ACC Regular season, 2023 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular season, 2023

Reaction Score
So if no one else can substantiate a claim, you shouldn't make the claim? That is a dangerous and shortsighted way of thinking. I say tell the truth. The court of public opinion shouldn't be a factor if you know you speak the truth. Let the chips fall where they may.

Reaction Score
I would think that it would be picked up by 3 officials, players and coaches alike on both teams.

The balls are on racks for shoot arounds.

Seems bizarre to go 2 quarters and not stop and ask for an inspection .

FSU clearly played a better game and that had nothing to do with the ball. FSU shot better than Duke in the second half as well.

Sour grapes me thinks....I admit though, I like the smell of those Dookie grapes

Reaction Score
“Upon completion of the game, the conference office was made aware of the allegation and immediately conducted a comprehensive review. This included discussion with all parties involved, including game officials, game administrators, table crew and both schools. Following the thorough and objective review process, there was no evidence found to support the claim. Per NCAA playing rules, there is no appeal or protest process. The conference continues to prioritize and support our nearly 10,000 student-athletes in a world-class manner and conduct its 27 sponsored sports with the utmost integrity. The conference office considers this matter to be closed and will have no further comment.”

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would think that it would be picked up by 3 officials, players and coaches alike on both teams.

The balls are on racks for shoot arounds.

Seems bizarre to go 2 quarters and not stop and ask for an inspection .

FSU clearly played a better game and that had nothing to do with the ball. FSU shot better than Duke in the second half as well.

Sour grapes me thinks....I admit though, I like the smell of those Dookie grapes

Sounds like a personal issue, you might want to get that checked out.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a personal issue, you might want to get that checked out.

Naw....Duke basketball is what it is....and they have a rep.

Coach K after winning his last tournament....

“There was no crowd when guys were warming up,” Krzyzewski said, via ESPN. “And that damn floor was slippery on both ends.”

And sometimes we ACC Duke's opponent fans often share the sentiment of the UNC homey Greensborough News and Record...when Coach K whined about the demeanor of a UNC basketball player after a Duke defeat.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski's derogatory comments about UNC player Makhtar Ndiaye's postgame behavior following Carolina's ACC Tournament championship victory over Duke deserve some analysis and comment.If Krzyzewski's description of Ndiaye's taunting the Duke fans was accurate, the coach was correct when he stated (in his own way) that poor sportsmanship detracts from the celebration of victory. Everyone associated with sports needs to hear that message more. The message is sound, the credibility of Krzyzewski as the messenger is, unfortunately, not.

For years, Duke's Cameron Crazies have been patronized by fans and media alike with a wry smile, a wink and a nod. However, anyone that has ever attended a basketball game at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium knows that television cannot even do justice to the constant disgusting, profane, even vulgar atmosphere that often prevails. Krzyzewski's comments and many more could accurately describe the demeanor that accompanies virtually every Duke home game against a rival, which Krzyewski has praised and encouraged since his arrival at Duke almost 20 years ago.

I don't have a problem beyond having a small endorphin tingle when a rival's known whining gets spotlighted.

Reaction Score
Something’s wrong here. Cant quite put my finger on it. Not sure if I want to either. :confused::confused:

Never, never...put your finger on sour grapes. The ripe smell does not wash off.

A little whiff when a sour graper walks by is enough.

Reaction Score
Never, never...put your finger on sour grapes. The ripe smell does not wash off.

A little whiff when a sour graper walks by is enough.
The sour ones are bad, the dookie ones are worse.

Reaction Score
Hold up. Didn't Coach Staley make claim that her players weren't familiar with the type of ball used during a game vs UConn when they lost a couple seasons ago? Something about it being a Wilson instead of Spalding (or vice versa)?

There was a fair bit of chatter on the UConn board about it. Don't understand how South Carolina fans are taking shots at Duke here.

Reaction Score
Hold up. Didn't Coach Staley make claim that her players weren't familiar with the type of ball used during a game vs UConn when they lost a couple seasons ago? Something about it being a Wilson instead of Spalding (or vice versa)?

There was a fair bit of chatter on the UConn board about it. Don't understand how South Carolina fans are taking shots at Duke here.
Irony meter just beeped. Speaking of unfounded accusations, I see no gamecocks “taking shots at Duke here.”

Methinks it was just an opportunity for someoneto bash our fan base . Maybe I’m wrong. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Naw....Duke basketball is what it is....and they have a rep.

Coach K after winning his last tournament....

“There was no crowd when guys were warming up,” Krzyzewski said, via ESPN. “And that damn floor was slippery on both ends.”

And sometimes we ACC Duke's opponent fans often share the sentiment of the UNC homey Greensborough News and Record...when Coach K whined about the demeanor of a UNC basketball player after a Duke defeat.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski's derogatory comments about UNC player Makhtar Ndiaye's postgame behavior following Carolina's ACC Tournament championship victory over Duke deserve some analysis and comment.If Krzyzewski's description of Ndiaye's taunting the Duke fans was accurate, the coach was correct when he stated (in his own way) that poor sportsmanship detracts from the celebration of victory. Everyone associated with sports needs to hear that message more. The message is sound, the credibility of Krzyzewski as the messenger is, unfortunately, not.

For years, Duke's Cameron Crazies have been patronized by fans and media alike with a wry smile, a wink and a nod. However, anyone that has ever attended a basketball game at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium knows that television cannot even do justice to the constant disgusting, profane, even vulgar atmosphere that often prevails. Krzyzewski's comments and many more could accurately describe the demeanor that accompanies virtually every Duke home game against a rival, which Krzyewski has praised and encouraged since his arrival at Duke almost 20 years ago.

I don't have a problem beyond having a small endorphin tingle when a rival's known whining gets spotlighted.

Screenshot_20230204-105747~5.png

Reaction Score
DOOKIE grapes stink more than sour grapes . Did you not have a childhood?

Perhaps I should have included a Beavis and Butthead pic.
Maybe you should have as it didn't come across as a Beavis and Butthead joke.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
From the Associated Press article that appeared in ESPNw:

"Lawson said that throughout the first half, Duke players were "complaining about the ball" while going 7-for-34 from the field in the opening 20 minutes. They were 12-for-38 in the second half. Florida State made 10 of its 30 shots in the first two quarters and 14 of 31 in the second half.

"Lawson said assistant coach Winston Gandy went to the scorer's table at the half to check on the ball when he realized what the problem was. She said the game officials changed the ball to start the second half.

"We have concluded through our investigation that it was a men's ball," Lawson said. "The conference and Florida State is saying that it wasn't."

"The ACC said it did a comprehensive review, talking with game officials, administrators, the table crew and both schools."

Dillon thought:

Per the blue highlight: If Duke players were complaining throughout the half, why didn't Winston Gandy or Kara Lawson request the refs look at the ball at an earlier point in the half? This single point has me gobsmacked.
I coached travel soccer for years and in my first year, a home team once started with a wrong-sized ball. My players -- on a throw-in -- recognized the difference. We brought it to the ref's attention, he reviewed it and changed it. From there on, I always checked the ball -- home or away.

Back to Coach Lawson and the Associate Press:

- "To have a game that, at the end of the season, could be the difference between a seed, between a title, my players don't deserve that and neither do their players," Lawson said.
"It's a complete failure. And you can figure out who the people I'm talking about that failed the sport and our players and both teams."

Dillon:

If this did happen -- and Duke and FSU/ACC are on different sides of the truth ledger -- then it's a mistake.
But, Coach: just who are you talking about? If you're going to shoot and blame, can you pinpoint it for us?

BTW, the silence from FSU is starting to become deafening.

And, per my earlier comment, it might be worth having your staff check on the game balls (even in a passing manner on the road) just to make sure? No detail is too small.

If internet sleuths and/or Duke conclusively prove the ACC was flat-out wrong or being less than truthful, whoa nellie, to quote @triaddukefan .

Last point: I hope/doubt this is what Coach Lawson had in mind, but the pre-game prep at South Bend should be really interesting tomorrow around 12:45 - 1 p.m. ;)

Reaction Score
From the Associated Press article that appeared in ESPNw:

"Lawson said that throughout the first half, Duke players were "complaining about the ball" while going 7-for-34 from the field in the opening 20 minutes. They were 12-for-38 in the second half. Florida State made 10 of its 30 shots in the first two quarters and 14 of 31 in the second half.

"Lawson said assistant coach Winston Gandy went to the scorer's table at the half to check on the ball when he realized what the problem was. She said the game officials changed the ball to start the second half.

"We have concluded through our investigation that it was a men's ball," Lawson said. "The conference and Florida State is saying that it wasn't."

"The ACC said it did a comprehensive review, talking with game officials, administrators, the table crew and both schools."

Dillon thought:

Per the blue highlight: If Duke players were complaining throughout the half, why didn't Winston Gandy or Kara Lawson request the refs look at the ball at an earlier point in the half? This single point has me gobsmacked.
I coached travel soccer for years and in my first year, a home team once started with a wrong-sized ball. My players -- on a throw-in -- recognized the difference. We brought it to the ref's attention, he reviewed it and changed it. From there on, I always checked the ball -- home or away.

Back to Coach Lawson and the Associate Press:

- "To have a game that, at the end of the season, could be the difference between a seed, between a title, my players don't deserve that and neither do their players," Lawson said.
"It's a complete failure. And you can figure out who the people I'm talking about that failed the sport and our players and both teams."

Dillon:

If this did happen -- and Duke and FSU/ACC are on different sides of the truth ledger -- then it's a mistake.
But, Coach: just who are you talking about? If you're going to shoot and blame, can you pinpoint it for us?

BTW, the silence from FSU is starting to become deafening.

And, per my earlier comment, it might be worth having your staff check on the game balls (even in a passing manner on the road) just to make sure? No detail is too small.

If internet sleuths and/or Duke conclusively prove the ACC was flat-out wrong or being less than truthful, whoa nellie, to quote @triaddukefan .

Last point: I hope/doubt this is what Coach Lawson had in mind, but the pre-game prep at South Bend should be really interesting tomorrow around 12:45 - 1 p.m. ;)
If Lawson specifically called anyone out, she could be fined by the ACC. She chose her words carefully there.
Per new ACC rule, Captains will now verify that the game ball is correct at the pregame meeting for every ACC game. I'm sure Duke staff will always check from now on, too.

Reaction Score
The ACC investigated...said they talked to everybody...found nothing...

By the by...

An NCAA men's basketball can be 9.39 inches in diamter...and a women's basketball can be 9.23 inches and both be compliant.

Maybe that .16 makes a difference....but also it may be difficult to eyeball.

Reaction Score
And...both teams played with the same ball...and FSU out scored the Dookies in both halfs....it was evident that Duke had trouble with the Noles.

Reaction Score
And...both teams played with the same ball...and FSU out scored the Dookies in both halfs....it was evident that Duke had trouble with the Noles.
And Lawson made it pretty clear that she is upset about the cover up and she should be. She wanted those responsible to own their mistake. They didn't, so she put them on blast.

Reaction Score
Really nothing to see here...

Unless you really think the conference would go out of their way to lie....coverup (and I don't see it).

We all love conspiracies....but I still am not buying it.

The truest part of her statement was that the loss could affect Duke's seeding...

Reaction Score
Really nothing to see here...

Unless you really think the conference would go out of their way to lie....coverup (and I don't see it).

We all love conspiracies....but I still am not buying it.

The truest part of her statement was that the loss could affect Duke's seeding...

No, the part of her statement that you want to believe........

Truth has nothing to do with your posts

The league doesn't want to give a dog a bone if it doesn't have to. That is what their investigation set out to determine and it concluded that it didn't have to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom