4K TV recommendation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

4K TV recommendation

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Anyone have recommendations for 55 to 65 inch 4K TVs? Need a living room upgrade.

Reaction Score
I mean really at the end of the day, the only 4K signals that MOST people get are from streaming services, so 4K just really is an afterthought in the whole conversation.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what not to do: don't buy a TCL through Amazon. I did. First one arrived and it was a dud. Thing had a high-pitched scream which wouldn't leave. Amazon took it back and brought me another. This one turns off in the middle of shows or sports and it turns on in the middle of the night. No amount of troubleshooting will help and it's a well-known problem on the TCL forums. Amazon refuses to take it back, and worst of all I purchased with Amazon credit because it gives me automatic 5% off. I'm stuck with a dud TV and I'm getting very near to chucking it out on the street.
Bought a TCL last year from Best Buy. Lasted a week before I returned it because if technical issues like not turning on. Support said it was the remote and promised a new one. When it didn’t show up in 5 days I returned the tv. It shows up 2 months later.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's a difficult question. In a bright family room? Hell no. Buy a cheap TCL (I did). They will have good brightness levels, and usually good viewing angles. If you are building a home theater room, that is where those OLEDs shine. I cheaped out slightly and got the best Sony LCD they made, and the blacks are still terrific, if not quite as good. An LCD with full array local dimming is really the minimum for home theater use. Local Dimming on TVs: Direct-Lit, Full-Array, and Edge-Lit

It used to be that the refresh rate mattered, especially for games and sports. But now they are all good enough with the low now at 60 fps. Not many sources even display 120 fps. It could matter more in the future, so again, what's the use case?

We have found dishwashers die too fast as well, and sadly it's often easier to just buy a new one.

I was just piggybacking on what @jleves mentioned regarding casual TV viewers. Those like you who are in to it and understand the pros and cons of different technologies and how to integrate it in to a home, really aren't coming to this thread for advice.

For those in the fat part of the bell curve, I agree with figure out your budget, look for something on the high end of your budget and when it goes on sale, strike. Or, just go in on any random day and find something within your budget and you'll be fine.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The little secret is darn near any brand name 4K tv these days is gonna look killer, just get the biggest one you can afford and don’t sweat the details.

I’m an admitted technology who-are though so I have the Sony A90J hanging on my wall. ¯\(ツ)

Reaction Score
Sony mentioned above. Probably A80J if it's on sale. OLED
The X Series is LED.

LG C1 is the top pure picture for movies at the top of your budget. May not be perfect in a brighter room. OLED

Samsung QN90A is the Best LCD period. Saw one Sunday. Brilliant picture and contrast. Wife had to drag me from the store. LCD

You can save money with the TCL R646 but it needs a firmware update or 2 because of a couple Google and navigation issues. Still good LCD for the money.

Hisense is knocking on the door but it's a compromise between getting the best or saving the money.

TV's have made big PQ jumps over the last 5 years and they're really getting close to perfection between sports, movies and gaming. Take advantage of sales because they will have price guarantees at most retailers and some may go off sale or have inventory issues later. Sooner you can decide the better. I would want the Samsung strictly because I need the brightness in my room and I HATE ABL dimming whites to grey during a hockey game. Plus Samsung has very deep blacks for an LED. Your eyes and environment may differ.
Sony oled is the lg oled picture...i buy lg oled and have sonos for my surround...sony overpriced

Reaction Score
Sony oled is the lg oled picture...i buy lg oled and have sonos for my surround...sony overpriced
Costs the same as LG both the C1 and A80J were $1799 when I bought. Most would be very happy with either.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Costs the same as LG both the C1 and A80J were $1799 when I bought. Most would be very happy with either.
Everything depends on your usage. If you're a gamer then the LG's features of G-Sync, 120hz, and true tone mapping make it a no brainer. If however you aren't, amd your priorities are watching movies and TV shows, then Sony's overall picture quality, detail, and color saturation make it, again, a no brainer. I game a lot, but not on my TV. I have a dedicated computer gaming system for that. Hence, I bought the Sony.

Reaction Score
Just bought a Sony Bravia 65" 4K UHD LED XBR65x81CH from Costco a couple weeks ago for $799
Downloaded the Fox Sports App right there on the tv watch my Huskie kick some butt. Picture Quality and sound is amazing!
Great TV for the value.

Reaction Score
How much light do you have in the room? Are you usually watching in the dark? Don't spend on LG OLED if you aren't using it in a fairly dark environment. Look at the reviews, TV Reviews: Best of 2021 count HDMI ports and features. You may need a TV with good brightness in a well lit room (Sunday football in a family room). You need deep blacks for movies in a dark room. You may need a wide viewing angle vs straight on, or not. Different LCD panel technologies provide benefits and tradeoffs in all those areas. IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD Types Found In TVs
Disagree.. I have wall to wall windows in my living room and the OLED is plenty bright enough.

Reaction Score
I know it's not an option for you but I buy my TV's from P.C. Richards because they are proud supporter of UConn athletics.
I bought my Sony from them. I believe they have their own service network.

Reaction Score
Semi-related but not worth starting a new thread, anyone have recommendations of a new monitor to buy? Don't need anything super fancy for gaming but just looking to improve the WFH setup

Reaction Score
So this thread got me looking at TVs. Leaning toward a Samsung. One concern is the number of apps avail since it doesn’t use android or roku, but uses tizen. Anyone have any experience +/- on app availability?

Thx

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So this thread got me looking at TVs. Leaning toward a Samsung. One concern is the number of apps avail since it doesn’t use android or roku, but uses tizen. Anyone have any experience +/- on app availability?

Thx

Sucks. So do Sony (Google) and LG's interfaces. Aside from TCL-Hisense with Roku built in, nobody should bother with the "smart" features in a TV. No app developer is going to prioritize the Samsung app over those in bigger platforms like Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, XBox. Cough up the $25 for a 4K streaming stick next week on black Friday.

Reaction Score
Sucks. So do Sony (Google) and LG's interfaces. Aside from TCL-Hisense with Roku built in, nobody should bother with the "smart" features in a TV. No app developer is going to prioritize the Samsung app over those in bigger platforms like Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, XBox. Cough up the $25 for a 4K streaming stick next week on black Friday.
Thx

Reaction Score
Do u like the tv using the streaming stick?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do u like the tv using the streaming stick?

I've got cable but have tried YouTube TV with a stick at my parent's house. It's a personal preference really which is best, I've pretty much settled on the Fire Stick. I find the interface on Samsung, LG and Sony TVs is just clunky. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't put much into developing it anymore.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've got cable but have tried YouTube TV with a stick at my parent's house. It's a personal preference really which is best, I've pretty much settled on the Fire Stick. I find the interface on Samsung, LG and Sony TVs is just clunky. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't put much into developing it anymore.
Agreed. I find apps on TV's are clunky and limited to the sound coming from the TV. That is of course if you don't use a soundbar and the like. I prefer Roku using both a hard Ethernet hook up and a receiver with quality speakers in anything from 2 channel to 7.1. I don't want to deal with the occasional wonky wireless connection or the comparatively poor sound of soundbars.

Reaction Score
I think Samsung and LG make the best TVs now. A lot depends on how particular you are - you can get sushi @ Stop & Shop or at a fine restaurant. (Price is certainly a factor).

I have a Sony from a several years back that I love, but I'm not sure they make their own screens anymore. As many have written, 4K is pretty much standard. I'd also look into other image factors, like how well a TV can process lesser quality content, improving it to mimic 4K. Cable channels and streaming services are recycling lots of old content now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My old Sony we moved in the guest room is still good. Before we bought the new one, it worked fine with a Roku soundbar. The Samsung we had in between those two was butt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom