OT: - A Tradition will end this year | The Boneyard

OT: A Tradition will end this year

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Up until a few years ago the Northwestern and Southwestern portions of Indiana didn't change. Half of the year they were with New York and the other half with Chicago. After they were forced to change to the same time as the rest of the state by federal law, they analyzed the costs of the conversion. The average cost was over $340 more in energy costs because of the change.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually it's the opposite -- the sun sets later and rises later in DST. It'll mean I'm going to work in the dark three months a year rather than one month a year. Yet another reason to retire.
Well, as is the case now that companies realized how much money they save on rent with everyone working from home, I don't have to worry about commuting in the dark, I just flick on a switch and walk down the stairs to my den.... :cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, as is the case now that companies realized how much money they save on rent with everyone working from home, I don't have to worry about commuting in the dark, I just flick on a switch and walk down the stairs to my den.... :cool:
Hard to do for a lab rat, although my lab’s being shut down for renovations next month, so I’ll be right there with ya for a few months.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Hard to do for a lab rat, although my lab’s being shut down for renovations next month, so I’ll be right there with ya for a few months.
Is that lab at Yoyodyne?

Reaction Score
I was a Pratt rat for more than thirty years, but I've been at home, not working, for a millennium. This millennium, having retired at the end of the last.

Reaction Score
Many years ago didn't we have year round DST during an oil embargo or something? Or am I delusional (again)?

sun

Reaction Score
Many years ago didn't we have year round DST during an oil embargo or something? Or am I delusional (again)?

"The US did briefly try observing permanent daylight-saving time in the early 1970s. But the experiment, which began in December 1973 in the last months of President Richard Nixon's presidency, ended less than a year later after numerous safety complaints and concerns about children having to walk to school in the dark."

temery

What?
Reaction Score
"The US did briefly try observing permanent daylight-saving time in the early 1970s. But the experiment, which began in December 1973 in the last months of President Richard Nixon's presidency, ended less than a year later after numerous safety complaints and concerns about children having to walk to school in the dark."

username checks out.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I was a Pratt rat for more than thirty years, but I've been at home, not working, for a millennium. This millennium, having retired at the end of the last.
Me too, 1/1/2001. DST has little impact on me. Usually I don't know what day it is let alone what time it is. I go to bed when I'm sleepy and get up when I feel like it.

Reaction Score
All that's needed now is for them to declare the day after the super bowl a national holiday. That would be heaven!

Reaction Score
That 1973 experiment was a disaster. A whole slew of children were killed while waiting for buses in the dark. Doesn’t anybody pay attention to the lessons of history?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
That 1973 experiment was a disaster. A whole slew of children were killed while waiting for buses in the dark. Doesn’t anybody pay attention to the lessons of history?
The affect on children waiting for the bus in the dark is certainly an issue that must be considered when evaluating 12 month DST. The data from the 12 month DST experiment in the seventies should be among the most important data used in the decision.
Having said that do you have data to support your claim of "A whole slew of children were killed ". I'd be interested in seeing it. Despite the obvious concerns for children's safety, I do not recall a significant surge of children being killed due to DST morning darkness.

Reaction Score
The affect on children waiting for the bus in the dark is certainly an issue that must be considered when evaluating 12 month DST. The data from the 12 month DST experiment in the seventies should be among the most important data used in the decision.
Having said that do you have data to support your claim of "A whole slew of children were killed ". I'd be interested in seeing it. Despite the obvious concerns for children's safety, I do not recall a significant surge of children being killed due to DST morning darkness.
The article about the experiment in the March 15th edition of the Washington Post mentions that eight children were killed in Florida. Other specifics were not given. Since that is only one state, I would have confidence in my “whole slew” assertion. In reality, one child’s death as a direct result of having to wait for a bus in the dark would be too much for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom