5 Big Keys to The Season | The Boneyard

5 Big Keys to The Season

Reaction Score
I thought this would be an interesting thread, mid-summer, not much going on. I wanted to see what people are thinking, there are really so many keys to the season, try to keep it to five.

1 ) Hurley adding tempo to the offense
2 ) How good is Sanogo on the blocks
3 ) The Akok Akok revival
4 ) Whaley's all conference all purpose play
5 ) Jordan Hawkins emergence as a shooting guard, scoring points

I left a lot out I know. Jackson, Giffey, Cole, Martin, it's not easy picking just 5

Reaction Score
One big thing we need is getting our name back up there. if we wanna get back to where we were years ago again as a national power, this is an ideal year to start establishing ourselves as a threat to everyone, a team that can make tourney runs.

Reaction Score
As you mentioned, tough to only pick 5.

I think the development of Andre Jackson is a huge one. His capabilities on offense and defense will have a lot to do with our ceiling as a team this year.

If he can be even slightly respectable from 3, the spacing and offense creativity opens up so much.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I thought this would be an interesting thread, mid-summer, not much going on. I wanted to see what people are thinking, there are really so many keys to the season, try to keep it to five.

I left a lot out I know. Jackson, Giffey, Cole, Martin, it's not easy picking just 5
good thread, but one question. did u mean jalen giffey or neil gaffney? lol.
along with these 5 possible keys, i think whether or not we play in front of normal crowds can be an issue as i've always felt that, maybe moreso than many teams, we often feed off crowd energy regardless if they are with us or against us.
other q's i have include; will the new guys become indispensable? will our shooting improve? and, of course the most important questions, what will be the spread between jmoney's national poy vote and whoever is second, along with the very real issue of who will be the #2 draft choice after him?

Reaction Score
  1. The development of Andre Jackson. His ceiling is so high, the coaching staff has to put him in position to be more aggressive and realize that potential. His work on his handle and shooting has to translate to in game productivity. No excuses this year.
  2. Which guard steps up to earn significant play time between Gaffney, Sool, and Hawkins. I have a feeling Gaffney may be the odd man out come the end of the year.
  3. How quickly can Hurley and the coaching staff identify the best rotations and combinations, particularly with the backlog we have in the frontcourt.
  4. Is there any improvement in Hurley's in game coaching in the form of timeouts and adjustments. When we go against top 25 caliber coaches, it seems like we are slow to counter once the other team has made their adjustments. (See game film from Nova games the past few years.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Giffey?

Is that because it has become obligatory to discuss him in every thread?

Reaction Score
1. Hurley's ability to adapt to the team, I'd like to see us run in transition a lot more. He showed a lot of positive signs of growth throughout the season and I hope that continues

2. Development of outside shooting, one of Jackson/Martin/Akok need to be able to hit a 3 to space the floor

3. Big man rotation, 5 guys vying for (likely) 4 spots at the 4/5. Should be a good battle with Springs/Johnson to get the last of the minutes.

4. Backup PG spot between Gaffney and Diggins, if Diggins is ready and can allow Gaffney to play off ball more I think the ceiling of this team is raised considerably.

5. End of game situations, I'm not worried about the scoring in general as there's plenty of talent. But end of the game someone is going to need to emerge and be the guy who wants the shot and not sure who that will be right now

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
One big thing we need is getting our name back up there. if we wanna get back to where we were years ago again as a national power, this is an ideal year to start establishing ourselves as a threat to everyone, a team that can make tourney runs.
I worry that a lot of very good teams got even better after all these transfers. The talent level of top 25 teams will be sick, rich get richer. I like that uconn kept it in-house but it will be tough going this year…..

Reaction Score
1. Hurley's ability to adapt to the team, I'd like to see us run in transition a lot more. He showed a lot of positive signs of growth throughout the season and I hope that continues

2. Development of outside shooting, one of Jackson/Martin/Akok need to be able to hit a 3 to space the floor

3. Big man rotation, 5 guys vying for (likely) 4 spots at the 4/5. Should be a good battle with Springs/Johnson to get the last of the minutes.

4. Backup PG spot between Gaffney and Diggins, if Diggins is ready and can allow Gaffney to play off ball more I think the ceiling of this team is raised considerably.

5. End of game situations, I'm not worried about the scoring in general as there's plenty of talent. But end of the game someone is going to need to emerge and be the guy who wants the shot and not sure who that will be right now

On the money. Both coach and players to improve to take the program to the next level. I'm sure they're working hard to get there.

Reaction Score
We need to run plays more. I’m sure that’ll happen because we don’t have a Bouk type player that you say “go get a bucket” to, but we really need to move the ball more progressively. And please oh please DH, eliminate the weave for the most part. It isn’t a successful offensive set in college.

Reaction Score
Giffey?

Is that because it has become obligatory to discuss him in every thread?
That's too funny man. My bad :), you all know I meant Gaffney, who by the way, could also be a real difference maker this season.

Reaction Score
jackson being confident in his shot making
This is huge. Such a strong, high intensity player who will do even better with the hype of a 100% capacity crowd. If he gets that jumper and can hit it a decent percentage of the time, we've got a 1st rounder and a fan favorite on our hands

Reaction Score
1. Jackson’s offense, shooting has to improve
2. Akok’s return to 100%
3. Our continued improvement and dominant offensive rebounding
4. Freshmen development
5. Polley’s outside shooting

Reaction Score

#5) All freshman get a pass full season; see AJax frosh year. Can't include them in any keys to success especially pre-season.

I really think the key is strictly on the coaching staff.
1) Finding the right parts in various game situations
2) Keeping the seniors happy and involved
3) Taking advantage of all the experience on this team
4) Develop AJax and Sanago to reach one of the BE Teams
5) Getting Martin and Gaff to play without passiveness and disappearing
6) Identify Bouk's 'replacement' in terms of point production (could be 2 players)

I see them having good clay to work with, molding a BE Championship caliber team. Just saying they have a lot to work with.

Essentially this is all Hurley's Team (even with Polley/Whalley). His coaching skills will be fully on display this coming season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some good suggestions. Here are mine.

1. Andre Jackson developing, especially on offense. Both a shot and ability to attack off the bounce to pass or score. Defense needs to be more consistent with fewer fouls, but he's already an impact defender.
2. Hurley adjusting. End the weave, and limit the big handoff on offense. Limit the hard hedge and don't ever leave the rim without a protector. It kills defensive rebounding (232nd) and leads to easy baskets. We were 5th on ORB. Akok should be the 4 when Whaley is the 5, that will help. Can't hedge with the 5 otherwise.
3. Somebody winning the SG spot. Martin, Gaffney, Hawkins. It's up for grabs. Need shooting and defense at that spot, plus some ability to create. All three guys have different games.
4. Transition and pace. We should own the boards and have guys who can fly. Outlet passes and easy conversions on the other end will limit the pressure on our outside shooting.
5. Foul shooting/trips to the line. Have been poor at both. Need to play through contact and then convert the free ones. Especially clutch FTs. Sanogo can't be 57% again nor Whaley 47%.. Bouk was our only guy getting solid points at the line. Jackson, Martin and Akok could excel here.

Reaction Score
  1. AJax & Adama Development- If they both take the leap, it makes the margin of error huge and roles MUCH clearer for everyone else
  2. The Vets accepting their roles - Jalen, RJ, Tyrese, Polley need to find and be rock solid in their roles. Toughness, smart plays. We know what they are and what they can do, they just need to be reliable.
  3. Akok - Total wildcard. If he has developed and is healthy, gamebreaker stretch 4/5
  4. Do any Freshmen emerge? They all have superior talents - but what translates right away?
    • Rahsool Diggins - dynamic playmaking, swagger
    • Jordan Hawkins - shooting
    • Samson Johnson - Size/Athletiticism/Finishing
  5. Does Murray make an impact on offensive scheme/dynamism? His rep is recruiter and offensive guru. Lets hope Hurley opens it up.

Reaction Score
We need to run plays more. I’m sure that’ll happen because we don’t have a Bouk type player that you say “go get a bucket” to, but we really need to move the ball more progressively. And please oh please DH, eliminate the weave for the most part. It isn’t a successful offensive set in college.
We really need to score more points than the other team. That’s very important. Lol

Reaction Score
The OP question is interesting. I decided that for myself, Akok's return to form, Jackson's improvement, Gaffney''s confidence, and all the rest of the thoughts about individuals, were great things that could happen, but weren't really keys to the season. We have so many good players that there likely will be a 'next man up' if these things don't happen.

My choices as keys to the season:
1. Chemistry - we need Hurley to keep team chemistry positive managing minutes
2. Schemes - Hurley's in game coaching needs to maximize advantages & player abilities
3. Finishing - we can't have empty possessions from 1-2ft
4. Shooting - we have to find and ride a 'hot hand' in every game or half, whoever it is
5. Minimizing Sanogo Fouls when we play against power post teams - we need him most then

Things I'd like to see:
1. Akok completely back to shot blocking form and with an improved shooting touch
2. Jackson having the ball in his hands and making plays for himself and others
3. Periodic pressure traps with Jackson, Whaley, and maybe Samson Johnson size/quickness
4. Hawkins shooting lights out. (Curious if he will primarily be a wing or shooting guard)
5. Whaley continuing his play and giving us just enough from 3
6. Diggins distributing to the rim, or long passes over the defense, a la Doron to Donny
7. Jackson or maybe Floyd taking away Nova guards backing us down
8 Johnson hitting over 30% from 3 as a freshman (on 1-3 attempts per game)
9. Back at/near the top in team blocked shots
10 Martin w/o 1ft yips
11 Cole & Gaffney & Polley steady
12 Make our end of game foul shots
13 Figure out how to get more easy baskets in transition
14 Everybody closing out on 3 point shooters to make them drive to our rim protectors

Reaction Score
The OP question is interesting. I decided that for myself, Akok's return to form, Jackson's improvement, Gaffney''s confidence, and all the rest of the thoughts about individuals, were great things that could happen, but weren't really keys to the season. We have so many good players that there likely will be a 'next man up' if these things don't happen.

My choices as keys to the season:
1. Chemistry - we need Hurley to keep team chemistry positive managing minutes
2. Schemes - Hurley's in game coaching needs to maximize advantages & player abilities
3. Finishing - we can't have empty possessions from 1-2ft
4. Shooting - we have to find and ride a 'hot hand' in every game or half, whoever it is
5. Minimizing Sanogo Fouls when we play against power post teams - we need him most then

Things I'd like to see:
1. Akok completely back to shot blocking form and with an improved shooting touch
2. Jackson having the ball in his hands and making plays for himself and others
3. Periodic pressure traps with Jackson, Whaley, and maybe Samson Johnson size/quickness
4. Hawkins shooting lights out. (Curious if he will primarily be a wing or shooting guard)
5. Whaley continuing his play and giving us just enough from 3
6. Diggins distributing to the rim, or long passes over the defense, a la Doron to Donny
7. Jackson or maybe Floyd taking away Nova guards backing us down
8 Johnson hitting over 30% from 3 as a freshman (on 1-3 attempts per game)
9. Back at/near the top in team blocked shots
10 Martin w/o 1ft yips
11 Cole & Gaffney & Polley steady
12 Make our end of game foul shots
13 Figure out how to get more easy baskets in transition
14 Everybody closing out on 3 point shooters to make them drive to our rim protectors
Wow, great points @Ricker , glad you checked in. @husky429 , love to hear what you got.

Reaction Score
I think the most intriguing coaching decisions this season will be establishing roles for Tyrese and Gaffney.

These two compared to the rest will have more challenging roles to establish because of their skillset, size, usage, and depth at their position. We have a general sense of how Sanogo, IW, Akok, AJ, Cole, Polley, and even the freshman will be used. However, these two, more so than others, will have to adapt their games/expectations from last year, because this team is far more balanced, with several capable contributors (as opposed to the one-man Bouknight show).

For example, it'll be hard playing Gaffney at the 2 when facing bigger SGs. Playing two PGs is more doable in the college game, but Gaffney has to bulk up if he wants to hold down the starting SG position. It's inevitable Hawkins will overtake him as the season progresses and relegate him to a backup PG IMO. Also, if Hurley's plan is to elevate Sanogo and AJ's offensive games, with Cole most likely being the third option, then is Tyrese simply a glue guy vying for offensive rebounds and filling in the gaps? Is he willing to decrease his offensive usage from last year? The kid is talented and a bulldog, but reading the tea leaves AJ will be getting more touches this year.

Reaction Score
Wow, great points @Ricker , glad you checked in. @husky429 , love to hear what you got.

Coaches:
1. Better offensive sets. Period. Our offense sucked and it's part of the reason Bouk is having this meteoric rise. His talent would have been more obvious if we ran the ball more, prioritized shooting, and got creative instead of stagnant.

2. Recognizing talent earlier. We played BAdams too much early on and lost the SJU game because Hurley refused to play Sanogo more. This isn't the A-10--young players have talent. The "they went small" excuse was sad.

Players:

3. Size and strength. Need a bunch of these guys to continue to get bigger, faster, and stronger. We shouldn't be small versus any team this year if this new SnC guy does a decent job.

4. Improved shooting. Martin can't be the guy who ended the season. Akok needs to be better. Johnson needs to as well. Jackson needs to at least be a little bit of a threat. We have 4 guys there that are more likely to hit 25% of their 3s than 35% of their 3s. Whoever can shoot will play. Should play. Polley also needs to be a threat to hit 40% every night, hopefully same with Hawkins.

5. Continue our dominance on the offensive boards. That's our niche, and I like it.

Reaction Score
I'll try this:

1--An ever-so-slight improvement in our returning main 3pt shooters' % (Cole, Gaff, Polley) , a reasonable and not-unrealistic improvement in our 2nd-line 3pt shooters' % (Jackson, Akok, Martin), and decent 3pt shooting from our freshmen (I'd take 30%, not-unrealistic).

• For all the collective whining about our lack of shooters here on the BY, the fact of the matter is that it's not the doomsday scenario that it's claimed to be. Cole/Gaff/Polley shot a collective 36% last year, and I expect all 3 of them to improve this year by 2-4%. Just shooting 36%+ as a team would put us in the top 2 or 3 in the BE for 3pt shooting %.

2--Akok to return to pre-injury production on both offense and defense.

• I'm gonna be optimistic that this will happen. I refuse to be pessimistic. When it does, it fixes so many limitations/struggles we can have on offense/defense.

3--The coaches and team figure out a way to increase in-game tempo

• I'm not sure why they (coaches/players) couldn't figure out a way to consistently push tempo last year, but I believe Hurley when he said (numerous times!!!) that it was a goal for the team. Maybe some of it was limitations imposed by COVID (reduced practice & games).

4--Continuation of basic defensive philosophy/sets with improved execution by the players.

• Again, the BY loves to whine excessively about too much hard-hedging, blah blah blah. I love the defensive philosophy Hurley brings to his teams and don't want him to change much. I think with more practice, more "tune-up" games, and better roster, we'll see things click this year. We are gonna be a pain in the arse for opposing teams.

5--A season unaffected/minimally affected by COVID.

• Hurley's teams have continued to get stronger & stronger as the season progresses. The more time for practice and game experience, the better. Does everyone remember the end of the 2019-2020 season? We were in beast mode the last 5-10 games, then COVID hit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom