Achonwa (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Achonwa (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No, it simply does not. This is still a team with two first team All Americans who are the best scoring guard duo that I've seen on a college team in several years. In the case of UConn, they need to put a couple of bodies on Stefanie sometimes, which hurts because UConn is a fantastic passing and shooting team, but if Loyd and McBride defend Bria and Kaleena well AND Stewie has an off-night, Notre Dame can make up for it with their scoring ability.

Yes it does. Notre Dame will have NOTHING inside to combat Dolson and Stewart...NOTHING. All UCONN has to do is pound the ball inside and the game will be over.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Loyd is more than capable of carrying the team as we saw last night. McBride is also capable, though lately she's had the look of trying too hard. I bet ND handles it better than UConn handled Shea going down early in the tournament in 1997.

Not as easy as it sounds. Achonwa is/ was a major part of their offensive flow much like Stef is for us. Lloyd and McBride are very good but without a major post presence, their talent can be diminished. This is a major blow to ND.

Then there is the emotional "we have to step it up and do more." That in itself can be a negative. Look at last year in the semis when we got ahead and McBride tried to do too much. One week to try to set yourself up with this type of loss is anything but easy.

We will see how well Muffet and her staff can coach and prepare their team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is easier said than done - this is a highly emotional time for the players and the coach and it is very tricky to channel that emotion just right.

You're right. UConn fans know all too well.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree, all Achonwa's absence does is make their job of winning the National Championship more difficult, but definitely not impossible. What it will require is that Kayla and/or Loyd will not be able to sit up 16 minutes in the 1st half like Kayla did last night because of Foul Trouble. Also both will have to score a combined 50 points or more if they have to play UConn for the Championship. The other starters/role players will have to score 30+ points. I have more confidence that Kayla & Loyd can score 50+ points then I do with the other players scoring 30+points. Have to think a game between UConn and ND will be in the 80's or close to that.

ND in recent years, has had the ability to get UConn into foul trouble and UConn will have to avoid that at all costs or the loss of Achonwa is minimized.

No, it simply does not. This is still a team with two first team All Americans who are the best scoring guard duo that I've seen on a college team in several years. In the case of UConn, they need to put a couple of bodies on Stefanie sometimes, which hurts because UConn is a fantastic passing and shooting team, but if Loyd and McBride defend Bria and Kaleena well AND Stewie has an off-night, Notre Dame can make up for it with their scoring ability.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Really?

They really don't have any strong post players, but have a fantastic guard tandem, a lot of chemistry, and are hoping for some luck. That doesn't sound familiar to another team that defied expectations?
Well, that UConn team played with that configuration all season and didn't have to adjust to losing their center and one of their best players.

Great guard tandem. But they would only score at the most 50 points between them. And neither of them would be guarding Stewart and Dolson.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Agree, all Achonwa's absence does is make their job of winning the National Championship more difficult, but definitely not impossible. What it will require is that Kayla and/or Loyd will not be able to sit up 16 minutes in the 1st half like Kayla did last night because of Foul Trouble. Also both will have to score a combined 50 points or more if they have to play UConn for the Championship. The other starters/role players will have to score 30+ points. I have more confidence that Kayla & Loyd can score 50+ points then I do with the other players scoring 30+points. Have to think a game between UConn and ND will be in the 80's or close to that.
You think that without Achonwa they can score 80 against the best defense in the country? Really?

I need a word for the opposite of overly optimistic.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You're right. UConn fans know all too well.

Even Geno admitted that they didn't know how to deal with it and help the players in 1997. When it happened again (too many times), they had a better grasp of how to manage the players' psyches.

Reaction Score
This news is truly sad. I am a card-carrying charter member of the hate Notre dame club, but I sure am sorry to see this. Achonwa is a warrior, and an all-around great player. I wanted to see UConn beat them at their best, but, unlike others on this thread, I'm betting they still make it to the Final. An awful lot of talent remaining....but this is just a shame.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yes Lloyd can put up 30 and maybe McBride, but you now have a totally different flow. And as we saw last year, the pressure got to McBride and lloyd in the semis. We could be looking at the same case now. Its a lot to ask of two players.

A lot of ND's offense runs through Achonwa. They have no one to replace her.

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. I can't explain how pissed off I am right now. I just wanted Notre Dame at full strength again UCONN in the final and this has to happen in the ELITE 8!?! So over ACL tears in WCBB!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You think that without Achonwa they can score 80 against the best defense in the country? Really?

I need a word for the opposite of overly optimistic.

Pusillanimously Pessimistic

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Hate to see any young athlete suffer such a painful and debilitating injury, especially at such an important point of her college career. And it'll likely affect her status in the WNBA draft. But like so many others, Natalie Achonwa is obviously very tough and will recover. Although I doubt she'll ever see this, I still would like to wish her the best in her recovery.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Not as easy as it sounds. Achonwa is/ was a major part of their offensive flow much like Stef is for us. Lloyd and McBride are very good but without a major post presence, their talent can be diminished. This is a major blow to ND.

Then there is the emotional "we have to step it up and do more." That in itself can be a negative. Look at last year in the semis when we got ahead and McBride tried to do too much. One week to try to set yourself up with this type of loss is anything but easy.

We will see how well Muffet and her staff can coach and prepare their team.
Spot-on assessment Nut. They'd be better off playing tomorrow. This is a devastating blow and a week will allow too much time for the doubting to settle in and they'll likely find themselves on the downside of the emotional adrenaline rush.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Pusillanimously Pessimistic
God, I will torture the spelling of that. I better save your post as reference....lol.

UConn hasn't given up more than 68 points and that was against shot happy Oregon.

Now, a terrific ND team loses their leader and point center and they will score 80 against UConn.

yes, pusillanimously pessimistic....indeed.

Reaction Score
I thought Louisville had a chance before she got hurt but now I think it'll be a cakewalk. (Just have to take care of business tonight)

HGN

Reaction Score
Best of luck to ND's Natalie Anchonwa for a speedy recovery. I wish her well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tony - nice write up - appreciate it because I really hadn't studied that team options. It is impossible to replace Natalie, but one thing to remember - she did miss some games earlier in the year and while they were much easier than the FF is likely to be, the coaches and players do have that experience to fall back on.
They are also a really good team with a very strong coaching staff so do not count them out. Is it a harder ask, yes, but they are still a very dangerous team.
Interior defense is going to be the biggest problem I think, because compensating for her loss will change everyones responsibilities and the defensive sets they can run.

And ... 'Uconn has a short bench and ND has a deep bench' - that doesn't actually mean anything if the wrong player goes down or gets into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I wish her the best and a speedy recovery. I hope the CT SUN take her with
their 11th pick.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
This would also impact her ability to play for the Canadian National team in Turkey this summer at the World games. Very sad for a truly tough competitor. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yes it does. Notre Dame will have NOTHING inside to combat Dolson and Stewart...NOTHING. All UCONN has to do is pound the ball inside and the game will be over.

I'm not buying it. Their bench players are young and not as good but they aren't nothing. Freshman have stepped up before. They don't have to score a lot of points just play solid D. Any team with both Lloyd and McBride still has a chance. They are VERY good. You can bet UCONN will not take it for granted.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if Louisville takes out MD and ND then gets walloped by UConn? The news is just stunning. Ms. Achonwa has a UConn connection. She's teammates with Ms. Nurse on the Canadian national team. Would have preferred to beat NG at full strength, but injuries are a part of life. Just ask Ms. Tuck. Hopeful for a full recovery.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying it. Their bench players are young and not as good but they aren't nothing. Freshman have stepped up before. They don't have to score a lot of points just play solid D. Any team with both Lloyd and McBride still has a chance. They are VERY good. You can bet UCONN will not take it for granted.
They won't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35