A few things that can slow a pass rush. | The Boneyard

A few things that can slow a pass rush.

Reaction Score
To say Randy Edsall lacks imagination is to say Manute Bol was tall. But there are things even a conservative coach can do to slow the onslaught of defensive rushers with the goal of creating a clean pocket, time to pass, and a more confident QB.

For starters there are screen passes, they can he thrown to the running backs or the tight end. This will punish over eager defensive lineman. They can even be thrown to wide receivers. There are also QB rollouts, they can be done to either side. Unlike screen passes, we actually rolled out the QB in Fresno. The result was time to pass. Unfortunately, we only saw this once or twice. There are also ways to move the pocket, so the QB isn't in the exact same s[pot on every play. This gives an edge to the offensive line as they kknow where they are going and the defense doesn't.

Yeah, I know, this is high school passing game stuff. But Randy and the OC decided it was better to just sit in the middle of the pocket and hope we had time to throw. Given that, the offensive line did marginally well, 4 sacks for 27 yards is not a catastrophe, but our QBs rarely had time move through their progression. The coaching staff must simply do better.

Reaction Score
After watching the 1st half, I thought our OL play hurt us a lot. We couldn't run the ball and were in too many 3rd & long situations. That and the playcalling. Jack Zergiotis missing open targets on long passes didn't help either.

Thought the D played tough for about the first 20 minutes. They were getting off the field. Too many empty trips by our offense in that sweltering heat didn't help their cause. And once they finally surrendered an offensive TD it looked like they lost their composure. Fresno hit those 2 long TD passes (which were ridiculously embarrassing, especially the 85-yd one) and it turned into same-old-same-old for UConn.

I feel like the whole team tried hard, but once it started to get bad they lost their fight. Just a demoralizing day.

Reaction Score
You don't like the slow hand off out of the gun?
I love it when we do it at our own 8 yard line . It’s such a bad call Guifre must have thought it was genius. I can’t fathom the stupidity of this staff. It’s mind blowing. Using deep hand offs against a faster defensive front… brilliant. Trying to take the edge all game against a smaller, faster team…Brilliant. Not using your tightends to keep the LBs honest except once… Brilliant. Not passing to the middle of the field to stop rout jumping… brilliant. Not closing O line gaps and running between tackles against a smaller front.. Brilliant. These guys are utter incompetents.

Reaction Score
It was brought up multiple times during the broadcast how Fresno’s offense opened up the middle of the field via jet sweeps, designed outside runs, and screens as OP said.

For whatever reason, Guifre doesn’t seem to believe in that and would rather run straight into the guards backs out of the gun and rely on long throws to the sidelines when we inevitably end up in third and longs.

Reaction Score
It was brought up multiple times during the broadcast how Fresno’s offense opened up the middle of the field via jet sweeps, designed outside runs, and screens as OP said.

For whatever reason, Guifre doesn’t seem to believe in that and would rather run straight into the guards backs out of the gun and rely on long throws to the sidelines when we inevitably end up in third and longs.

It has to be RE. We have seen this too many times under different Offensive Coordinators.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To say Randy Edsall lacks imagination is to say Manute Bol was tall. But there are things even a conservative coach can do to slow the onslaught of defensive rushers with the goal of creating a clean pocket, time to pass, and a more confident QB.

For starters there are screen passes, they can he thrown to the running backs or the tight end. This will punish over eager defensive lineman. They can even be thrown to wide receivers. There are also QB rollouts, they can be done to either side. Unlike screen passes, we actually rolled out the QB in Fresno. The result was time to pass. Unfortunately, we only saw this once or twice. There are also ways to move the pocket, so the QB isn't in the exact same s[pot on every play. This gives an edge to the offensive line as they kknow where they are going and the defense doesn't.

Yeah, I know, this is high school passing game stuff. But Randy and the OC decided it was better to just sit in the middle of the pocket and hope we had time to throw. Given that, the offensive line did marginally well, 4 sacks for 27 yards is not a catastrophe, but our QBs rarely had time move through their progression. The coaching staff must simply do better.
Before he left the game, Jack Zergiotis wasn’t even running through his progressions. He was locking onto a target and hoping to deliver before he got tackled. I wonder how good he would be if he had more time. I’m not blaming the O line for him overthrowing open receivers, but I definitely think he’s working with a short internal clock.

Reaction Score
Maybe it would help to sit out another year or two and give the linemen more time in the weight room. If that doesn't work, then Randy could blame the ellipticals or the weights or whatever.

Reaction Score
It has to be RE. We have seen this too many times under different Offensive Coordinators.
The QB coach called the plays in 2019. Do we know for sure Giofre is calling the plays this year? I think we need an OC and giofre should just take care of his offense.
It was 120 on the field and it was our first game in 2 years. We need to beat holy cross by a good amount .. anything close doesn’t cut it on year 4

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom