Aaliyah Edwards! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Edwards!

Reaction Score
Probably happened after she was flattened against the US National team by one of Steph’s patented blindside picks.... :oops:

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
I don't think polio makes you stronger, nor does emphysema.... I can think of many other things.

Learning lessons, keeping them learned, getting positive and frequent encouragement, and working harder than your competition tends to make one stronger....

Concur with your assessment on the "patented blideside picks..." as you learn, or end up in the hospital and/or physical therapy and/or mental therapy....

Reaction Score
I love what I have seen so far... but let's slow down the AE roll just a little. She provides a strong inside presence (I think I've see a few BY posts about needing more bigs... lol). But, we have played two undersized teams, and she has not showed she can make anything other than a layup. I hear she can hit the 15 footer, but I have not seen that yet. I think her ceiling is very high, given her strength and athleticism... but's let's wait just a bit before we anoint her the next Tina Charles.... or Aisha Jones....

Reaction Score
Agreed. It is FAR too early to talk about starters next season. Not even Geno has any idea what the quartet for next season will look like when they get to campus and start playing.

Heck, even if Aaliyah averages 18PPG off the bench for the rest of the season, it's doubtful she will crack the starting lineup UNLESS one of the starters goes into an extended slump. Having said that, I'm super impressed with how college ready Aaliyah already is.

Even this season, we've seen sophomore Aubrey literally disappear for almost an entire game and Evina and Anna struggle a bit to get on track offensively. But Aaliyah comes off the bench, plays super powerful, and is making an impact early.

Those of us who discuss rankings felt Aaliyah was at least a top 10 recruit, and possibly top 5. But for whatever reason (probably because she did not play in the US and there was no frame of reference for her play vs. other AAU US players), she was unranked by most and lower for those who did rank her.

She's much more mature for a freshman post player than anyone I can think of in recent memory. Post players traditionally take at least a year or 2 to develop - a-la the Tina Charles comments. I think Edwards also has a ton of upside. How awesome is it that she is already a beast with aggression and the ability to finish around the basket?

Add in even more post moves, a hook shot, the mid-range and deep game (so far she's a better FT shooter than junior ONO so maybe her mid-range game is already developed), and she's going to be special. Future AA for sure if she continues to grow and improve. I find it stunning that any service ranked Nika ahead of her (that international service did so). Love this kid and am so excited to watch her grow and develop.
I think we are witnessing the benfits of having Jamelle in practice and on the sidelines. She has the same fire as she did in the NCAA final four, and it translates well into Edwards's game.

I agree completely with your assessment as well for these first two games. I pray that it will continue and cressendo in the Baylor and South Carolina matchups, and be maintained in all the games in between....

Reaction Score
My prediction: Geno is at most a game or two away from replacing Anna with Aaliyah in the starting lineup. I think his postgame comments (in the floor interview with the TV announcers) strongly implied this. ("To advance in March, you need a strong inside presence -- offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding -- and she provides that.")

I see the Asjha Jones analogy more than the Tina Charles analogy, but a more recent exemplar for Aaliyah is Morgan Tuck. Morgan was also a star in her freshman year, before she re-injured her knee. Morgan had the same strength in the paint and rebounding ability, with the flair to hit the occasional jump shot from further away. Morgan also knew how to position herself without the ball to get a pass and finish without opposition. I see all those things in Aaliyah.

The biggest question with Aaliyah is how many minutes she can play before she gets into foul trouble. Can she learn to control her fouling without losing her aggressiveness?

If you want to find someone to compare to Tina Charles, I suggest that you consider Mir McLean. Mir isn't as tall, but she has the same rock solid body and the same competitiveness in the paint. She also has the same immaturity as a freshman that Tina also had of going on "space walks" and missing assignments, i.e., not consistently having her head in the game when she isn't battling for a ball in the paint. It will take a year or more for her to outgrow that, and then her physical skills (strength, speed, and athleticism) appear to be comparable to Tina's.

As I said elsewhere, I think both Olivia and Evina will remain in the starting lineup all year, and before long their statistical production will justify that. Evina's stats other than scoring have been exemplary in the first two games, as Olivia's was tonight. Olivia really just had a "bad 4 minutes" at the beginning of the 3rd quarter of Saturday's game during which she shot 0-for-7; otherwise her productivity offers little to complain about. Her running the floor and getting transition opportunities has been superb in both games.
Most of the 0 for 7 was on the same play: lots of offensive boards but no scoring on one possession. OUCH! Take it down and then dunk!

Reaction Score
My prediction: Geno is at most a game or two away from replacing Anna with Aaliyah in the starting lineup. I think his postgame comments (in the floor interview with the TV announcers) strongly implied this. ("To advance in March, you need a strong inside presence -- offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding -- and she provides that.")

I see the Asjha Jones analogy more than the Tina Charles analogy, but a more recent exemplar for Aaliyah is Morgan Tuck. Morgan was also a star in her freshman year, before she re-injured her knee. Morgan had the same strength in the paint and rebounding ability, with the flair to hit the occasional jump shot from further away. Morgan also knew how to position herself without the ball to get a pass and finish without opposition. I see all those things in Aaliyah.

The biggest question with Aaliyah is how many minutes she can play before she gets into foul trouble. Can she learn to control her fouling without losing her aggressiveness?

If you want to find someone to compare to Tina Charles, I suggest that you consider Mir McLean. Mir isn't as tall, but she has the same rock solid body and the same competitiveness in the paint. She also has the same immaturity as a freshman that Tina also had of going on "space walks" and missing assignments, i.e., not consistently having her head in the game when she isn't battling for a ball in the paint. It will take a year or more for her to outgrow that, and then her physical skills (strength, speed, and athleticism) appear to be comparable to Tina's.

As I said elsewhere, I think both Olivia and Evina will remain in the starting lineup all year, and before long their statistical production will justify that. Evina's stats other than scoring have been exemplary in the first two games, as Olivia's was tonight. Olivia really just had a "bad 4 minutes" at the beginning of the 3rd quarter of Saturday's game during which she shot 0-for-7; otherwise her productivity offers little to complain about. Her running the floor and getting transition opportunities has been superb in both games.
Personally, I'm not ready to put Aaliyah and Morgan Tuck in the same sentence yet. Aaliyah has not shown the amazing deliberate footwork of Morgan, hitting outside shots, or running offense from the high post. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'd like to see an elbow shot next game. Baby steps.

Reaction Score
If Edwards cracks the starting lineup it will be to replace either Evina or Anna. Which one depends on who shoots better from the perimeter, as it is currently a team weakness. Beyond that, both are producing near identical numbers in similar minutes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm not ready to put Aaliyah and Morgan Tuck in the same sentence yet. Aaliyah has not shown the amazing deliberate footwork of Morgan, hitting outside shots, or running offense from the high post. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'd like to see an elbow shot next game. Baby steps.

You didn't see that from Morgan Tuck as a freshman either. Just give it some time. Edwards is even better than she's shown thus far.

Reaction Score
If Edwards cracks the starting lineup it will be to replace either Evina or Anna. Which one depends on who shoots better from the perimeter, as it is currently a team weakness. Beyond that, both are producing near identical numbers in similar minutes.
I would bet on Anna to win that battle. Evina’s best 3 point % at Tennessee was 38% as a sophomore. Even without having spent the last two years without playing a game, she is also still trying to get fully healthy, while Anna showed last year that she is (I think it is fair to say) at minimum a 40+% on 3 pointers. Evina is clearly a better defender, I would say passing is basically even with perhaps a lean to Anna, E provides more leadership and is (I believe) a calming/nurturing influence for the freshmen. If E were fully healthy, I would (somewhat reluctantly) choose her over Anna. However, I know from personal experience just how difficult it is to be forced to stop doing something that you did at a high level for several years and then to attempt to get back to that level. Shooting imho is more difficult to get back than dribbling, passing, and defending, and since outside shooting seems to be somewhat lacking on this team, I would have to say that E will likely move to the first option off the bench if/when Aaliyah becomes a starter. Of course, it is possible that Geno will value defense and leadership over 3-7 percentage points on threes.

Reaction Score
She is the next Tina Charles. Same body type and tenacity and nose for the basketball. Edwards already showing potential to hit a mid-range jumper to complete her game.

Reaction Score
Any doubt about Aaliyah? Her mentality is really astonishing

What a bright and articulate young woman .... so very impressed with her maturity and her outlook

Reaction Score
I think it’s a fun discussion- who should start. So many factors to consider. We haven’t had too many of these discussions recently, with our painfully short bench the last couple years.
One question might be, what do you want from the starters? I say that you want your consistently best unit. That may not be the best 5 individual players. I would vote for not switching up starting lineups so as to build roles. Another question might be what you want out of the first couple substitutions and who are the players that can fill those roles, like sparking team, energizing the D, hitting some shots, settling the team down. Currently, almost the entire bench is freshmen. So, if the game needs some adjustment, freshmen will be asked to make something happen.Maybe it would be good to have some experienced over there to go to.
I’m hoping Aaliyah cracks the starting 5. We’ve been complaining about our size. I think Aaliyah can learn “baptism by fire”. Have a steady hand to bring in, like Anna or E.

Reaction Score
I would bet on Anna to win that battle. Evina’s best 3 point % at Tennessee was 38% as a sophomore. Even without having spent the last two years without playing a game, she is also still trying to get fully healthy, while Anna showed last year that she is (I think it is fair to say) at minimum a 40+% on 3 pointers. Evina is clearly a better defender, I would say passing is basically even with perhaps a lean to Anna, E provides more leadership and is (I believe) a calming/nurturing influence for the freshmen. If E were fully healthy, I would (somewhat reluctantly) choose her over Anna. However, I know from personal experience just how difficult it is to be forced to stop doing something that you did at a high level for several years and then to attempt to get back to that level. Shooting imho is more difficult to get back than dribbling, passing, and defending, and since outside shooting seems to be somewhat lacking on this team, I would have to say that E will likely move to the first option off the bench if/when Aaliyah becomes a starter. Of course, it is possible that Geno will value defense and leadership over 3-7 percentage points on threes.
From an offensive point of view, Anna wins that battle most probably, although at some point, I think EW can do things that Anna can't do like break down a defense with penetration. However, on the defensive end, AM may be a liability in some or even many games guarding the wing player on the other team. I can see AM given minutes at the 4 and 3, depending on matchups.

When Liv and AE are in the game, you want somebody to help stretch the floor, in particular the corner to open up and give space for Liv and AE as well as cutters. AM will be more consistent in this role, although that does not mean EW can't do it. I just don't think she will be as good at AM at it. But then, as mentioned, on the defensive end, AM has to guard the other teams more athletic 3.

Reaction Score
I see Aaliyah as potentially the number two star on this team. She has all the tools, the most obvious of which is her aggressive play.

Perhaps it is obvious because of its contrast to ONO's sometimes confounding lack of same.

Edwards is the rare aggressive big who brings it to Storrs. All the hotshot recent bigs: Charles, Dolson, Stewart, were go-getters after a year or two or three under CW and Geno's tutelage, but no one has to teach Aaliyah anything about intensity.

She finishes better than most, runs the floor, toughs it out on defense, digs the ball out of the dirt with second and third efforts and, importantly, she looks comfortable in the passing game.

Paige, et al, are sniffing around the edge of being a new prototype WCBB passing team and Aaliyah fits right into that style of play.

Reaction Score
I love what I have seen so far... but let's slow down the AE roll just a little. She provides a strong inside presence (I think I've see a few BY posts about needing more bigs... lol). But, we have played two undersized teams, and she has not showed she can make anything other than a layup. I hear she can hit the 15 footer, but I have not seen that yet. I think her ceiling is very high, given her strength and athleticism... but's let's wait just a bit before we anoint her the next Tina Charles.... or Aisha Jones....
I hear ya there. But we are all excited (as is Geno!) from what we saw. To be honest, if she only gives us a 'strong inside presence' and can get some offensive rebounds and put them back in, provide some D and give some minutes, that is all we need from her. That alone could equate to 10 and 10 every night. The girl is strong, athletic and brings it.

I don't think teams will be able to keep her off the stat sheet for long and she has months to develop before March! She doesn't need to be TC or AJ this year....But I am thinking she could give us what AJ gave us as a freshman. That would be terrific.

Reaction Score
I agree that the team is going to need more of Aaliyah to go deep. I think the quote from @JoePgh , "To advance in March, you need a strong inside presence -- offensive rebounding, defensive rebounding -- and she provides that." is quite telling. I know this is the minority opinion (and I am ready for the fall out) Buuut, I am not on the Olivia bandwagon. I know it's early but we have played two relatively small clubs. Games that were there for Liv to dominate and she played well. But she should have dominated and did not. My opinion is she is too nice and plays too polite. I expected monster improvement this year and really have seen none. She has the same habits that caused her difficulties against better posts last year. Namely she starts her shot very low, frequently around the shoulder. I'm no talking about her 15 footer, but underneath the hoop. Secondly she has to gather herself to make a second jump. Now I admit that she looked terrific catching the ball on the run and scoring open layups and also I was shocked that she made 3 15-17 footers. (I think that was an abberation based on her catapult shooting style and her free throw percentage). Compare Aaliyah's stat line for the last game against Liv's when Liv played 25 minutes and Aaliyah played 18. Remember which player sent the opponents flying and which was knocked off her shot by shorter players, thus preventing and 1's. In the future I don't see us benching Anna because we need her threat of 3's and she also makes the offense flow. I think Aaliyah's minutes come from Liv. Now I understand that many feel that we need Liv's defensive presence and I also remember many BY posts about her swatting at shots.

I agree. We need to see more from Olivia. She needs to work on catching the ball cleanly. Aaliyah is a beast. She powers in and grabs the rebound and puts it right back up. No hesitation. A foul now and again, but a good foul that shows her physicality.

Reaction Score
We keep saying Olivia needs to do this, Olivia needs to stop doing that, Olivia needs to bulk up, Olivia needs to develop this post move. Olivia is a junior now. OK she HAS improved on the swatting down and fouling, and she could still develop her post offense (although there’s no evidence of this). At this point I suspect we’re pretty much seeing what we’re going to get from Olivia. She isn’t going to totally transform into a different player.

We do need Olivia for what she does provide - especially Olivia the rim protector. But I think starting Aaliyah along side her at the 4 makes us a lot better matchup vs. elite teams with size. I’d like to see that experiment begin right now, work the kinks out and have it humming by the time we face Baylor & SC.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We keep saying Olivia needs to do this, Olivia needs to stop doing that, Olivia needs to bulk up, Olivia needs to develop this post move. Olivia is a junior now. OK she HAS improved on the swatting down and fouling, and she could still develop her post offense (although there’s no evidence of this). At this point I suspect we’re pretty much seeing what we’re going to get from Olivia. She isn’t going to totally transform into a different player.

We do need Olivia for what she does provide - especially Olivia the rim protector. But I think starting Aaliyah along side her at the 4 makes us a lot better matchup vs. elite teams with size. I’d like to see that experiment begin right now, work the kinks out and have it humming by the time we face Baylor & SC.
Stewie ruined it for every post player that ever decides to attend UConn........ :oops:

Reaction Score
I think we are witnessing the benfits of having Jamelle in practice and on the sidelines. She has the same fire as she did in the NCAA final four, and it translates well into Edwards's game.

I agree completely with your assessment as well for these first two games. I pray that it will continue and cressendo in the Baylor and South Carolina matchups, and be maintained in all the games in between....
Agree with the energy Jamelle brings. Let's not forget that CD coached bigs for many years and many championships. She likely deserves credit as well. Nice to have both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom