AAC leader Mike Aresco touts new media rights deal... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC leader Mike Aresco touts new media rights deal...

Reaction Score
Not really true, ESPN+ is a tab on your pc and laptop. If you want to watch on a tv, you need to add on Roku, or Amazon, et al.
Or you can connect a HDMI cable from your PC to TV, then you can watch on a TV.

Reaction Score
Or you can connect a HDMI cable from your PC to TV, then you can watch on a TV.
Or just pay the 11 buck / month and get 6 or 8 games/month --rather than the Gampel or Hartford per game price, parking transportation, snacks, etc. The best investment I made in UC WBB..

Reaction Score
This just highlights another reason why it is imperative for UConn to get out this mid major and into a power 5 conference. These are the payouts for the Power 5 schools, hard to compete when you are making at most 1/4 of what other schools are making.

SEC: $42.M to $39.9M
--Big Ten: $37.2M to $37M
--Big 12: Roughly $34.3M per school except Baylor
--Pac-12: $30.9M per school
--ACC: $30.7M to $25.3M except Notre Dame
The number are great. What is greater: EXACTLY how does UConn get into a P5 conference? I believe if it could be done, it would have been done.
Apparently, Uconn needs a competitive Football team--and they've needed that for 20 or so years. So, how do the BY FAN's make that Happen?
Same old song,same old words, nothing changes.

Reaction Score
Absolutely correct!!! They've got us over a barrel and they know it!!! Take "Netflix" as an example. Just a few years ago, it cost $6.99 a month to subscribe. It just went up $2 to $12.99 this month, and I expect another increase about this same time next year.

The old law of supply and demand. The same reason Disneyland and Disney World can raise their prices through the roof, and not have it effect their bottom line. The demand has been and remains high. The increase in admission prices more than compensates for the few folks than can no longer afford to go. ;)
I witch and moan as others but the reality is that prices they are a Increasing. I have come to accept: If my stocks go up I should be willing to pay my fair share. I didn't say I liked it, it's just fair.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The number are great. What is greater: EXACTLY how does UConn get into a P5 conference? I believe if it could be done, it would have been done.
Apparently, Uconn needs a competitive Football team--and they've needed that for 20 or so years. So, how do the BY FAN's make that Happen?

We had a competitive football team up until the old Big East was eviscerated in 2012.

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? If SNY makes a rational business decision, they will pay ESPN for the broadcast rights if and only if they can get more advertising revenue for the broadcasts than the sum of their production costs plus the ESPN payment.

It’s more of a question whether ESPN will offer broadcast rights to SNY for a nonprohibitive price. They will do that if and only if what they receive from SNY will exceed the incremental monthly subscription revenue that they could get by withholding the broadcast rights.

The missing piece here is who will undertake to incur the production costs. If no one steps up to do that, then ESPN will not realize any revenue from these games. It seems that they expect UConn to pay directly for production costs. I guess that might happen (and Megan and Justine might be retained that way), but it seems more rational for SNY to do it in exchange for broadcast rights. I think that is what will ultimately happen, after a lot of negotiating brinksmanship.
SNY will do it. That's what they do. They have all the infrastructure in place, sponsor relationships, everything. Of course ESPN has this capability too, but they aren't going to put new resources in place for basically a local WBB team that no way will pay back with ESPN+ subscriptions and ad clicks. It'll all get figured out.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
for the price of a sixpack of regular old beer, or the cost of 2 bags of doritos, you get everything UConn (and a whole lot more) for I month on espn+. sounds good to me, especially since UConn will be getting a whole lot more, too. I don't get the sturm und drang, and gnashing of teeth about this whole thing.

Reaction Score
for the price of a sixpack of regular old beer, or the cost of 2 bags of doritos, you get everything UConn (and a whole lot more) for I month on espn+. sounds good to me, especially since UConn will be getting a whole lot more, too. I don't get the sturm und drang, and gnashing of teeth about this whole thing.
Do you think ESPN is going to send a production truck and crew to cover the big Wichita State matchup on a Tuesday night in January with zero chance to recover the cost? Do you think ESPN is going to do 10 Geno Shows a season? Do you think ESPN will do an all access show?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) UConn was quite competitive less than 10 years ago. They won they were Big East Champs twice, when to the Fiesta Bowl and have beaten traditional powers like South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Actually UConn Football has a longer history, and more success than most casual non fans are aware of:

2) You most certainly don't need football success to get invited into the P5 otherwise how the heck would Rutgers be in the Big 10?

That said I don't see our conference status changing in the near future.

Reaction Score
SNY will do it. That's what they do. They have all the infrastructure in place, sponsor relationships, everything. Of course ESPN has this capability too, but they aren't going to put new resources in place for basically a local WBB team that no way will pay back with ESPN+ subscriptions and ad clicks. It'll all get figured out.
There are a lot of moving parts here. SNY has great ratings for UConn WBB. But they always got pushed to the side for big games. The treatment they’ve endured has been despicable, from ESPN and the AAC. There is a year left to figure it out, but I’m not hopeful. I refuse to pay for privilege of supporting P5 schools through ESPN.

CL82

Reaction Score
OTA games gives broader exposure to the team. Losing SNY would be a big hit to us.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

He's just flapping his gums. The hole is still in the donut. Until the ESPN+ and SNY relationship, IF Any, is worked out, we still look like the screwed in this deal.

Reaction Score
1) UConn was quite competitive less than 10 years ago. They won they were Big East Champs twice, when to the Fiesta Bowl and have beaten traditional powers like South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Uconn was in the BE less than 10 years ago? My how the time does fly, it seems like forever.

Actually UConn Football has a longer history, and more success than most casual non fans are aware of:
View attachment 42965
2) You most certainly don't need football success to get invited into the P5 otherwise how the heck would Rutgers be in the Big 10?

That said I don't see our conference status changing in the near future.
Nice history of Uconn FB. The question remains: With "success" 20 years ago what impact does that have on Uconn getting into a P5 school. The follow up on that is: What is currently required to get into a P5 school if "winning" i.e. have a competitive FB program isn't the model to follow, what is?
Or is there significant prejudice against Uconn, apparently, that at least has been stated in long ago posting on the By about the ACC.
Lots of words have been posted on the By about "the need to get in to a P5 conference". Nothing has changed no recommendations other than --we must get out ot the AAC--what is available to Uconn?? To ME this is a dead horse with no solution. So I accept the status quo.

Reaction Score
We had a competitive football team up until the old Big East was eviscerated in 2012.
What did the "evisceration" of the BE have to do with the fading of Uconn FB? Some pretty fair teams in the BE in both FB and BB. What did that have to do with UC not being in a more TV visible Conference. Does anyone believe Uconn is in the AAC because it was most desireable. Independence wasn't an option.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nice history of Uconn FB. The question remains: With "success" 20 years ago what impact does that have on Uconn getting into a P5 school. The follow up on that is: What is currently required to get into a P5 school if "winning" i.e. have a competitive FB program isn't the model to follow, what is?
Or is there significant prejudice against Uconn, apparently, that at least has been stated in long ago posting on the By about the ACC.
Lots of words have been posted on the By about "the need to get in to a P5 conference". Nothing has changed no recommendations other than --we must get out ot the AAC--what is available to Uconn?? To ME this is a dead horse with no solution. So I accept the status quo.
"The model" to get into a P5 conference is a moving target. Sometimes it has been football competativeness (though typically not) sometimes it has been geography, sometimes demographics. Basically you need an existing P5 conference with a need that you meet. Sound like a rule that is difficult to build an action plan around? It is.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
What did the "evisceration" of the BE have to do with the fading of Uconn FB? Some pretty fair teams in the BE in both FB and BB. What did that have to do with UC not being in a more TV visible Conference. Does anyone believe Uconn is in the AAC because it was most desireable. Independence wasn't an option.

I didn't indicate the breakup of the old Big East was the cause of UCONN's football demise.

There were many factors that played into that. Edsall left as HC after the Fiesta Bowl game in 2011, partly because he and AD Jeff Hathaway hated each other's guts. Hathaway, knowing he was on the way out as AD, then picked Paul Pasqualoni to take over the program, a hire that turned out to be disasterous. Then the new AD Warde Manuel replaced him with an even worse hire, Bob Diaco.

UCONN never left the old Big East. The AAC is the successor entity to it. The catholic schools of the old Big East only bought the conference name. The new Big East has nothing to do with the old.

Being in a BCS football league as we were up until 2014 helped with football recruiting because the conference had a guaranteed New Year's Day bowl slot for the winner. That's how we got into the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. The AAC, as Big East successor, retained the BCS bowl bid during its first season, but that went away with the end of the BCS and switch to the CFB 4-team playoff system after 2014. We went from a power conference to a non-power G5 league. Now the AAC must compete with the other G5 conference teams for one slot in the New Year six bowls. That affects recruiting. It's not the only reason for UCONN's football decline, but it's one factor.

We're in a league largely comprised of southern, football centric schools. They have far more recruiting opportunities being located in hotbeds of elite high school football. We're at a decided recruiting disadvantage against those schools.

Football is important but it isn't the sole determining factor that would or would not get us an invite to a P5 conference. Media market, brand, overall commitment to the entire athlectic program, and other factors come into play. We'd be better off with a strong football program, but it's not the only consideration. Temple has managed to build a successful program in essentially the same part of the country, and in the same conference. There should be no reason why we can't do the same. It will take a financial commitment from the school that up until now they haven't been willing to go all in on.

There could be some movement among teams from certain conferences again when media rights deals start expiring in the 2020's. Whether an opportunity for UCONN to move up presents itself is anybody's guess. We would do well to make all our programs as competitive as possible by then.

Reaction Score
There is zero chance any of the P5 will feel obligated to share their money.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
For me it's simple. We will get less broadcast coverage for all our sports. We will get less or no money from SNY. We will get streaming coverage but have to pay for it, meaning less viewers and eventual loss of fans..
This deal is good for the league and bad for UConn.
If we had a way out we should take it. But we don't.
This sucks.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
He's just flapping his gums. The hole is still in the donut. Until the ESPN+ and SNY relationship, IF Any, is worked out, we still look like the screwed in this deal.

We are the outlier of the AAC. We're in a league where we have little in common with any of the other schools, with the possible exception of Temple and maybe Cincinnati. The rest of the schools are southern, football centric schools. Losing the SNY deal only screws us. The rest of the league membership has nothing to gain from it so they don't care. We're at a point where we are outvoted by every other league member. Aresco can get away with ignoring us because he knows we've got nowhere else to go at present. The football power schools likely resent having us in the conference since we're taking a share of football revenue without contributing anything to it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Anyone get this? Is he saying there will be 13 total games with American teams televised, or 13 games that involve only American matchups? If it's the former, UConn was on 10 times nationally this past regular season, just not all on the ESPN's. Trying to figure out if he means conference matchups or is including non-conference games in that number.

UConn women's basketball in particular could get a boost in ESPN airtime, he said.

"UConn can be on 10 times out of 13 appearance [the conference] is going to have for the women," Aresco said. "The guarantee we had in 2018-19 was four. This is a significant presence for UConn women's basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
Anyone get this? Is he saying there will be 13 total games with American teams televised, or 13 games that involve only American matchups? If it's the former, UConn was on 10 times nationally this past regular season, just not all on the ESPN's. Trying to figure out if he means conference matchups or is including non-conference games in that number.

UConn women's basketball in particular could get a boost in ESPN airtime, he said.

"UConn can be on 10 times out of 13 appearance [the conference] is going to have for the women," Aresco said. "The guarantee we had in 2018-19 was four. This is a significant presence for UConn women's basketball.
Of course we got 100% (close enough) televised this past year so fut the shuck up Mike.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Of course we 100% (close enough) televised this past year so fut the shuck up Mike.

This guy is a complete moron. Aresco honestly thinks UCONN women's BB fans are jumping for joy because he says we CAN be (notice he doesn't say WILL be) on ESPN 10 times? With the SNY deal, it didn't much matter, except to anybody that doesn't have SNY, because any games not on any other channel were always on SNY. Take that away and it's a net loss of at least several games that won't be televised over the air, likely against the dregs of the AAC, and maybe a few others.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Its based on the home team. If UConn's the home team, it counts, even if they're playing Stanford.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Do you think ESPN is going to send a production truck and crew to cover the big Wichita State matchup on a Tuesday night in January with zero chance to recover the cost?

All of the games will be covered. Every school is obligated to cover them all. So Wichita State will pick that up. How is this so difficult for people to grasp?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom