A shining light..................... | The Boneyard

A shining light.....................

Reaction Score
Amidst all the darkness we find our beloved mens basketball program currently in, lets for a moment be positive and discuss the one shining light............Athletic Director David Benedict. To me, he is both an energized and dynamic AD who not only understands what it takes to thrive in today's landscape, but has the cojones to do whatever it takes to put UConn in a better place long term. When I think about our future and its leadership, especially comparing it to our past, there is not a better person for the job. He will right this ship at any cost because he knows the future of UConn athletics depends on it. Rest well lads, we are in good hands.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Without deep pocketed donors, his "skills" are neutered until April 2019 at the earliest.

Reaction Score
Without deep pocketed donors, his "skills" are neutered until April 2019 at the earliest.
He can "scrape together" the buyout money. Where there is a will, there is a way. He gets it. Truth is, if our hands are really tied to a buyout even at 10mil, there is little hope going forward.

Reaction Score
Amidst all the darkness we find our beloved mens basketball program currently in, lets for a moment be positive and discuss the one shining light..Athletic Director David Benedict. To me, he is both an energized and dynamic AD who not only understands what it takes to thrive in today's landscape, but has the cojones to do whatever it takes to put UConn in a better place long term. When I think about our future and its leadership, especially comparing it to our past, there is not a better person for the job. He will right this ship at any cost because he knows the future of UConn athletics depends on it. Rest well lads, we are in good hands.
I hope so. Our leadership has failed us miserably so far. I can’t believe nobody in the press has the guts to call out Susie Herbst for the University’s failure to join a P5. How many millions has this ineptitude cost?

Reaction Score
I hope so. Our leadership has failed us miserably so far. I can’t believe nobody in the press has the guts to call out Susie Herbst for the University’s failure to join a P5. How many millions has this ineptitude cost?

I wonder if Susie completely understood what was at play during that P5 shuffle? If an old President who had been through years with the big east saw what was on the horizon, could of made a more conscience effort to get Uconn out. Also i have no idea what effort Uconn made then. For all we know, Uconn could of been trying hard to get out but just couldnt. We did hear that certain ACC schools were blocking Uconn from getting in.

pj

Reaction Score
Good to know Mrs. Benedict is on the Boneyard!

Jokes aside, I have faith in Benedict. That's why as long as Benedict is sticking by Ollie, I'll be positive about him. I don't think it does any good to be spreading negativity about the coach or the program online. Contra Fishy, Benedict doesn't need a mob of thousands of complaining fans to figure out whether he needs to change coaches. I wish people would stop the negativity, support the team, coach, and program, and let Benedict do his job of finding the right captain for the ship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He can "scrape together" the buyout money. Where there is a will, there is a way. He gets it. Truth is, if our hands are really tied to a buyout even at 10mil, there is little hope going forward.
Out of curiosity, how much are you donating towards the buyout? I am always intrigued when people freely discuss the spending of money that someone else has an attachment to.

Reaction Score
Herbst is a academic first, which is hard to blame her for. But, we aren't a small elite liberal arts school or Ivy League. Herbst seems to believe Olympic sports matter. They don't. Tier 1 men's sports drives public flagship reputation.

As sick as it is, what matters is whether undergrad kids want to rep Uconn because it's cool and what our USWNR ranking is for prestige. Ranking is in large measure a function of admissions selectivity and the SATS and GPA of the admitted pool... purely a numbers game. The more applicants, the better the admitted pool demographics. National desirability and reputation as a winner makes UConn more desirable. Garnering prime time sports slots for many hours is incredibly valuable. We are systematically throwing that away.

Reaction Score
You better be right because so far under his watch the 2 biggest revenue sports are going down the tubes. He's going to need to make very good decisions to turn this around. He has no margin for error in his decisions.

Reaction Score
We can’t just join. We have to invited by them. They all have lots of current members that will be asked to give a lot of money for us. We need to be able to provide a return on their investment. The way we’re headed in MBB anf FB makes that almost impossible. We need to be the top in our conference first.

Reaction Score
You better be right because so far under his watch the 2 biggest revenue sports are going down the tubes. He's going to need to make very good decisions to turn this around. He has no margin for error in his decisions.

Very Wrong!

The collapse in football is due to two bad hires that Dave Benedict had nothing to do with, and the fall in basketball is completely on Ollie who Dave Benedict did not hire.

DB did the right thing in canning Diaco last year and its way too early to judge the Edsall rehire. The next big move is obvious, Ollie's time is up.

Ultimately DB will be judged by the success of Edsall and Ollie's replacement.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Dumb. She has no control over it or ability to cause it to happen. None. Zip. Nada.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how much are you donating towards the buyout? I am always intrigued when people freely discuss the spending of money that someone else has an attachment to.
If you understand the business of college athletics then it would be easy for you to realize a ten million dollar buyout should not prevent a coach from being fired. Otherwise, your post is simply passive aggressive. Truth is, you have no idea the back channels that DB has access to or if this buyout is an actual obstacle. My understanding is that it's not. And for what it's worth, if I had the resources , I would give him all 10. Wouldn't even ask for my name on a building.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very Wrong!

The collapse in football is due to two bad hires that Dave Benedict had nothing to do with, and the fall in basketball is completely on Ollie who Dave Benedict did not hire.

DB did the right thing in canning Diaco last year and its way too early to judge the Edsall rehire. The next big move is obvious, Ollie's time is up.

Ultimately DB will be judged by the success of Edsall and Ollie's replacement.
Benedict did get taken on the Ollie contract extension though. We wouldn't be gnashing our teeth if that wasn't the case.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
If you understand the business of college athletics then it would be easy for you to realize a ten million dollar buyout should not prevent a coach from being fired. Truth is, you have no idea the back channels that DB has access to or if this buyout is an actual obstacle. My understanding is that it's not. And for what it's worth, if I had the resources , I would give him all 10. Wouldn't even ask for my name on a building:
I may have a slightly better understanding than you are giving me credit for but for laughs, please educate me.

On a side note, I don't doubt that you would fund it entirely yourself if you could. As you (obviously) cannot, I don't see how you (or anyone for that matter) can freely state that ten million dollars should not be an obstacle. It still is a reasonably large number and the school using it to buyout a contract (as basically dead money) when they are actively soliciting contributions for many projects (both academically and athletically) that require tens of millions of dollars to fully fund may not be a very easy sell. This is compounded by a very recent buyout in another revenue sport.

For the record I am not asking those who continually cry about the situation to cancel family vacations and send the few thousand dollars that would save to a Fire Ollie fund. They should spend that money on their families, not something as discretionary as this. I just wish that those who feel the need to continue to whine about the same things over and over again, daily, would step back and realize we all get the point. We have a very poorly constructed, very inept, very limited team that does not appear to be coached to an acceptable standard. When we play SMU and then Temple over the next week we will see numerous post game threads acting as if what we now have as a basketball team is something that just appeared during that game.

If you can do something about it, so something about it. Don't increase the number of whining posts from 1,500 to 2,200. It doesn't accomplish a thing.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Benedict did get taken on the Ollie contract extension though. We wouldn't be gnashing our teeth if that wasn't the case.
Please expound.

Reaction Score
Dumb. She has no control over it or ability to cause it to happen. None. Zip. Nada.
Bull. She should have been on the front line of selling our school to the decision makers. We are talking millions and she should not have been involved? You better believe school presidents at the other schools were involved. Our administrators were asleep at the wheel

Reaction Score
Is he though? I thought it was drawn up by warde and just needed the signatures. It's pretty tough to go into your first week at the helm and reject that contract
I know he just walked into the job but once you're in charge blame falls on you. He has to fix it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good to know Mrs. Benedict is on the Boneyard!

Jokes aside, I have faith in Benedict. That's why as long as Benedict is sticking by Ollie, I'll be positive about him. I don't think it does any good to be spreading negativity about the coach or the program online. Contra Fishy, Benedict doesn't need a mob of thousands of complaining fans to figure out whether he needs to change coaches. I wish people would stop the negativity, support the team, coach, and program, and let Benedict do his job of finding the right captain for the ship.

Bingo!

If DB replaces Ollie, I'll know that he did it with a lot of forethought and with the appropriate evaluation of the coaching landscape. I have a lot of confidence in this guy, based on what we've already seen...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

A whole ton of supposition - where are the facts that you have showing that the administration did nothing to move UConn to a P5
Please post them so we can all see.
Until then I will continue to go on the assumption that nobody wanted the AAC as first choice
The ACC was the real target but BC, Cuse, Pitt, FSU and other blocked the way
I am waiting for the evidence - thanks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bull. She should have been on the front line of selling our school to the decision makers. We are talking millions and she should not have been involved? You better believe school presidents at the other schools were involved. Our administrators were asleep at the wheel
Evidence please

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom