#7 Oregon @ Washington St - 12/21/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#7 Oregon @ Washington St - 12/21/20

Who will win this game?

• Washington St

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Gotta hit that shot if you’re WSU. Side note, this freshman class has some really really good guards.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Motuga misses what would've been the game-winning 3 from the corner. Oregon survives, barely.

Washington State, after losing their top 3 scorers from a fairly bad team last year, figured to be a cellar dweller this season. They're not playing the part.

Reaction Score
Charlisse Leger-Walker is so impressive. Rare combination of poise and sheer physical strength for a freshman.

Have there been other notable players from New Zealand in NCAA WBB? Drawing a blank here.
I think she will,be shoe in for PAC12 FPOY. Having her older sis as a redshirt senior is a big deal. As Kelly just said in the interview "hats off to WSU. They are a really good team" led by a Freshman. After this game maybe that Beaver loss wasn't so bad, but they have definitely taken a step back. For the Ducks, winning a close game was a good thing for such a young team. Luckily they could rely on their most seasoned player Boley down the stretch with clutch 3's.

Reaction Score
Cougs VERY impressive. Ducks escape. Limited themselves to 5 TO’s in 2nd half. 16 total for game. 61% from 3. 47% overall. Hard to believe but Oregon won every quarter but the first.
Credit to WSU. I call them the surprise team of the PAC-12. I see many upsets coming their way in conference. Nice mix of players they have there. Good character builder for Oregon too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Credit to WSU. I call them the surprise team of the PAC-12. I see many upsets coming their way in conference. Nice mix of players they have there. Good character builder for Oregon too.
I would call WSU the biggest *pleasant* surprise of the entire country, relative to expectations.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I would call WSU the biggest *pleasant* surprise of the entire country, relative to expectations.
I'm delighted. Kamie Etheridge is a solid coach, she coaches her players to play the right way, and I can't think of a P5 program where it's harder to recruit than WSU. Their location is extremely hard to get to, the school is not well funded, and the in-state rival is the much more prestigious institution. I'd be quite happy to see them go on a bit of a run this season (provided they don't break Stanford's undefeated streak against them!).

Reaction Score
And of any team in the PAC-12 I am rooting for them to do some damage except when they play Oregon again. The Oregon coaches can do a deep dive into this game to see where more work is needed. A close game right now is what Oregon needed for this young team. And as an added note I like the WSU coach too. Cool as a cucumber and no antics on the court

Reaction Score
So has Oregon found there rotation yet?Parrish is working her way up the list.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Clemson lost to Pitt by 9 and hasn't beaten anyone worth mentioning.

WSU just took Oregon to a one possession game.
I am always down for @triaddukefan's supremely loyal fan passion but his homerism is pretty amusing and seems to cut like rings to an onion: Duke, Other (Non-Tarheel) Research Triangle Schools, Other North Carolina Schools, other ACC schools. Did I get that right, @triaddukefan ? :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Clemson lost to Pitt by 9 and hasn't beaten anyone worth mentioning.

WSU just took Oregon to a one possession game.

Well ... well.. well I was saying they were among the pleasant surprises... :oops:

Well I've been surprised :oops:

Reaction Score
So has Oregon found there rotation yet?Parrish is working her way up the list.

Getting there but for this game clear that Graves wanted to pound it inside with Sabally and played her extended minutes over the other bigs. Not a bad idea but Sabally needs to improve her ability to finish down low (she is no Hebard yet) and also improve on her ability to pass out when she gets the double team.

Paopao played her worst game and at one point was really rushing it. Like the other freshmen, just needs more experience.

Kudos to Boley for coming through in prime time. Same for Shelley. Liked what one commentator said that Shelley had a determined look that said they were not going to lose the game. She played determined and smart.

Thought Sheer and Parrish played well and those 2 with Shelley, Chavez, and Paopao gave the Ducks the ability to match WSU’s intensity on defense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am always down for @triaddukefan's supremely loyal fan passion but his homerism is pretty amusing and seems to cut like rings to an onion: Duke, Other (Non-Tarheel) Research Triangle Schools, Other North Carolina Schools, other ACC schools. Did I get that right, @triaddukefan ? :D

Don't think I've ever been called a homer before, but I admit, I am a bit biased towards certain schools and conferences. You got it mostly right...

Reaction Score
Getting there but for this game clear that Graves wanted to pound it inside with Sabally and played her extended minutes over the other bigs. Not a bad idea but Sabally needs to improve her ability to finish down low (she is no Hebard yet) and also improve on her ability to pass out when she gets the double team.

Paopao played her worst game and at one point was really rushing it. Like the other freshmen, just needs more experience.

Kudos to Boley for coming through in prime time. Same for Shelley. Liked what one commentator said that Shelley had a determined look that said they were not going to lose the game. She played determined and smart.

Thought Sheer and Parrish played well and those 2 with Shelley, Chavez, and Paopao gave the Ducks the ability to match WSU’s intensity on defense.
And how do you get Prince to leave the teddy bear mentality at the bench. Feed her some raw meat to make her a 6ft-7 mean girl

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm delighted. Kamie Etheridge is a solid coach, she coaches her players to play the right way, and I can't think of a P5 program where it's harder to recruit than WSU. Their location is extremely hard to get to, the school is not well funded, and the in-state rival is the much more prestigious institution. I'd be quite happy to see them go on a bit of a run this season (provided they don't break Stanford's undefeated streak against them!).
I'm a huge Kamie Ethridge fan, a fandom that dates from her days as the hands-down best point guard to ever wear Longhorn orange.

She played the game with panache and poise. In my mind she was both the star and the glue of that stacked 1986 Texas team that ran the table.

A few highlights from her playing days:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Don't think I've ever been called a homer before, but I admit, I am a bit biased towards certain schools and conferences. You got it mostly right...
HOMER! Doh....Feel better now? :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have to say, I missed today's game (DAMN IT) but had seen all the other Cougars games so much so that I am ready to embrace being a "Cougs" fan. Happy for Etheridge. Can't wait to see WSU against Arizona and ASU to filter out where their ranking belongs within the PAC12. I would say this looks like an NCAA team to me. More so than all but 5 SEC schools, more than 11 ACC schools, more than all but 1 Big12 School and more than all but 2 BigTen schools.
Lots of season to play out but this could be the 5th best team in the conference...Sorry @nwhoopfan and @LoTrader :oops:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
And how do you get Prince to leave the teddy bear mentality at the bench. Feed her some raw meat to make her a 6ft-7 mean girl

I don't know, but it's a concern. This is hardly the player Graves has described in several interviews (and he is usually on the mark about his players). I realize she's had a bad ankle and there's alot of rust to work off, but Prince looks to me like she's playing not to get hurt rather than going full speed. I hope that changes in January.

Some random thoughts:

1) WSU is legit. This is by far the best team in Pullman that I can remember.

2) This was PaoPao's second bad game in a row, but, as they say, a good lesson. (One could say the same for the entire Oregon team.)

3) I may be alone among Oregon fans but I remain unenthused about the Mikesell recruitment. I realize having another player with college experience is a plus, and I recognize that she's a great shooter from 3, but, if she isn't lights out from outside, I don't think she brings very much to the table. More important, I believe Oregon would better off, if not now then by the end of this season and certainly long term, if Graves could simply mix and match PaoPao, Shelley, Chavez, and Scherr, the last of whom deserves the kind of time on court she got today, when her defense made a major difference.

4} As Graves commented after the game, Nyara left some points on the board today by rushing some shots and she is not (yet?) the finisher Hebard was. But . . . for someone who has only been on the court for 6 games after being on the sidelines for about 21/2 years, she's playing really well in my view, and Oregon would be in deep trouble without her inside. (She is, to my eyes, already a better rebounder than Ruthy and a more intimidating defensive presence as well.) Once she's gotten more experience and is closer to 100%, she will be a star.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Have there been other notable players from New Zealand in NCAA WBB? Drawing a blank here.

There was a certain player who transferred after her Fr. year from Washington to UConn, but never played in Storrs. I think many have tried to forget about her. Jess McCormack. Not sure she's notable, she had some potential but we never really got to see much of her.

Reaction Score

She is very much a finesse player. Tried to find some high school video to compare but it may be that she is gun shy and fears re-injuring her leg. Understand that it was a horrific injury she suffered and wouldn't blame her for fearing having her leg broken/damaged again. Regardless, she can't play timid at this level and in several games have seen smaller (shorter) players muscle her out of the way on the boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom