A weak link in Geno's armor | The Boneyard

A weak link in Geno's armor

Reaction Score
Just to show how spoiled we are as Uconn WBB fans. I was reading a comment from a fan on this board that Geno's cannot win in OT games. Lets look at the record, yes he lost the last three such games:
3/4/2013 at ND 87-96 in 3rd OT; 11/17/2014 at Stanford 86-88 OT; 4/2/2017 in NCAA Semi FF in Dallas
vs Miss St 64-66 OT. So during that span 3 years & 29 days Geno lost a total of 4 games 3 in OT and the (Conf Champ game to ND on 3/12/20130) while winning a total of 160 games which include the NCAA record of 111 consecutive wins.
Lets smell the roses!

Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to smell the roses, when the game went to overtime, I thought UConn was in big trouble, because they don't win the overtime games.

Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to smell the roses, when the game went to overtime, I thought UConn was in big trouble, because they don't win the overtime games.

You made my point! Instead of focusing on the positive side of an extraordinary accomplishment 160 wins of 164 games which will probably not be repeated in our lifetime, one focuses on three specific losses.

Reaction Score
Actually, it's six specific losses. They lost 2 OT games to ND in 2012 and to Duke in '06. In the last 6 overtime games they are 0-6.

But I completely get your point, I'm just busting your chops a little:).

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
To win consistently in overtime games you need a Go TO Guy that can create their own shot and score at will: Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart.
We did not really have one this year.

Reaction Score
Geno even admitted that the Stanford ot loss was his fault. All they had to do was foul on the last play of regulation when they were up 3 points. Uconn doesn't practice those situations enough since their games are all usually blowouts. As i said in the other thread chong shouldn't have had the ball at the end of the game, it has to be the best player on the court to have it especially when its tied and there's no way you can lose even if they just let the time run out.

Reaction Score

While it's true that UCONN DID NOT WIN IN O.T. ---did you ever consider that SHOULD UCONN GET INTO O.T. --it meant they were in a game they would have LOST in regular time--i.e. O.T. just meant Uconn played them into O.t.
My point is Uconn is NOT destined to win all games--and work their tails off to LOSE in O.T.
It is NOT a weakness--it's a strength to have taken those teams to O.T.
If you see a TREND in Uconn losing in O.T.---
Why don't you see the TREND of UConn winning---they have won hundreds of more games in regular time than they have lost in O.T.

Reaction Score
Geno even admitted that the Stanford ot loss was his fault. All they had to do was foul on the last play of regulation when they were up 3 points. Uconn doesn't practice those situations enough since their games are all usually blowouts. As i said in the other thread chong shouldn't have had the ball at the end of the game, it has to be the best player on the court to have it especially when its tied and there's no way you can lose even if they just let the time run out.

It is so much BS--if you believe Geno's comment of the loss being his fault--he has also said --"he can't play the game for them"--if you read what Geno says --you can argue ever possible point on winning and losing. Don't always take Geno's word as the final word on the subject--his words are tailored to fit the situation--Would you have wanted to be in the Gym with Geno they day or 2 after losing to Stanford--if it was his fault why have any fear of that practice???
How do you practice to win in OT?? Well--you practice to WIN anytime. Blowouts have nothing to do with not practicing OT . You practice your team to win in every possible situation--OT is just regular time extended.

Reaction Score
Maybe someone has already made this point, but the ending of the Mississippi State game reminded me of the end of the 1999 men's championship game, when Duke senior Trajan Langdon tried to drive the lane and was stopped (traveled? lost the ball?) with the likes of underclassmen Elton Brand, Shane Battier and Chris Carrawell (maybe also Maggette?)on the floor.

Reaction Score
And the Monday morning armchair quarterbacks are out!

If there were not monday morning armchair Quarterbacks---there would be no Boneyard or 100 similar sites. I don't like the premise that it is a trend or Geno can't coach in OT situations--which means he can't coach at all--but let the discussions flow--at this point in the season it's just hot air.

Reaction Score
Actually, OT isn't why they lost. UConn had an off night and MSU had a great night. That's always a good combo for an upset. But in the long run this will probably be a good thing. None of the returning players are going to want to feel that disappointment again. I'm sure they will redouble their efforts next year!

Reaction Score
To win consistently in overtime games you need a Go TO Guy that can create their own shot and score at will: Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart.

You mean we didn't have any 1 of the 4 greatest college/pro players in history? Well, how many coaches since 1995 have had even 1 such player? I think only Summit and Mulkey and more than coincidentally they won Championships with those players too. We were very blessed to have had these players. How many of out National Championships were won without them? One I think. We did have three all americans this year though and a player that started for the Canadian Olympic team. Should have been good enough, but they lacked maturity?

If my data is correct, in the Maya/Stewie/Current year Uconn has been involved in only 9 OT/Plus-Minus 3 point games and has won 4 of them. In the MSST game, FSU, Tulane and several ND games in past years it came down to the wire and we didn't look like we knew what we were doing, even though we still ended up winning a few of those.

Win or lose (except to Notre Dame), I enjoy close games way more than blowouts. The only reason to watch a blowout is to see the bench players, but Geno gives them a ridiculously small amount of playing time considering the score of most games.

This thread and a few others are about the fact that Geno has become a rock star on ESPN, HBO, this and other boards. It is not about the loss the other night or the incredible run. His motion offense is brilliant and he makes good half time adjustments. But as a game manager, he does not appear to be anything special. He does not play his bench and hardly ever has.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't think Lou can create her own shot and score at will?! There is plenty of video evidence to dispel that notion.

HGN

Reaction Score
Giving credit where credit is due , most of those OT games came about when UCONN had lost key players to fouls. T he Huskies are due a couple of bad games from time to time like other schools. It's not bad that they go into OT , the fact is it shows how good they are to get the game to OT. When many schools would have lost the game in regulation.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
You made my point! Instead of focusing on the positive side of an extraordinary accomplishment 160 wins of 164 games which will probably not be repeated in our lifetime, one focuses on three specific losses.

Frenchy (I like that handle) that's where you are wrong.

Next year (2017-18) AND the following year (2018-19) UCONN will go undefeated.

Soooo, how about this record on or about April 6, 2019:
.......extraordinary accomplishment 240 wins of 244 games......

Wont have to worry much about winning late or in OT.....

AND, look at this this 7 already on the roster for 2019-2020....
Batouly Camara
Crystal Dangerfield
Andra Espinoza-Hunter
Mikayla Coombs
Lexi Gordon
Megan Walker
Charli Collier

Can't see a loss for the next 3 years.....try 120 in a row during that time...

Just SAYIN...

Reaction Score
For every 'Yes' their is a 'No'. Those 30 pt. win's are great & reassuring but with a 2 pt. win, their's panic & frustration. Going into 'Overtime', God help us & Gino, I admit that I can't watch !

Reaction Score
You don't think Lou can create her own shot and score at will?! There is plenty of video evidence to dispel that notion.
Actually, I don't think she can in EVERY GAME SITUATION. Not yet, at least. She is better at getting open than most players, but against a team with a determined defense (and we have now seen how UConn can be vulnerable to a team that can attack the pass), a lot of her skill/talent is negated. Think about it. During the semifinal game, how many times did you see the crisp one-two-three-four pass around the outside lead to a successful open shot? Maybe two or three. In most games? Maybe 8 or 9. Makes a difference, not to mention the fact that such a tight defense throws the rest of their game off, too.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If there were not monday morning armchair Quarterbacks---there would be no Boneyard or 100 similar sites. I don't like the premise that it is a trend or Geno can't coach in OT situations--which means he can't coach at all--but let the discussions flow--at this point in the season it's just hot air.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying they are out.

Reaction Score
Actually, I don't think she can in EVERY GAME SITUATION. Not yet, at least. She is better at getting open than most players, but against a team with a determined defense (and we have now seen how UConn can be vulnerable to a team that can attack the pass), a lot of her skill/talent is negated. Think about it. During the semifinal game, how many times did you see the crisp one-two-three-four pass around the outside lead to a successful open shot? Maybe two or three. In most games? Maybe 8 or 9. Makes a difference, not to mention the fact that such a tight defense throws the rest of their game off, too.
Agree that for some reason, UConn did not run normal offense against MS. At times it seemed that Gabby stood at key deciding whether to go one on one. Worked some of the time; other times at end of game not so much. On other subject, Lou was money in every game I saw where Geno ran the offense through her within key. Good reason to leave her outside and let Gabby and Collier have open drives but in this game having 6'3" Lou get 10" jump shots over 5'9" defender may have been the play. Enjoyed the year and look forward to these conversations next year.

Reaction Score

There is evidence that NO player can create their own shot in EVERY situation or can score at WILL---Even DT with a will of IRON
or Candace or Stew--could do as you say Lou CAN:t---there is oodles of evidence to dispel the theory they can. Who Can???
We saw in the MD game and a few others --when she puts her mind to it 80 times out of 100 she can score---no one is perfect!

Reaction Score
Actually, it's six specific losses. They lost 2 OT games to ND in 2012 and to Duke in '06. In the last 6 overtime games they are 0-6.

But I completely get your point, I'm just busting your chops a little:).

You know, it's kinda funny! I wonder what Coach Geno would say about it? Would be a good question for Justine or Rebecca to ask him. Given what a perfectionist Geno is, I'm guessing that he's thought about it more than a little.

He is a deep thinker, and he's got a well thought out opinion on just about every facet of the game, and his team's game. So it would be interesting to hear what he says.

I do recall his admitting that he screwed up the game strategy in Maya Moore's tournament loss her senior season.

So worth asking.

Reaction Score
Geno is one of the all time great coaches. I would view the OT stats as more a factor of him going all out in regular season and playoffs and having a team that is somewhat worn down by lack of substitutions throughout playoffs and regular season. The 11 championships back up the worth of this strategy. Unreasonable to think it will work 100% of the time. Stats also indicate the downside which also includes a high number of stress fractures and related injuries. Worn down teams make mistakes as we saw in the last game.

Reaction Score
For every 'Yes' their is a 'No'. Those 30 pt. win's are great & reassuring but with a 2 pt. win, their's panic & frustration. Going into 'Overtime', God help us & Gino, I admit that I can't watch !

I complained every time someone called this team YOUNG or UNDERSIZED---in the final game/analysis--that proved to be true.
It was a Young team, one that had not OFTEN been tested in BIG game situations--MD was a bit of a test --but they coasted on a 30 point advantage--and scrambled to hold on--not really a test. Youth is great to play games--youth rarely has the experience to overcome
when on the brink of defeat, apparently this team did not--there was nothing Geno or the team could have done to overcome that. Next year with this experience--let some one test Geno in overtime--to their regret.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom