2021 Recruiting: - 247 on UConn's recruiting class | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: 247 on UConn's recruiting class

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
LOL. Without Martin's season, we don't make the tournament this year and you wouldn't have seen how poorly he played against Maryland. Yikes, what a take. Especially as more playing time was extremely unlikely to have improved Jackson's long range shooting, which was by far the largest problem with his game. We know people were concerned about his outside shot coming into the season.
I’m not as concerned with Jackson’s shooting as much as I’m concerned with his scoring aggression altogether. He could’ve got more comfortable attacking and attempting to score altogether. But he didn’t play too well once Bouk got back. Hit 1 three pointer after his return and had 2 double digit scoring games.

We probably need the transfers to have bodies on the roster but we have to do a better job of prioritizing our young guys development while finding roles for these guys on the team. They simply haven’t been consistent enough to slow down the development and hurt the confidence of guys like AJ and Gaffney so far.

Reaction Score
That’s the only transfer I’d personally would like us to take right now is a lights out shooter. Don’t want anyone else coming in to mess with the development of our freshmen. Think Martin slowed AJ’s development this year and I’m not completely sure if it was worth it seeing how he performed at the end of the season. Would rather give those shots and minutes to develop AJ.

Andre’s busted up knee and broken wrist slowed Andre’s development, not Tyrese.

Reaction Score
I'm not thrilled with a Northeast focus in recruiting. While there's certainly a lot of talent in the Northeast, I prefer to cast a wide net and get the best talent regardless of geography. Both JC and KO recruited nationally and internationally (at least during JC's period of infatuation with Israeli players). Focusing on the Northeast only strikes me as laziness and a reluctance of DH and staff to hit the road. Just my opinion.

I know right? So lazy. They haven’t even been on the road recruiting for over a year!

But then again, you could just listen to what the actual coaches say about their recruiting approach.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Andre’s busted up knee and broken wrist slowed Andre’s development, not Tyrese.
Agree to disagree. Think if Andre had a role to score more he could’ve worked on that part of his game. With his athleticism and handle it’s really hard to see why he didn’t attack the basket more. Not being able to shoot isn’t an excuse either.

Reaction Score
Is this some high level satire I'm not getting?
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Hurley say that the staff would be concentrating on where they currently recruit before eventually expanding the footprint? I thought he made that comment earlier this past season. I'm hoping maybe you would recall that. Thanks

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Think if Andre had a role to score more he could’ve worked on that part of his game. With his athleticism and handle it’s really hard to see why he didn’t attack the basket more. Not being able to shoot isn’t an excuse either.
Martin playing had nothing to do with the fact that Andre couldn't even hit the rim on a lot of his jumpers and he couldn't or didn't finish at the rim a lot aside from putback dunks. More playing time in relation to Martin wasn't changing that - I remember him airballing shots in the last few games after he actually got some run.

I disagree with your second point as well. When no one respects you at all as a shooter it's really, really tough to get to the basket and finish. I'm really impressed that he is such a great passer as his lack of shooting and inability to get to the rim made his passing windows tiny and he still managed to sling them in there.

The kid needs the sort of offensive confidence that comes after a he gets a year under the belt and an offseason working with other college players. This team in 2020, with the long absences of Bouk and Akok, couldn't afford to let Andre work out his offensive growing pains by missing 8 shots a game. Martin, though he didn't play well at the end of the year, really kept us alive for a string of games. I don't think Andre has the worst form, and as you pointed out has great handles and athleticism. I think he's a smart kid - almost too smart (in a basketball sense - sometimes you need to be selfishly stupid and shake off misses) - who was overthinking things on offense a bit. I think he's a great teammate who prioritized everything but scoring last year, but I think he'll take a huge leap forward.

Reaction Score
These freshman are going to be so so so good. Idk how anyone can think this past year's team will be better. Losing Bouk hurts, but a full offseason for the rest of our core, a healthy Akok, and 3 impact freshman is going to make a HUGE difference. We'll easily be a top 15 team next season, and that's before adding anyone from the transfer market.
If we add a shooter who can play the 2 on the transfer market this team is all set.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Hurley say that the staff would be concentrating on where they currently recruit before eventually expanding the footprint? I thought he made that comment earlier this past season. I'm hoping maybe you would recall that. Thanks

Hurley has said he's starting with that strategy until he gets the team back to national relevance and then he'll expand the recruiting base. He didn't think it was possible to effectively recruit nationally with where the team has been for the last few years. He thinks his best chances with recruits is getting kids who want to stay in the Northeast. It's worked well so far and now he just needs to build the program up a little more and then he can target recruits outside the Northeast.

Calhoun's strategy while he was building the program was to recruit outside the footprint of the Big East so he wasn't recruiting against the established powers like Syracuse, St. John's, Georgetown, and to a lesser degree Seton Hall, Villanova, etc., in their backyards. He sold kids on competing against these nationally prominent teams with an exciting physical brand of basketball. It was a sound strategy that worked. Hurley doesn't have the same Big East to recruit to while recruits nationwide have conferences with well established programs in their geographical area. Could Hurley go into Detroit, Dallas, L.A., etc. today and convince a kid to come to UConn? He thinks the probability is too low right now to try that.

Btw, look where Villanova recruits (roster: https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster)? Only 2 kids on the roster from outside the Northeast and 1 is a transfer. Why?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Martin playing had nothing to do with the fact that Andre couldn't even hit the rim on a lot of his jumpers and he couldn't or didn't finish at the rim a lot aside from putback dunks. More playing time in relation to Martin wasn't changing that - I remember him airballing shots in the last few games after he actually got some run.

I disagree with your second point as well. When no one respects you at all as a shooter it's really, really tough to get to the basket and finish. I'm really impressed that he is such a great passer as his lack of shooting and inability to get to the rim made his passing windows tiny and he still managed to sling them in there.

The kid needs the sort of offensive confidence that comes after a he gets a year under the belt and an offseason working with other college players. This team in 2020, with the long absences of Bouk and Akok, couldn't afford to let Andre work out his offensive growing pains by missing 8 shots a game. Martin, though he didn't play well at the end of the year, really kept us alive for a string of games. I don't think Andre has the worst form, and as you pointed out has great handles and athleticism. I think he's a smart kid - almost too smart (in a basketball sense - sometimes you need to be selfishly stupid and shake off misses) - who was overthinking things on offense a bit. I think he's a great teammate who prioritized everything but scoring last year, but I think he'll take a huge leap forward.
Again I’m not too concerned about his shooting ability as I am about his lack of want to attack. I think his role in relation to Martin did that. Martin missed A LOT of bunnies at the rim and would’ve liked to give those chances to Jackson instead if he was going to do that. Forget the shots.

Kemba wasn’t a great shooter when he got here either but was phenomenal at getting to the basket. With Jackson’s handles and overall athleticism I don’t see why that couldn’t be a thing. To me he simply didn’t try to attack most times he was on the floor.

“I think he's a smart kid - almost too smart (in a basketball sense - sometimes you need to be selfishly stupid and shake off misses) - who was overthinking things on offense a bit. I think he's a great teammate who prioritized everything but scoring last year, but I think he'll take a huge leap forward.”

This part I agree with 100%. He rarely looked to score it seemed and it’s frustrating with a kid that talented. I think if he was forced to we could’ve saw a different player. Similar to how Gaffney became a different player his freshman year when he was forced into the starting lineup. Instead the shots went to Martin who had great toughness but didn’t have near the IQ, skill, or talent Jackson had. Simply just the want to score.

Reaction Score
I'm not thrilled with a Northeast focus in recruiting. While there's certainly a lot of talent in the Northeast, I prefer to cast a wide net and get the best talent regardless of geography. Both JC and KO recruited nationally and internationally (at least during JC's period of infatuation with Israeli players). Focusing on the Northeast only strikes me as laziness and a reluctance of DH and staff to hit the road. Just my opinion.
If I recall correctly, the recruiting plan was to take advantage of Hurley's Jersey and Northeast connections and solidifying a regional recruiting base before attempting to recruit nationally.

It's coming.

Reaction Score

NO. 9 CONNECTICUT HUSKIES​

Dan Hurley took a step as UConn’s head coach this year, reaching the NCAA Tournament for the first time. It’s actually the Huskies first appearance in the Big Dance since 2015-16. That surging performance helped UConn ink its first top 10 recruiting class since 2016.

The group is led by a pair of top 50 prospects, Rahsool Diggins and Jordan Hawkins. Diggins, a 6-foot-1, 160-pound point guard from Philadelphia, picked the Huskies over a host of national offers. Hawkins ranks as the nation’s No. 49 overall player and the No. 11 shooting guard nationally. The DeMatha Catholic product picked UConn over several high-profile offers, including his home state Maryland. Also included in the Huskies’ 2021 class is center Samson Johnson. The 6-foot-10, 205-pound New Jersey native – UConn’s recruiting base is always the Northeast – has experience playing with Diggins on the circuit and they bring immediate chemistry to Storrs.

“Dan Hurley and his staff have success bringing in talent to Storrs, and they did it again in 2021,” Branham said. “I really like this class that they have coming in and especially love the addition of Rahsool Diggins. Diggins is a smooth, crafty and skilled point guard who effectively gets where he wants on the floor and is a dynamic playmaker who can also get his own. The other two additions – Jordan Hawkins and Samson Johnson – are also both excellent pickups. Hawkins brings instant offense and toughness with a college ready body and Johnson brings high level athleticism, length and very high upside as a rim protector, defender and rebounder with a budding offensive skillset.”
The recruiting dam break which James started continues and more irons in the fire.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Call me a negative Nellie, but I have to see it. I've had a mostly miserable last five years as a sports fan. My two favorite teams, our Huskies and the local nine here (Pirates) have sucked since 2015, overpromising recruits/draft picks and not producing. So call me dubious. At least UConn is making better progress than the Pirates.

Remember, we're only five years removed from a top 10 recruiting class touted as one of our best ever.

On reading the article, I was surprised that Hamilton has been at FSU for the entire century. I still associate him with Miami and those ridiculously physical games. I'm also wondering if these NBA pros taking coaching jobs are getting recruits more for their personal reps as NBAers and whatever that means to the kids as opposed to a traditional hard-nosed college coach. Kinda of more sizzle than steak thing, but I'll admit that Howard and Hardaway have gotten results.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, the recruiting plan was to take advantage of Hurley's Jersey and Northeast connections and solidifying a regional recruiting base before attempting to recruit nationally.

It's coming.

Yes. I would hope we all realize that. Not sure why anybody is concerned. The reality is that recruiting the northeast has changed anyway. St. Johns, BC, PC, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St.Joe’s, Syracuse...none of them have a higher appeal and profile than UConn. Villanova and UConn are the big dogs, and the competition is increasingly big P5 football schools. The days of Calhoun luring Ray from SC, Ollie from LA, that is much harder now. But we’ve got loads of local prep talent we didn’t have then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom