#8 Oregon @ #15 Oregon St - 12/13/20 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#8 Oregon @ #15 Oregon St - 12/13/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Graves post game radio was real happy with about 2-1/2 quarters of the game and with the ball movement on offense and defense in the first half

Towards the end there was some sleep walking going on. (Not his words).

Reaction Score
Well yeah, Oregon was trash then and Reuck had a 4 year head start. Hard to judge any of those early matchups.
Paul Westhead a walking disaster of a coach before Graves. Destroyed the program and fan attendance dropped below 1500. Still mad at the Oregon AD for that hire. Graves was left with nothing before the Ionescu class.

Reaction Score
Ducks are a wonderful team. PaoPao is going to give Bueckers, Van Lith, and the Caitlyn Clark a run for FOY. I'm hanging this loss on Rueck. He stayed in the zone waaaay too long against arguably one of the best shooting teams, with a great post passer. RECIPE for disaster. Once he inserted Savannah Samuel & Mitrovic in the lineup and went man-to-man, Beavers were much better. I sure hope Rueck saw what I did, that his 3 freshmen (GoForth, Samuel, and Mitrovic) should be playing the big minutes, maybe all starting. I would add Taylor Jones at the 4, and, Goodman at the 2 with GoForth running the point. As much as the Ducks embarrassed OSU today, I believe this OSU team will be a handful come March.

Reaction Score
Who needs more minutes, who needs less minutes for this Oregon team through the middle of the season?

Reaction Score
Ducks are a wonderful team. PaoPao is going to give Bueckers, Van Lith, and the Caitlyn Clark a run for FOY. I'm hanging this loss on Rueck. He stayed in the zone waaaay too long against arguably one of the best shooting teams, with a great post passer. RECIPE for disaster. Once he inserted Savannah Samuel & Mitrovic in the lineup and went man-to-man, Beavers were much better. I sure hope Rueck saw what I did, that his 3 freshmen (GoForth, Samuel, and Mitrovic) should be playing the big minutes, maybe all starting. I would add Taylor Jones at the 4, and, Goodman at the 2 with GoForth running the point. As much as the Ducks embarrassed OSU today, I believe this OSU team will be a handful come March.
Seriously I don't think it was an embarrasment for OSU. OSU is just a couple players short this year. What was shocking is Rueck is known for stifling defensive teams. Look at the Pac-12 team stats this year and they are uncharacteristcally in the lower half of the conference. Never seen that in the last 5 to 6 years from a Rueck coached team. Most of the Pac-12 did not hold a candle to Ruecks defense all though last years Ducks finally figured it out. The Ducks this year have carried that over somewhat.

Reaction Score
Seriously I don't think it was an embarrasment for OSU. OSU is just a couple players short this year. What was shocking is Rueck is known for stifling defensive teams. Look at the Pac-12 team stats this year and they are uncharacteristcally in the lower half of the conference. Never seen that in the last 5 to 6 years from a Rueck coached team. Most of the Pac-12 did not hold a candle to Ruecks defense all though last years Ducks finally figured it out. The Ducks this year have carried that over somewhat.
After what Rueck saw in the 2nd half, he better make changes. Savannah Samuel is already an excellent defender at 6'1" with quickness and hops. Mitrovic changed a lot of shots without fouling. And he can go man-to-man with those 2 in the lineup. If coach makes these changes, OSU will end up being a tough defensive team come the PAC-12 playoffs.

Reaction Score
After what Rueck saw in the 2nd half, he better make changes. Savannah Samuel is already an excellent defender at 6'1" with quickness and hops. Mitrovic changed a lot of shots without fouling. And he can go man-to-man with those 2 in the lineup. If coach makes these changes, OSU will end up being a tough defensive team come the PAC-12 playoffs.
But the Zone could have been more effective than what it was. He has a couple of players continuously out of position on defense. Fix that and they are a whole lot better,

Reaction Score
So far this Oregon team looks better than last years team. They have better outside shooting, more depth both on the perimeter and in the post. The depth is what really will make a difference. It eliminates foul trouble and some players going cold. They can always find someone to pick up the slack each game. I doubt other teams will have that option.

In respect to Oregon St. their defense has always been its strength, but it began to weaken a couple seasons ago. That said team defense is something most players have not been exposed too in high school. Give this team some time and by the end of this season they will be a different team. They just need to learn to use the pieces they have. I not only did not expect them to win this game but I didn't believe it would be close. Oregon is just too good and Oregon St is too raw.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not since 2008 when the game continued to evolve and left Pat in the dust. That's my point.
They never played after 2007...and Pat only fully coached 3 seasons after she won her last title in 2008.

Reaction Score
So far this season think Prince has not been aggressive enough. Understand she is very skilled and liked her passing today but she needs to be more aggressive. With her height and athleticism, she should be dominating games which of course has not happened yet.

Reaction Score
So far this season think Prince has not been aggressive enough. Understand she is very skilled and liked her passing today but she needs to be more aggressive. With her height and athleticism, she should be dominating games which of course has not happened yet.

She’s probably not 100% yet from her most recent injury.

Reaction Score
She dominated game 1. And I guarantee she’ll get more aggressive once we play Stanford, UCLA, and Arizona.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think she will be more dominant in more competitive games or when shooters aren't hitting shots. The 3 ball was working against the zone so no need to deviate from it. She is also coming off an injury and being eased back in as @Shades mentioned.

Reaction Score
Or it might be that Prince did not find it necessary to try to force shots against players her size or even taller. The odds of her ever facing a team as tall will only happen when they play Oregon St again. Oregons St. weakness this season has been defending the outside shots not defending in the paint.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They never played after 2007...and Pat only fully coached 3 seasons after she won her last title in 2008.
I am talking about the path of the offense visa vi the rest of WCBB and relevancy of the programs...Rueck needs to make changes and soon, else he sees the relative success of his program dwindle. One of his best offensive players left the program to go elsewhere is a fairly indicative sign...

Or it might be that Prince did not find it necessary to try to force shots against players her size or even taller. The odds of her ever facing a team as tall will only happen when they play Oregon St again. Oregons St. weakness this season has been defending the outside shots not defending in the paint.
AND SCORING like it always has...

Reaction Score
I am talking about the path of the offense visa vi the rest of WCBB and relevancy of the programs...Rueck needs to make changes and soon, else he sees the relative success of his program dwindle. One of his best offensive players left the program to go elsewhere is a fairly indicative sign...

AND SCORING like it always has...

I allways thought about a Rueck as a reloading coach but he is falling into the rebuilding category. It seems like he recruits too much for height as if height solves everything when I think it is only just a part of the puzzle. Did he have a change in assistants recently? I agree he needs to change something up because the Arizona schools are gaining ground quickly.

Reaction Score
I allways thought about a Rueck as a reloading coach but he is falling into the rebuilding category. It seems like he recruits too much for height as if height solves everything when I think it is only just a part of the puzzle. Did he have a change in assistants recently? I agree he needs to change something up because the Arizona schools are gaining ground quickly.
Hey all, I'm a long time OSU WBB season ticket holder/Fan. I am not as worried as everyone else seems to be about the trajectory of the OSU program. Looking at the 3 new freshmen (GoForth, Samuel, Mitrovic) and the freshman signed over the next 2 seasons, and, the freshmen from last season (Taylor Jones and Kennedy Brown), I am not in the least concerned about OSU WBB Program. We are early in this season, and, while we had an unfortunate mishap in the Utah game, I believe the game with UO revealed much to the OSU coaching staff re: which players deserve more playing time. I expect considerable improvement as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
The Oregon game plan was interesting in this matchup. 1.Deny the 3 point line (3-19) with your quick guards. 2.Go one on one in the paint without help because...(see #1). Not every team can match up as well man-to-man on the inside but Oregon's length and depth allows it.
It helps when your shooters (except for Boley) are knocking down 3's (12-24).
Impressed by Mitrovic, by the way, and Jones broke out of her slump.
The Beavs will be all right down the road. Likely a load for (relatively front line short) AZ and UCLA not to mention the second division teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even a YouTube page whose focus is Ducks’ football is covering women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
The Oregon game plan was interesting in this matchup. 1.Deny the 3 point line (3-19) with your quick guards. 2.Go one on one in the paint without help because...(see #1). Not every team can match up as well man-to-man on the inside but Oregon's length and depth allows it.
It helps when your shooters (except for Boley) are knocking down 3's (12-24).
Impressed by Mitrovic, by the way, and Jones broke out of her slump.
The Beavs will be all right down the road. Likely a load for AZ and UCLA not to mention the second division teams.
I think Mitrovic has solid upside. Beaver fans seem not to be very impressed with her, but for a freshman, she has decent moves and plays solid defense. She’s athletically limited compared to the rest of the bigs on both sides, but I don’t think she’s as bad as some of their fans do.

If Kampschroeder and von Oelhoffen are as advertised, they should be a little bit better next season, but still likely a year away.

Mikesell was such a good pickup in the off season for Oregon. She’s such a fun shooter to watch. Chavez seems to have embrace the utility player role of doing all the little things and hitting big threes. They have a unique inside-out combo because of Prince and Sabally’s passing skills.

I’ll be interested to see if anyone transfers out because with that much guard depth and talent, it’s hard to keep everyone happy. Parrish and Scherr would likely play a lot of minutes for a lot of Pac-12 teams except Stanford and Oregon.

Reaction Score
We need give some of these players and coaches some slack during this pandemic. To ask these folks to perform like they did in normal times when there are so many differences is CRAZY. No fans, no students, limited family, pressure not to let your team down by getting Covid, limited extracurricular activities. There is a total dependence on what the university can provide. Corvallis is a not a big town and OSU is more of an ag/engineering school and not all about sports.. Plus Governor Brown has pretty much shut everything down since Covid cancelled the tourney. The teams were limited in how they could practice. I know hearing interviews with Scott and Kelly (John Canzano-Bald Faced Truth) it is not business as usual and I'm sure it is affected players differently.

Also the kids who pick the Beavs are different type of kids than those that pick the Ducks. The facilities are different. I've toured what they have in Eugene and it's unbellievable with all the Nike money, swag, and facilities and ALL Duck athletes can use them, not just football. Sports is very big at U of O. Eugene area is at least 3 times bigger than Corvallis. I'm sure Kelly has had a lot more option with his University and city vs. what Scott can do.

He's not complaining. Let's give him and the team a break. They'll be in the mix by tourney time.

Reaction Score
We need give some of these players and coaches some slack during this pandemic. To ask these folks to perform like they did in normal times when there are so many differences is CRAZY. No fans, no students, limited family, pressure not to let your team down by getting Covid, limited extracurricular activities. There is a total dependence on what the university can provide. Corvallis is a not a big town and OSU is more of an ag/engineering school and not all about sports.. Plus Governor Brown has pretty much shut everything down since Covid cancelled the tourney. The teams were limited in how they could practice. I know hearing interviews with Scott and Kelly (John Canzano-Bald Faced Truth) it is not business as usual and I'm sure it is affected players differently.

Also the kids who pick the Beavs are different type of kids than those that pick the Ducks. The facilities are different. I've toured what they have in Eugene and it's unbellievable with all the Nike money, swag, and facilities and ALL Duck athletes can use them, not just football. Sports is very big at U of O. Eugene area is at least 3 times bigger than Corvallis. I'm sure Kelly has had a lot more option with his University and city vs. what Scott can do.

He's not complaining. Let's give him and the team a break. They'll be in the mix by tourney time.

I hope you not on the asterisk (*) band wagon this year too. That I have already heard enough of that anyone who wins a conference championship or national championship this season will have a illegitimate title because of COVID and that a (*) should apply to the teams success. I dont subscribe to that type of thinking. To say that any losses on the floor or recruiting deficiencies is due to COVID won't hold up as an excuse. I don't think Coach Roberts will use that as an excuse with Colorado currently up 67 to 41 over the Utes.

So your saying practice restrictions were more harsh in Corvallis and that is a free pass? You also say OSU does not care about sports? Disagree, OSU is just as paassionate as Oregon fans about their teams.

You are entitled to your opinion. You know what is really terrible about Gov. Brown. Not letting the states NAIA schools practice with the same opportunities as the big guys if they have the ability to.

Why are the Division I programs being given the OK to play, but the schools at the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics level have been put on pause? Our time and experience are just as important and just as valid as theirs.

So don't throw a pity party for Oregon or especially Oregon State on Covid excuses. They at least can play.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom