ACC Off-Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC Off-Season

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Give him some donuts and he’ll say anything!

giphy.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@FanInNC @LETTERL

I know yall will appreciate this story. I was in the self-scan checkout line at the grocery store yesterday., wearing a Duke top. As I was scanning some peanut butter cookies, a Man in another line spoke and said "I saw your shirt and had to say something". I was thinking oh no.. not another Chapel Hill fan talking mess. I was wrong, he did that Wolfpack sign that yall do with your hands and fingers and started to chant "Go To Hell Carolina, Go To Hell" :D:D He talked about how it good to felt to finally win the ACC again for the first time since he was a Senior in High School.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As of May 6th

1. ND
2. State
3. Duke
4. Louisville
5. Hopefully not Chapel Hill
6. F$U
7. Stanford

( who knows)

16. Pitt
17. SMU
18. Wake Forest

Reaction Score
The new ACC schools are gonna learn to hate Chapel Hill very quickly. I'm not biased but they are the easily the most sanctimonious & arrogant fan base this side of Jupiter. And it rubs down on their athletes. One example they always say. (for as long as I've lived) "If God isn't a Tarheel, then why is the sky Carolina Blue? Makes you not want to even leave the house on a Sunny Day. :mad: Rant over
They can't be worse than ND fans. Not wbb specifically, but their fans are top tier arrogant.

WBBTakeover

Lindsey Harding for Fever head coach
Reaction Score
lol. You clearly haven’t lived in NC.
Exactly. They act out all over that state, but the level of entitlement they display in Charlotte is truly something else.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Between Chapel Hill, Notre Dame, UVA, Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Wake Forest.... Whole lotta uppity schools and fanbase in the ACC :confused:

Reaction Score
They can't be worse than ND fans. Not wbb specifically, but their fans are top tier arrogant.
Interesting.....I have not had that experience with ND fans. They are always friendly when I have attended football and basketball games in South Bend. Cannot say the same for Carolina fans!

Reaction Score
What are the fan dynamics in Indiana in general? I assume there must be some similarities to what’s at play in NC? ND seems like Duke. A national brand, but a small private school so actual alums living in state are probably a rare breed. Indiana and Purdue must make up the majority of the sports fan population in the state similar to how State and Carolina do here?

It looks like the campuses are all a good 2 or 3 hours away from each other. In NC Duke, State and Chapel Hill make up the triangle and are all within 25 miles of each other. Perhaps that makes some of the dynamics unique. No one is in a bubble. There is no local news that caters to just Duke or State - everyone is covered by the same writers and news rooms and radio shows. But there is certainly an arrogance among the average unc fan that is palpable.

Reaction Score
I don’t find the UVA women’s bb fan base to be uppity at all. Can’t get tickets to the men’s games, so who knows.
I think Tech fans may disagree. I do think some people in the state of VA view Virginia alums and students as snobs. At least that has been my experience as an alum.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I don’t find the UVA women’s bb fan base to be uppity at all. Can’t get tickets to the men’s games, so who knows.
They're not (and neither are the players, for the most part). The insiders can be. The football and MBB fans definitely are.

Reaction Score
I’d say in general there is less snobbery and arrogance and just general behavior among women’s basketball fans. At least that’s my experience. Football and men’s basketball brings out that side of fandom more in my experiences.

Reaction Score
Between Chapel Hill, Notre Dame, UVA, Stanford, Cal, SMU, and Wake Forest.... Whole lotta uppity schools and fanbase in the ACC :confused:
I don't find Cal fans "uppity?" We're actually a pretty diverse and chill group of people...except maybe when we play our cross-bay rivals....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a whole WBB fans are a polite, bunch in person. The only bad apple I've come across was years ago (2015) at a Chapel Hill v SCAR Sweet 16 I was in my Duke shirt supporting the Chickens.. and a female Chapel Hill fan was sitting directly behind me. When the band played the Tarheel fight song... she stood up and sang along... near the end of the song she chanted... Go To Hell Duke. I was thinking to myself.. I don't remember that in any of the lyrics :confused:

I think Tech fans may disagree. I do think some people in the state of VA view Virginia alums and students as snobs. At least that has been my experience as an alum.

Some? :cool::rolleyes:;);)

I'm conflicted on this... I'm team land grant so I favor VPI, but I also have been a fan of UVA sports since I was a youngster and have always thought highly of the school as a whole since grade school.

I don't find Cal fans "uppity?" We're actually a pretty diverse and chill group of people...except maybe when we play our cross-bay rivals....

I was just joshing... I threw Cal in there just for fun. But you guys are the flagship so you know how that goes. ;)

And like an above posters said.... arrogance in certain fanbases mainly applies to Football and MBB. With a few exceptions in WCBB. :rolleyes:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
The NCAA Softball Selection Committee made a...choice. How a team that has an RPI of 4, a Top 5 ranking nationally, several quality wins, and two ACC titles (sweep) receives a 10 seed is beyond me. I get that the SEC (throughout) and Big 12 (at the top) are strong, but still.

Coach Marissa Young has to be absolutely fuming right now. I hope this snub fuels a WCWS run.

Reaction Score
As of May 6th

1. ND
2. State
3. Duke
4. Louisville
5. Hopefully not Chapel Hill
6. F$U
7. Stanford

( who knows)

16. Pitt
17. SMU
18. Wake Forest
Just two quick notes, Triad:
1) you might have Wake overrated at 18.;)
2) regarding the relative 'merits' of ACC fanbases, my brother is one of the fairest and most reasonable sports fans I know, yet when it comes to men's basketball, his love for the Tarheels turns him into a different person. And he went to Williams College in Massachusetts. Somehow, that Carolina arrogance spread to New England!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just two quick notes, Triad:
1) you might have Wake overrated at 18.;)
2) regarding the relative 'merits' of ACC fanbases, my brother is one of the fairest and most reasonable sports fans I know, yet when it comes to men's basketball, his love for the Tarheels turns him into a different person. And he went to Williams College in Massachusetts. Somehow, that Carolina arrogance spread to New England!

I will have to look through the roster again. 18 is probably too low.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok looks like Stanford and Cal cant join the picnic until a few weeks later. More fried chicken amd potato salad for you SMU.

Reaction Score
WOW! I know y'all have small hall, but that run to the Final Four looks like it's paying dividends. I wonder how Courtney feels about packing a small place?
Not sure how many years this has been the case, but season tickets have sold out for State every year since 2021 for sure. Maybe more. Maybe not. The final four run certainly energized the fan base, but selling out season tickets is the norm since State started reeling off ACC titles. The fanbase has been hungry for a winner!

Honestly I think the Final Four run got overshadowed by the men to an extent. I think the women’s run to the final four would have captivated a larger portion of the fan base had the men lost out or never made the tournament. The improbability of what the men did winning 5 games in 5 days in DC to capture the conference title for the first time in 37 years had Wolfpack nation in a frenzy. Not only winning it, but beating the hated rival Chapel Hill to do so. Then following it up with a Cinderella run to the final four with a win over another neighbor and national brand, Duke, only further entrenched the fans in the storybook run.

Scheduling wasn’t ideal at times either. During the sweet 16 both the men and women were playing at the exact same time! During the elite 8 the games overlapped for a portion as well. It was a shot of the good stuff straight into the veins for a thirsty fan base no doubt! But I do think it pushed the women’s story to the back burner a bit.

If the men weren’t beating a top 2 seed and punching a ticket to the elite 8 as a lovable underdog - the women taking on Stanford with a top 5 pick and a legendary coach would have got way more play locally. A lot of fans probably didn’t even watch it with the Marquette game going on simultaneously.

The women took out Tennessee, Stanford and top seeded Texas! Sure fans were excited in Raleigh, but I definitely think fan bandwidth was stretched thin during that and some of the moments and drama wasn’t as magnified as it otherwise would have been.

Wes has built something special in Raleigh. His results, banners and his persona have made him the most beloved coach currently at State regardless of sport - and I don’t think it’s particularly close. I think expectations are high next year. Season tickets sold out this past year and we were picked 8th in the conference. Next year with the core returning and the highly anticipated new additions, fans will certainly be expecting another top 5-10 team and to compete for another conference title and final four.

Reaction Score
WOW! I know y'all have small hall, but that run to the Final Four looks like it's paying dividends. I wonder how Courtney feels about packing a small place?
Also - Coach Courtney will feel as she always does leaving our small gym with another L to hold. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom