6’6” sophomore is probably top prospect in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

6’6” sophomore is probably top prospect in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You realize they can’t use their money, right? That said, they also have the richest alumni owning lots of businesses, so yes, they could dominate. But those alumni don’t really care about sports
I wonder if they could donate endowment money to an "educational collective" that could assist aspiring young students with admission to their institution.

Reaction Score
True. Most schools use sports to increase enrollment. The Ivy's have no need for that. They get valedictorians and salutatorians as well as the who's-who of foreign students and still only accept 10-15% of those. If they ever cared about sports, they could become really good, really fast, but that will never happen because it's completely contradictory to their elite academic and research focused philosophy.

Ivy League ranges from a 3-7% acceptance rate, actually. Cornell is the red-headed step brother of the group. The others are 3-5%.

Reaction Score
Yeah the acceptance rates at all the Ivies are in the single digits. Cornell is the lowest at 7%. Most of them are in the 3%-5% range, which is insane.

What I find interesting is how different grad admissions are. UConn accepts 50% of undergrads-ish, but my wife's old grad program accepts 8-13% depending on the number of applications per year. Whereas Yale's undergrad acceptance and acceptance in her field is 3% for both. Probably has to do with how few fully-funded positions there are.

Reaction Score
You realize they can’t use their money, right? That said, they also have the richest alumni owning lots of businesses, so yes, they could dominate. But those alumni don’t really care about sports
That's not true. Tom Stemberg, a Harvard grad and the founder of Staples, founded the Harvard basketball booster club in the 1970s. He was instrumental in hiring Tommy Amaker and he endowed the college basketball head coaching position. His friends donated $10 million to have the basketball court named after him.

The alumni do care about sports as sports are an integral part of the Ivy League experience, but the schools are not committed to competing at the highest levels if it compromises academics. That is why I think the NRLB Dartmouth decision and NIL,... are going to make the Ivies think about what they want to do with athletics going forward.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's not true. Tom Stemberg, a Harvard grad and the founder of Staples, founded the Harvard basketball booster club in the 1970s. He was instrumental in hiring Tommy Amaker and he endowed the college basketball head coaching position. His friends donated $10 million to have the basketball court named after him.

The alumni do care about sports as sports are an integral part of the Ivy League experience, but the schools are not committed to competing at the highest levels if it compromises academics. That is why I think the NRLB Dartmouth decision and NIL,... are going to make the Ivies think about what they want to do with athletics going forward.
You’re taking that too literally. It‘s not like it is at Texas or Georgia or Michigan etc. I don’t see Zuckerberg building a state of the art 16,000 seat stadium for Harvard basketball. or hiring Harvard athletes to do Instagram ads, especially when his company owns Instagram. College sports is about marketing and driving applicants and the Ivies simply don’t need it and compared to big public schools, their students don’t care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom