OT: - 4K TV question | The Boneyard

OT: 4K TV question

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if you can get 4K sports channels like ESPN or CBS? Was watching the Villanova game and it looked like my old tv but worse since the pixels are stretched out to fit my bigger/new tv...

Reaction Score
Comcast does not offer 4K broadcast. We do stream Netflix and Prime, supposedly in 4K, and the pictures are significantly better than cable. Have not seen any streaming 4K sports services. CBS All Access makes no mention of 4K content.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if you can get 4K sports channels like ESPN or CBS? Was watching the Villanova game and it looked like my old tv but worse since the pixels are stretched out to fit my bigger/new tv...
There are zero channels broadcast in 4K. There are some upconverters that can give you some extra resolution, but it’s just interpolation. Some streaming video is also 4K.
4K requires lots of bandwidth that just isn’t available. Our infrastructure is woefully inadequate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are zero channels broadcast in 4K. There are some upconverters that can give you some extra resolution, but it’s just interpolation. Some streaming video is also 4K.
4K requires lots of bandwidth that just isn’t available. Our infrastructure is woefully inadequate.
Uh you are an old guy. You aren't supposed to know this stuff. You should be struggling to figure out which end of the remote to point at the tv.

Reaction Score
It seemed like there was something wrong with the main camera yesterday. There were vertical stripes showing up on my screen and I thought at first that it was my TV, but it turned out to be only that camera shot. Totally unacceptable by CBS.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
CBS always has a worse picture quality compared to Fox, ESPN, even NBC and ABC are better
Has been that way for a while
Puzzling

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
CBS always has a worse picture quality compared to Fox, ESPN, even NBC and ABC are better
Has been that way for a while
Puzzling
CBS and NBC use 1080i resolution @30 frames per second while ABC, Fox and ESPN use 720p @60fps (for live events like sports). For fast motion things like sports, 720p is usually smoother. For grand panoramic views that are relatively free of action, 1080i shows better. This is probably why the CBS games don't look as good. Next time you have the chance to switch between football games on Fox and CBS, flip back and forth and see if you can notice the difference.

Reaction Score
Actually it depends on the platform. For example, I have YouTube TV and the network broadcast channels are broadcast in 1080p. Cable doesn't have the infrastructure for it yet in most places. Not much 4k yet for TV, but plenty of streaming options including Amazon, Netflix, YouTube Red Originals, VUDU, etc.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe any sports channels have gone to 4K yet. In fact I don’t believe they are all in true 1080p yet.
This is why the TV’s in the store always look a lot better compared to when you bring it home, correct?

Reaction Score
This is why the TV’s in the store always look a lot better compared to when you bring it home, correct?
Correct. They are using source video that will make it look its best.

Getting back to the 4k discussion. Unless you are viewing 4k Blu-rays you aren't going to fully be able to get the true 4k experience. Streaming 4k on Netflix will be improved over the 1080p stream but since it's streaming the video will always be compressed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Uh you are an old guy. You aren't supposed to know this stuff. You should be struggling to figure out which end of the remote to point at the tv.
Might have a voice remote.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
1080P has barely been fully adopted. 4K is not worth it for the price tag over a 1080P. With that said the untrained eye will see very little difference between the two unless you are viewing on an extremely large screen TV with a lot of movement.

4k is a waste right now but that is just my 2 cebts.

Reaction Score
This is old stuff.

Reaction Score
1080P has barely been fully adopted. 4K is not worth it for the price tag over a 1080P. With that said the untrained eye will see very little difference between the two unless you are viewing on an extremely large screen TV with a lot of movement.

I don’t believe anyone broadcasts in 1080P either.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe anyone broadcasts in 1080P either.
I believe you are correct. 1080I saves on bandwidth by sending half the pixels and then sending the other half 1/60th of a second later (too fast for a human to detect). 1080p sends all the pixels at once. I read an article a while back (Popular Science I believe)that stated that if the cable systems started sending signals in 1080p they would quickly learn the weaknesses in their systems. They equated it to the water company doubling the water pressure and creating leaks all over.

Reaction Score

Not even close to true. The 4K content on Netflix and YouTube is stunnng, it’s a very obvious upgrade over standard HD. Xfinity airs occasional content like The Olympics in 4K but until the demand is strong enough, most content providers won’t broadcast in 4K.

Reaction Score
Was at brother in laws for Christmas and they had new 65” Samsung, but picture looked odd. We were watching movie- Die Hard. My brother in law is really tech savvy, but it was news to him when I asked about the “soap opera effect”. I looked up how to turn it off, he quickly did adjustments and picture improved 100%

Reaction Score
Was at brother in laws for Christmas and they had new 65” Samsung, but picture looked odd. We were watching movie- Die Hard. My brother in law is really tech savvy, but it was news to him when I asked about the “soap opera effect”. I looked up how to turn it off, he quickly did adjustments and picture improved 100%

I don’t understand why every TV has that feature turned on (Samsung calls it the motion dejudder) out of the box. What do they think it does?

Reaction Score
I'm looking at 4K 43" with a bluetooth output for audio. The Samsung, I'm pretty sure, does not have. The LG may. Anyone know for sure? or suggest one that has the bluetooth output?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just bought a new Samsung QLED 65 inch 4k tv. Its to replace a projection (yes that is right!) HD tv from SONY from approx 2002 in the kids room in the basement. So far I haven't been able to play with it much. Kids are using it for XBOX one S. I did watch some 4k scenic videos on YouTube which looked awesome. My 8 year old plasma tv still seems to do motion better than this new TV however.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
CBS and NBC use 1080i resolution @30 frames per second while ABC, Fox and ESPN use 720p @60fps (for live events like sports). For fast motion things like sports, 720p is usually smoother. For grand panoramic views that are relatively free of action, 1080i shows better. This is probably why the CBS games don't look as good. Next time you have the chance to switch between football games on Fox and CBS, flip back and forth and see if you can notice the difference.
Thanks!
I'll do that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom