ACL Questions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACL Questions

Reaction Score
My friend is the much older brother of a top 20 recruit. I am very much aware that Uconn has attended her games and have expressed interest. He informed me yesterday, that he will not allow his sister to attend Uconn because the injuries are a concern to he and another parent of a top 40 recruit. He's now leaning to SC, Maryland, VT and others over Uconn.
No arguing with fools.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My friend is the much older brother of a top 20 recruit. I am very much aware that Uconn has attended her games and have expressed interest. He informed me yesterday, that he will not allow his sister to attend Uconn because the injuries are a concern to he and another parent of a top 40 recruit. He's now leaning to SC, Maryland, VT and others over Uconn.
LOL, not allow his sister to attend? If she’s a future Husky, she’ll let her brother know what he can do with his advice

Reaction Score
Work in Sports and Ortho PT myself, we are affiliated with a d1 (not at UConn level competitive) school. The previous post made a lot of statements generally regarded in the field (length of rehab, specific focus of rehab). One thing I will argue (at least in the case of my organization is that ACL repair/reconstruction isnt always "pro operation". It is suggested when the patient has intention to keep level of intensity of specific sport/activity. We instruct many non athletes that life can be perfectly lived without an intact ACL provided proper strengthening is maintained.

In an ideal world, you work for a period of time prior to surgery ("pre-hab") to strengthen and go into the surgery in a stronger/more prepared state. When dealing with scholarship athletes who want to get better as soon as possible, they are typically in great shape going in as well as knowledgeable of what needs to be done/how to do it. Its still something we focus on even with how short of a timeframe we are given.

As for Return to sport, the poster (and wife) is spot on with 9 month range minimum. There is always an extensive test performed and I imagine multiple times given the status of Uconn's program to determine the readiness of the athlete to go back to training with the team. PTs will clear the athlete based on their performance during this RTS evaluation.

You can never give a proper answer as to why the frequency of ACL injuries in the UCONN program occurs. Even if you are working with the team, there is always the possibility and "things can happen" with human bodies unfortunately. I would venture to guess their resources have provided them a phenomenal quality of care and personally would not point fingers. Rehab is never the same, even with the same injury of the same patient. Just have to address it day by day and motion by motion.

My prayers go out to these athletes and anyone recovering from injury. Its a wild journey.
All credit goes to the wife - the poster is just a sad fan that started getting interested in ACLR during the Shea Ralph days... and letter on when I got involved in Rugby which - let me tell you - is like a non stop sports injury clinic!

Reaction Score
oh my gosh they have an evil eye remover thingy that protects their players from ACLR? how can we get our hands on that?

Reaction Score
The Washington Post published an in-depth report on women's basketball and ACL tears a few years ago. The Post concluded that ACL tears among women college basketball players was an epidemic. According to that article, some 10% of all women NCAA basketball players suffers an ACL tear during their college careers. Don't have a link.

We know that an ACL tear, again according to a newspaper report some time ago, leads to a much higher likelihood of arthritis in the joint a few years down the road. Shea Ralph, at the time an assistant coach, who tore her ACL- what?, twice? three times?- would counsel the current players on what to expect and how to manage pain from their knees. Her last ACL tear during the NCAA tournament her senior year ended her playing career.

Reaction Score
The Washington Post published an in-depth report on women's basketball and ACL tears a few years ago. The Post concluded that ACL tears among women college basketball players was an epidemic. According to that article, some 10% of all women NCAA basketball players suffers an ACL tear during their college careers. Don't have a link.

We know that an ACL tear, again according to a newspaper report some time ago, leads to a much higher likelihood of arthritis in the joint a few years down the road. Shea Ralph, at the time an assistant coach, who tore her ACL- what?, twice? three times?- would counsel the current players on what to expect and how to manage pain from their knees. Her last ACL tear during the NCAA tournament her senior year ended her playing career.

Actually, she tore it again while walking her dog

Reaction Score

While he's entitled to his opinion, a lot of these "other" programs have similar challenges with a injuries. The list of programs is long and assuming UConn is the only one is a myopic view in my opinion.

Maryland has had several players suffer ACLs, including one who has suffered them back to back and has yet to play a full season since joining the team. Look at what Notre Dame is going through this season.

It's unfortunate that there is this perception towards UConn however it comes with a top ranked program that everyone knows about. A lot of people only focus on what they hear/see in the news and don't do a deep dive.

Reaction Score
If true, it sounds like he is an idiot.

Reaction Score
Respectfully to your friend, he has no idea what he is talking about. And maybe he should leave the college decision to the person who is actually going to be attending and playing ball there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While he's entitled to his opinion, a lot of these "other" programs have similar challenges with a injuries. The list of programs is long and assuming UConn is the only one is a myopic view in my opinion.

Maryland has had several players suffer ACLs, including one who has suffered them back to back and has yet to play a full season since joining the team. Look at what Notre Dame is going through this season.

It's unfortunate that there is this perception towards UConn however it comes with a top ranked program that everyone knows about. A lot of people only focus on what they hear/see in the news and don't do a deep dive.
50AB3A12-197B-462D-99B1-2096A8667886.jpeg

Reaction Score
I just realized what really bothers me here. "He will not allow", "He is leaning to...".

I'm hoping it's just a phrasing thing and not an overly controlling family member, but whatever. Doesn't sound relevant and doesn't sound like the kind of recruit that would fit in UConn anyways. :cool:

Reaction Score
Shea’s career was not over, I saw her play 2 games in the women’s pro league (not the WNBA)

Reaction Score

FYI for that friend of yours. This is the second ACL on the team for this season. Add the ACL last year, and I believe Masonius's the year before.

It's easy to make certain assumptions but the entire landscape of NCAAW has this challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom