3/9 Games to Watch for Seeding | The Boneyard

3/9 Games to Watch for Seeding

Reaction Score
Teams we wanted to win yesterday went 3-1 (with Seton Hall blowing a game).

Today they'll probably do worse much worse for a variety of reasons. Obviously we want to win our own game, and that's the most important. After that, these are the results we want:

BET
St. John's over Marquette
DePaul over Xavier
Villanova over Creighton

1-2 is probably best case here​

ACC
Wake Forest over Miami
North Carolina over Virginia

1-1 is probably best case here​

Big 12
Iowa State over Baylor
Oklahoma State over Texas
TCU over Kansas State

2-1 is probably best case here​

PAC12
Oregon over Washington State
Stanford over Arizona
UCLA over Colorado

2-1 is best case here​

SEC
Florida over Mississippi State
Ole Miss over Tennessee
LSU over Vanderbilt

1-1 is best case here​
Other
Saint Joseph's over Dayton
Davidson over VCU
SMU over UCF

All of these are to hope Seton Hall gets back to Q1.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why would anyone root for teams to lose if those teams represent UConn’s best wins? We want every good team UConn has played to win as many games as possible leading up to Selection Sunday, or until they play UConn. Full stop, not open for debate.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone root for teams to lose if those teams represent UConn’s best wins? We want every good team UConn has played to win as many games as possible leading up to Selection Sunday, or until they play UConn. Full stop, not open for debate.
We're neck and neck with a team like Xavier for seeding in NCAA.

But agree that I don't think we want Marquette to lose. Until we beat them. St John's is too far down the quadrant to come up in one game (since we would play them next).

Think we basically want Creighton and Villanova to tie.

Agree with everything else. I think Oregon and Ole Miss are our two biggest rooting interests today. Villanova keeping it close after that.

Reaction Score
We want Villanova to stay Q1 road win. They're 72 right now. Top 75 is Q1. Creighton loss won't move them down a quadrant for our home win.

St. John's is too far removed from becoming a Q1 Road win or Q2 home loss, so agreed we want Marquette to win, because if we win today it'd give us a great chance at nother huge win tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Old man yells at cloud…

All these arbitrary quadrant thresholds are dumb. As if there is any difference between the 76th and 74th teams.

Is that only used on the committee sheets to help summarize the data? I can’t imagine the actual metrics like NET have arbitrary thresholds defined. And hoping the committee looks more closely than these broad categories.

Wondering how much teams moving across quad boundaries really matters.

Reaction Score
I think we actually prefer for the strong Big East teams to advance.

We may get a bump in seeding for beating Marquette, not so much for St. John's. For seeding purposes, nobody cares about "BET champs," these are really just games to boost our resume.

Reaction Score
Marquette, KSU and Baylor seem like the 3 teams we could steal the 3 seed from. This year has so much parity I don't think there's a ton of difference in any of the top 4 seeds.

Reaction Score
Old man yells at cloud…

All these arbitrary quadrant thresholds are dumb. As if there is any difference between the 76th and 74th teams.

Is that only used on the committee sheets to help summarize the data? I can’t imagine the actual metrics like NET have arbitrary thresholds defined. And hoping the committee looks more closely than these broad categories.

Wondering how much teams moving across quad boundaries really matters.
Yes mainly to summarize, though the records themselves are listed as well.

The other metrics do not have arbitrary points, no.

Probably doesn't matter that much, but it gives us something to root for.

Reaction Score
Marquette, KSU and Baylor seem like the 3 teams we could steal the 3 seed from. This year has so much parity I don't think there's a ton of difference in any of the top 4 seeds.
Tennessee’s the main one. That’s who we should REALLY be hoping goes down before we do in the conference tourney.

I honestly don’t see a super realistic path that gets us in front of any of those 3 (and probably Gonzaga) on the s-curve. Baylor’s a 2 and very likely staying on that line even if they lose today.

Tennessee though? Heck, we may already be past them. The last 3 seed imo comes down to them and us.

Reaction Score
Everyone is just assuming we're behind those teams, but all we really know is we were behind them on Feb 18. The eye test obviously means a lot based upon the initial rankings.

Reaction Score
Yes mainly to summarize, though the records themselves are listed as well.

The other metrics do not have arbitrary points, no.

Probably doesn't matter that much, but it gives us something to root for.
Ok I’m good with that. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's much "help" we can get at this point. These borderline NET games are a waste of time. Comes down to UConn's performance. Lose today, probably 4. Otherwise 3 and an very outside shot at 2 with a BET win. Tenn losing early is the only thing that may marginally impact seeding.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We want Villanova to stay Q1 road win. They're 72 right now. Top 75 is Q1. Creighton loss won't move them down a quadrant for our home win.

St. John's is too far removed from becoming a Q1 Road win or Q2 home loss, so agreed we want Marquette to win, because if we win today it'd give us a great chance at nother huge win tomorrow.

I don't think Villanova as #68 or whatever will help our seeding at all, but one of our best wins, Creighton, losing to a team barely over .500, could be enough to drop UConn a line. We don't want anyone in that room thinking that UConn is just loading up wins on a mediocre conference.

We want Marquette, Creighton and Xavier to win today, and then we want UConn to curb stomp Providence, then Marquette, and finish off prime time Saturday night with a great win in a well-played game that a ton of people watch. We also hope for an ACC final of Pitt and NC State, Illinois and Iowa in the Big 10, a Big 12 Final of Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State, USC vs. Oregon in the Pac 12, Alabama to run roughshod over the SEC. All conference finals that would hurt our competition, no one would care about, and most importantly, would help UConn by making our good wins look better.

Reaction Score
Full stop, not open for debate
Lol. If you say so.

We're neck and neck with a team like Xavier for seeding in NCAA.

But agree that I don't think we want Marquette to lose. Until we beat them. St John's is too far down the quadrant to come up in one game (since we would play them next).

Think we basically want Creighton and Villanova to tie.

Agree with everything else. I think Oregon and Ole Miss are our two biggest rooting interests today. Villanova keeping it close after that.
In retrospect, you're right on Marquette. They won't fall out of Q1 with a loss, but St. John's can't jump a quadrant without beating us, so not worth it. Probably better to play Marquette if we want another Q1 win.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lol. If you say so.

In retrospect, you're right on Marquette. They won't fall out of Q1 with a loss, but St. John's can't jump a quadrant without beating us, so not worth it. Probably better to play Marquette if we want another Q1 win.

I think you are wildly overrating the value of quadrants.

Reaction Score
And yet, somehow, despite sucking, Baylor will still land a 2 seed. I'm preemptively pissed off about it.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
Decourcy says Baylor is really hurting themselves with ISU loss re: seeding

At 22-10 they shouldn't be close to a two seed. 10 losses! Unless they beat 22 teams in the top 25, no way should they be. Will they, who knows, unfortunately many think they could be.

EDIT: That said, I don't think UConn can move up to the two line anyway.

Purdue, Bama, KU, UCLA and Houston seem solid in the 1-2 line. Gonzaga, UT, Zona also seem ahead of UConn, which makes eight not including Baylor or Tennessee which the committee seem to love.

Reaction Score
ESPN's opinion . . .

With the NCAA Tournament set to begin next week, ESPN has revealed which programs have the best chance of winning it all. Believe it or not, the Worldwide Leader In Sports thinks there are only eight teams that could win the national title. Those eight teams are Alabama, UConn, Houston, Kansas, Marquette, Purdue, Tennessee and UCLA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom