OT: - 4K TV question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 4K TV question

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I just bought a new Samsung QLED 65 inch 4k tv. Its to replace a projection (yes that is right!) HD tv from SONY from approx 2002 in the kids room in the basement. So far I haven't been able to play with it much. Kids are using it for XBOX one S. I did watch some 4k scenic videos on YouTube which looked awesome. My 8 year old plasma tv still seems to do motion better than this new TV however.

Get your kids a computer monitor to play xbox on they'll thank you for it in the long run. You'll also get your TV back.

Reaction Score
I just bought a new Samsung QLED 65 inch 4k tv. Its to replace a projection (yes that is right!) HD tv from SONY from approx 2002 in the kids room in the basement. So far I haven't been able to play with it much. Kids are using it for XBOX one S. I did watch some 4k scenic videos on YouTube which looked awesome. My 8 year old plasma tv still seems to do motion better than this new TV however.

We have an 8 year old 55 inch Panasonic Viera HD plasma tv that is still stunning with really black blacks and no motion artifacts. The sales guy where I bought it told me it was the best tv available and head and shoulders better than the LED's and others available at the time. Built-in internet capability, etc.

I mentioned it to a sales guy at Best Buy earlier this month and he said the guy wasn't BS'ing me and plasma is still the best but no one is making them anymore. Anyone know why? Too expensive?

Reaction Score
We have an 8 year old 55 inch Panasonic Viera HD plasma tv that is still stunning with really black blacks and no motion artifacts. The sales guy where I bought it told me it was the best tv available and head and shoulders better than the LED's and others available at the time. Built-in internet capability, etc.

I mentioned it to a sales guy at Best Buy earlier this month and he said the guy wasn't BS'ing me and plasma is still the best but no one is making them anymore. Anyone know why? Too expensive?[/QUO

Plasma manufacturing costs are >

Reaction Score
Plasma TV's do have deeper blacks...and wider viewing angles.

BUT...they used twice as much electricity....and are not as bright as LED...bad for rooms with light.

I gave my son our 2002 Samsung DLP set years ago (digital light processing)...they don't make this technology now...but his 55 still has a good picture, deep blacks...no motion artifacts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mentioned it to a sales guy at Best Buy earlier this month and he said the guy wasn't BS'ing me and plasma is still the best but no one is making them anymore. Anyone know why? Too expensive?

Yep. You can get 95% of the way there for 60% of the cost using LED.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I think Plasmas are gone for three reasons - i) Plasma's burn more energy, so they were banned in some markets to strive towards greater energy efficiency, ii) they are heavy - so more work to manage the inventory and iii) they were always susceptible to screen burn in.

I bought mine about 6 months before they stopped production. I would say the brightness of my plasma may have faded some, but the imagine for motion remains on par or superior with the best of current tvs.

Reaction Score
I think Plasmas are gone for three reasons - i) Plasma's burn more energy, so they were banned in some markets to strive towards greater energy efficiency, ii) they are heavy - so more work to manage the inventory and iii) they were always susceptible to screen burn in.

I bought mine about 6 months before they stopped production. I would say the brightness of my plasma may have faded some, but the imagine for motion remains on par or superior with the best of current tvs.

I've always wanted to support my local electric utility so the energy issue never bothered me. Besides, we lived in Western Mass at the time so the TV helped heat the family room in the winter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't the quick and dirty that this feature is better for sports?
No just better (less processed) cinema. Sports should be unaffected.

TBH I'd never heard about this before. I'm happy with the movies on my TV but I did notice that they seem a little "processed." I might tinker with this to see if improves the picture but if I never heard of it, it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Reaction Score
If you can deal with a 55" TV the Sony 930e is on sale at Best Buy and is one of the best reviewed TV's on the market. Watch some comparisons on YouTube if you are in the market.

Reaction Score
No just better (less processed) cinema. Sports should be unaffected.

TBH I'd never heard about this before. I'm happy with the movies on my TV but I did notice that they seem a little "processed." I might tinker with this to see if improves the picture but if I never heard of it, it wouldn't have mattered to me.
The auto motion plus on my Samsung UHD 4K is really only useful for sporting events, the processing it does supposedly helps fill in the frames that are missing during a broadcast. I still miss my Samsung Plasma. For movies it absolutely has to be turned off, the way film interacts with it almost always creates that weird soap opera effect depth issue. Maybe it’s different with a film made with 4K in mind but I don’t have a player. Need to get me a PS4 Pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom