ACC Preseason Poll & All-ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC Preseason Poll & All-ACC

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Joanne couldn't run from Uconn anymore :D

Well fans of UConn that will cheer for #23 this year are glad that McCallie ran from UConn. :rolleyes:

Tell me that I'm wrong.. :cool:

Reaction Score
I guess if a team other than Notre Dame wins the ACC this year.. They will put an asterisk next to it in the record book.

Seeing that since they entered the conference the Irish have exposed the once powerful ACC as a paper tiger I'd suggest we wait till someone other than Notre Dame actually wins the title before we have that discussion. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anyway, I'm looking forward to making a trip to Durham this Sunday afternoon... Get to see my beloved Blue Devils in action for the first time. Got a ton of newcomers that I'm looking forward to seeing for the first time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am not sure which tact I should take here with you so let me do both:
1. Would you rather have UNC with their Men’s BB titles along with the Men’s disgraced program at Louisville instead because that hasn’t exactly worked out well
2. The conference claims ALL NCAA Titles matter (including Women’s) as it wants to tout itself as the pre-eminent Athletic Conference along with its high academic standards.
Humbly submitted :rolleyes:

On Louisville..... hindsight is 20/20 of course......... I was ok with that addition at the time. On UNC...... I'd prefer them with Zero titlesHead bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I miss the ACC.

You mean those classic Maryland-Iowa, Maryland-Nebraska matchups dont thrill you? :p

You guys were good fans in terms of attendance at the ACC tourney.....definitely added to the atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Who else joined the ACC the year ND did? I feel like another team did, but I can't remember. Then the next year Louisville and (?) joined and Maryland and (?) left. I swear there were more teams with the switching but I'm not sure at all. It would be an even better conference if Maryland stayed. Then Maryland would have to have a better schedule lol.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who else joined the ACC the year ND did? I feel like another team did, but I can't remember. Then the next year Louisville and (?) joined and Maryland and (?) left. I swear there were more teams with the switching but I'm not sure at all. It would be an even better conference if Maryland stayed. Then Maryland would have to have a better schedule lol.

I think Syracuse and Pittsburgh came along with ND.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
On Louisville..... hindsight is 20/20 of course.... I was ok with that addition at the time. On UNC. I'd prefer them with Zero titlesHead bang
Hindsight was not my view of Pitino. I knew him back at Providence and want you to think of your animus towards UNC and that is my view of Tricky Ricky....

Reaction Score
I honestly wish UConn would join the ACC and that ND would go ahead and sign up for football in the league as well. The direction of college sports is towards 16 team super conferences. It will happen someday. UConn is geographically a great fit for the ACC.

Reaction Score
National titles in college football and men's college basketball are much more important.. At least that's what I've heard
We all know that football is the economic engine that has driven all the conference realignment, switching and changes that has occurred. Given that Clemson won the NC, the ACC is still not considered an overall strong football conference. The big expansion a few years ago was a lot about MBB and there was a lot of talk about a dominant basketball conference. In reality, the conference is anchored by 2 legendary programs and a bunch of other programs. If UCONN was added to the conference, they would slide in at about #3 in overall legacy in MBB and of course #1 in WBB.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Notre Dame might not be quite the same without Brianna Turner, but they have plenty of weapons coming back and a good point guard in Thompson. There is no team in the ACC that is ready to dethrone Notre Dame. I think Duke will be the second-best team.
Which is indicative that the ACC is a mediocre conference in WBB

Reaction Score
Well fans of UConn that will cheer for #23 this year are glad that McCallie ran from UConn. :rolleyes:

Tell me that I'm wrong.. :cool:
...or was it more like #23 ran from her for an obvious greater opportunity!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Uhm... Francesca Pan must have a really good PR person working for her and Georgia Tech. Looking at her stats from last year and I don't see ANYTHING that would justify all ACC selection. Pan shot .369 for the season-worst among GT starters and among the worst on the team. She had 40 assists in 36 games and 78 turnovers. Dominique Toussaint of Virginia had superior numbers.

As did UVA's other guards, including senior Breyana Mason and fellow soph Jocelyn Willoughby. UVA is rated fifth this year and could be something of stealth team...almost all of their top players are back and they're tough, physically and mentally. Gave ND a heck of a battle.
Big year for Coach Joanne Boyle....she's playing on a one-year contract extension until the end of this season and will probably have a new Athletic Director making a decision on her fate. Think this is a solid crew, but she'll have to them in peak running form.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Which is indicative that the ACC is a mediocre conference in WBB

I don't even know what mediocre means in this context. There's a pretty clear separation between the Power 5 and the other conferences. Last year, the Big Ten was weak, so they were clearly #5 of the P5. So the ACC is one of the top 4 conferences in the country for WBB. Last year, it was ranked #3 by both Sagarin and Massey.

But I suppose that's how it usually goes here. "The ACC isn't good!" "The SEC isn't good!" "The Big 10 isn't good!" Ok, but then...who is? To hear it here, there is *maybe* one good conference in all of WBB. Two if you use the "the AAC is the best because it wins the most National Championships" argument.

Reaction Score
I don't even know what mediocre means in this context. There's a pretty clear separation between the Power 5 and the other conferences. Last year, the Big Ten was weak, so they were clearly #5 of the P5. So the ACC is one of the top 4 conferences in the country for WBB. Last year, it was ranked #3 by both Sagarin and Massey.

But I suppose that's how it usually goes here. "The ACC isn't good!" "The SEC isn't good!" "The Big 10 isn't good!" Ok, but then...who is? To hear it here, there is *maybe* one good conference in all of WBB. Two if you use the "the AAC is the best because it wins the most National Championships" argument.
There aren’t any teams to fear in the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I miss both the SWC and the Big 8.

But moving along.... I'm surprised that Miami and Syracuse were ranked so highly... Ahead of both GaTech and UVA. They lost so so so much.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I miss both the SWC and the Big 8.

Me too. Or how about the old Metro Conference, Great Midwest and then Conference USA in it's early days. I hate super conferences and consolidation!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom