AAC Expansion | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AAC Expansion

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
FAU's basketball arena giving ECU a run for their money...

FAU-arena.jpg
I went to a d3 school with a better basketball turnout than this

Reaction Score
Please answer my original question about recruits and coaches.
to be clear, I am not arguing that we should have stayed in the AAC or that the Big East isn't a decent landing spot. However, that landing spot needs to be temporary if we're going to maintain ourselves at the big table as an athletic department.

Reaction Score
to be clear, I am not arguing that we should have stayed in the AAC or that the Big East isn't a decent landing spot. However, that landing spot needs to be temporary if we're going to maintain ourselves at the big table as an athletic department.

Yeah and I would take a Big 10 or ACC invite without thinking twice about it. I’m just not too sure that will ever happen

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think what he is saying is that the Big East, temporarily at least, is a better conference for UConn, but make no mistake that eventually when the P5/P4 schools decide they are going to eat the whole enchilada, then they will eat the whole enchilada. Schools like Butler, Creighton, PC, Xavier, DePaul will have no pull whatsoever with the new sports world order, and are not any different than Memphis, Temple, USF, UAB, etc. That's why this holier than thou attitude towards the AAC reconstitution is a bit unsettling. UConn is firmly on the outside looking in in the college new world order. The money, be it NIL, football revenues, and eventually non-NCAA basketball revenue will be the ultimate decider of the have and have nots. There is a slim chance that UConn's football fortunes rise up, but man oh man, being the worst team in FBS kind of makes one a bit jaded when expressing hope for a sanguine future.
I knew what he was saying. My point was and is football at this point, or ten years down the line simply is not ready to join Big time football. Whether it's big time football, together or separate from the NCAA, UCONN football does not position UCONN to join that shift.

I hate to say it, but if the future iteration of professional major college sports is to be joined by a powerful and select few by way of success on the football field, then accept it. Undoubtedly, this will lead to revenue generating athletic opportunities for those left out of that professional loop. I get the frustration. I would love to see us in the BIG. We'd maintain our status at MSG and the quality of hoops does nothing but benefit the program. But, its nuts to continue to say the ship has sailed for a P5 invite when we were never really in the running. We were never set up (not even in the mid 2000's) to pursue Big time football in a way that would assuage our fears of being left out.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
That’s true to a certain extent but why do we keep ignoring all the recruits and HS coaches etc saying that UConn in the Big East makes a huge difference for the program? It’s clear that the AAC was not only a net negative but an anchor around the neck
Exactly! Swept under over and over.

Reaction Score
I knew what he was saying. My point was and is football at this point, or ten years down the line simply is not ready to join Big time football. Whether it's big time football, together or separate from the NCAA, UCONN football does not position UCONN to join that shift.

I hate to say it, but if the future iteration of professional major college sports is to be joined by a powerful and select few by way of success on the football field, then accept it. Undoubtedly, this will lead to revenue generating athletic opportunities for those left out of that professional loop. I get the frustration. I would love to see us in the BIG. We'd maintain our status at MSG and the quality of hoops does nothing but benefit the program. But, its nuts to continue to say the ship has sailed for a P5 invite when we were never really in the running. We were never set up (not even in the mid 2000's) to pursue Big time football in a way that would assuage our fears of being left out.
a state-of-the-art new stadium and practice facilities, membership in a BCS conference, ranked teams, regular bowl appearances, a BCS bowl appearance, yet "not set up to pursue big time football"? Maybe not now due to three bad consecutive hires, but back then? Please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
when we were never really in the running. We were never set up (not even in the mid 2000's) to pursue Big time football in a way that would assuage our fears of being left out.

Agree with the overall sentiment, but that part is a little harsh. We made a good go of it, and were comparable to Rutgers which got on the train.

Given where everything stands now, its clearly time to move on.

Reaction Score
Agree with the overall sentiment, but that part is a little harsh. We made a good go of it, and were comparable to Rutgers which got on the train.

Given where everything stands now, its clearly time to move on.
Completely disagree that it's time to wave a white flag. It's time to double down.

All of these former Big East members got the brass ring, these are NOT better athletic programs than us:

Rutgers
Pitt
Syracuse
WVU
Louisville
BC
Cincinnati

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ooooo, the hate be flowin...
Birmingham, Alabama, bigger than any city in New England not named bahstan. headquarters of the SEC, and host to next year's World Games, at the new U AB home field.
PROTECTIVE-STADIUM-PHOTOS5-1170x658.jpg

sumone here said replaced by schools of 'lesser prestige.' sumone here also said 'the arrogance is palpable.'
something old:
Rice. nobels, rhodes scholars, billionaires, absolutely on top of the 'having an international reputation for excellance' alumni mafia.
speaking of the future, it was ranked first in the world in materials science research by Times Higher Education. what's their endowment, like 10x ours?
something new:
UTSA.
'UTSA is the receipt of the CAE-Cyber Operations, CAE-Information Assurance Research (CAE-R), and CAE-Cyber Defense designations making it one of the few universities in the nation to hold three National Center of Excellence designations from the National Security Agency.
in things cyber security, at the top is either UTSA or Carnegie-Mellon, nice neighborhood.
UTSA, which is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, became the recipient of Excelencia in Education's Seal of Excelencia in 2020 and is one of only 14 colleges and universities nationwide to earn this prestigious certification.' wiki,
noice. here's a commencement of theirs -only 40,000 attended.
800px-UTSA_Spring_2013_Commencement.JPG

you can be both 'for' realizing that us in the big east is the right move, for now, as well as recognizing that the new aac has realistically good prospects for being something in football, where the college cash is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Birmingham, Alabama, bigger than any city in New England not named bahstan. headquarters of the SEC, and host to next year's World Games, at the new U AB home field.

sumone here said replaced by schools of 'lesser prestige.' sumone here also said 'the arrogance is palpable.'
something old:
Rice. nobels, rhodes scholars, billionaires, absolutely on top of the 'having an international reputation for excellance' alumni mafia.
speaking of the future, it was ranked first in the world in materials science research by Times Higher Education. what's their endowment, like 10x ours?
something new:
UTSA.
'UTSA is the receipt of the CAE-Cyber Operations, CAE-Information Assurance Research (CAE-R), and CAE-Cyber Defense designations making it one of the few universities in the nation to hold three National Center of Excellence designations from the National Security Agency.
in things cyber security, at the top is either UTSA or Carnegie-Mellon, nice neighborhood.
UTSA, which is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, became the recipient of Excelencia in Education's Seal of Excelencia in 2020 and is one of only 14 colleges and universities nationwide to earn this prestigious certification.' wiki,

you can be both 'for' realizing that us in the big east is the right move, for now, as well as recognizing that the new aac has realistically good prospects for being something in football, where the college cash is.
Man I wonder how long this took to make. Like how much pitiful research you did to try to hold on to your utterly idiotic narrative.

Reaction Score
why grade them on a curve?
Uhh, because they needed to add teams and there's a limited pool available. So the question is within that pool, how well did they pick?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

something old:
something new:
UTSA.

The Alamodome holds a maximum of 32,000 in a basketball configuration, which is what you are showing (Configuration Maps | Alamodome). And it is generously at 50% that capacity. Stop lying.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Time for a new fake persona. Maybe this one could pretend to be British or somethin’.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Completely disagree that it's time to wave a white flag. It's time to double down.

All of these former Big East members got the brass ring, these are NOT better athletic programs than us...
So what? I still don't understand the point you are trying to make or hear you offer a realistic scenario where we move up. It's just the same dead horse beating.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It’s called puffery…you shared the picture. 4,400 grads don’t bring 9 people each. In any event, it’s a drug school and I am glad to be as far from them, UNT, FAU and the others as possible.
i just learned that UTSA football is currently one of eleven undefeated teams in the nation.
3e7ad725b860fb607e1eedee8a54968b.jpg

VCE

Reaction Score
So I owe Benedict an apology. When we moved to the New Big East, I understood it but I didn't like it. I thought the damage to football of leaving the AAC was not in the long term interest of the Athletic Department, even though in the short and intermediate term it was certainly better for basketball to be in the Big East.

I was wrong and he was right. If we had stayed in the AAC, and it played out the way it has, we'd be leaving now anyway.
In time, you may even refer to it as the Big East. It sure feels like the original more than the
So I owe Benedict an apology. When we moved to the New Big East, I understood it but I didn't like it. I thought the damage to football of leaving the AAC was not in the long term interest of the Athletic Department, even though in the short and intermediate term it was certainly better for basketball to be in the Big East.

I was wrong and he was right. If we had stayed in the AAC, and it played out the way it has, we'd be leaving now anyway.
the current version sure feels like the “original” version than any iteration post Rutgers, ND, WVU, Miami, VT, etc. we have 6 of 8 original members back. (Pitt was not original, nova was, but joined a year late).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom