files branch of the Met, yet dealing with Magic, not aliens and is recruited as its newest member. The stories due have a detective/mystery to solve element each time, but there is also a common thread that is slowly unraveled as well. I like them.

CL82

Reaction Score
I probably need a new series of some kind. I loved the John D MacDonald books. Travis McGee was essentially who I wanted to be as a kid. I would be surprised if Magnum PI wasn't at least loosely based on him. Sadly, the Florida of that era is nothing like the Florida of today. I wonder how those would hold up.

If you aren't averse to the supernatural, in addition to the Dresden Files books @CL82 mentioned, there is the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovich. He wrote some of the Dr. Who series back in the 80s. This series features a young London Met Police Officer who learns that there is something akin to an X-Files branch of the Met, yet dealing with Magic, not aliens and is recruited as its newest member. The stories due have a detective/mystery to solve element each time, but there is also a common thread that is slowly unraveled as well. I like them.
I highly recommend Relic by Preston and Child. It is the first of the Pendergast series.
IMG_1485.jpeg

Reaction Score
Still have a few Lucas Davenport novels to complete, but thinking of future inventory. I picked up a Preston & Child book, but after 1/3rd way through I’m not excited.

My sister recommended Louise Penny and her Inspector Gamache series. Who’s familiar with this series and is it a bit like Reacher and Davenport? Tia

Reaction Score
Still have a few Lucas Davenport novels to complete, but thinking of future inventory. I picked up a Preston & Child book, but after 1/3rd way through I’m not excited.

My sister recommended Louise Penny and her Inspector Gamache series. Who’s familiar with this series and is it a bit like Reacher and Davenport? Tia
I read the Penny one that takes place in Paris (because i love Paris). It's not at all like Reacher and Davenport. I liked it (because Paris) but was not moved to try the others. I have read every one of both series, in order, over many years. I am reading (and enjoying) the newest Prey book now. Like you, I couldn't really get into the Preston / Child books. I like Michael Connelly's books a lot, if you haven't read them. Harlan Coben is great, though there are only a few with recurring characters. Robert Tanenbaum has an ongoing series that is very good. Main character is a lawyer who was a hoops star who blew out his knee in his rookie NBA season. He has a bad ass wife, too. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
George Pelecanos (who wrote for the Wire) has a couple different series in the DC area that are all fantastic. I'd check out his bibliography and pick one. They're terrific. And Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series (from which Gone Baby Gone originates) are all good too, as is his trilogy that includes Live By Night and The Given Day.

If you like some historical realism built in I'm re-reading Perfidia by James Ellroy and it's spectacular. He's got a really distinct prose style and nails LA cops, bad guys and women in the 40s and 50s (he wrote LA Confidential).

Reaction Score
I don't think I saw it mentioned yet, but the Alex Cross series from James Patterson has some great books, like Along Came a Spider, which was made into a movie with Morgan Freeman.

Reaction Score
If you have read Walter Moseley,look into Grave Digger Jones and Coffin Ed Johnson by Chester Himes

Reaction Score
I read the Penny one that takes place in Paris (because i love Paris). It's not at all like Reacher and Davenport. I liked it (because Paris) but was not moved to try the others. I have read every one of both series, in order, over many years. I am reading (and enjoying) the newest Prey book now. Like you, I couldn't really get into the Preston / Child books. I like Michael Connelly's books a lot, if you haven't read them. Harlan Coben is great, though there are only a few with recurring characters. Robert Tanenbaum has an ongoing series that is very good. Main character is a lawyer who was a hoops star who blew out his knee in his rookie NBA season. He has a bad ass wife, too. Enjoy!
I’m taking a brief break from Davenport, and am very pleased with Tanenbaum’s Butch Karp and wife Marlene (David Grale too).

Thanks again for this wonderful suggestion.

And thanks to other BYers for their suggestions. I’m reading faster these days so enjoy all the recommendations.

This time of year feels like a Xanadu holiday for UConn BB fans so I will be enjoying both men’s and women’s success. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom