2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
This kid looks smooth and seems to have a high motor. He could use 10-15 lbs of muscle as long as it doesn’t impact his quickness. The staff would make Reed into a very solid piece.

Reaction Score
We won’t have another Clingan or Sanogo. We have guys like Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Karaban already on this team. Samson already coming off the bench. Assuming another STRONG transfer G will be coming

It’s feeling like our star won’t be a C. Reed is a big body, seems like he has skill, and if he’s visiting UConn then he wants to be coached hard.

Even if he is just an average player, I trust Hurley and staff to develop an average 6’10 bruiser junior to be a major positive contributor. There’s nobody in the country that’s a 1-1 Clingan replacement

Reaction Score
I've watched 4 Michigan games today (thanks strep throat) on double speed. FT shooting is a concern but everything else is what we want. He's not Donovan or Sanogo but he's a legit top-25 starting center with the right coaching.
Thank you.

RJ Cole. Tyrese Martin. Tristen Newton. Hassan Diarra. Cam Spencer.

These are all transfers Hurley and the staff have added who developed got better thanks to this staff.

Adama Sanogo. Isaiah Whaley. Samson Johnson. Donovan Clingan. Alex Karaban.

These are all frontcourt players who got better thanks to Dan Hurley and the development from this staff.

This is UConn. We are a destination.

However, Hurley and the staff are very picky about who they want to add in the transfer portal. They "snipe".

If they want Reed Jr., then I want Reed Jr.

Like even if Reed Jr. ends up at UConn and plays exactly the same as he did last year at Michigan, we'd add an excellent rebounder and a solid low-post threat and rim protector to played 22-26 mpg alongside Samson Johnson, should Samson return.

But if Reed Jr. ends up at UConn, he's not going to "play exactly the same" as he did at Michigan, he will get better and improve the longer he is with the program.

Reaction Score
On a per minute basis and percentage basis Sanogo was way better come on don’t be obtuse. Sanogo was a clear future star from day 1, Michigan fans don’t even care that Reed is transferring. I’m not hating on the kid. I’m literally just looking at what he has done. He was on a bad team that was still worse with him on the floor. Hes a former top 40 kid so I get the draw from that standpoint, but he is not good right now. @auror’s first post shows that
There is danger in looking at a guy's recruiting ranking when evaluating transfers (how many people on this board talked themselves into thinking Terry Larrier would be a stud based on his top 50 ranking while ignoring the fact that he was terrible at VCU), but Michigan was a trainwreck and we have among the best staff in the country at talent/fit evaluation and a track record of developing guys.

I'd give the staff the benefit of the doubt that they have a plan here.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Samson, this was his first year playing any semblance of significant minutes since he was a senior in high school. He may never develop a shooting touch, but what reason do we have to assume he won’t make a big jump in his overall development this summer?
I'm rooting for him as much as any of us and hoping he'll show the "wall potential" DH has spoken about but, after seeing the enormous improvement by HD this past summer, I'd ask what SJ's been doing the last two summers.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if during his jr and sr year in high school and eybl if while recruiting our guys laid eyes on Tarris. I don’t think so. Could they have liked him and went in a different direction. Maybe. Glad they did because we have back to backers. Is it possible our guys kept an eye on him. Again, possibly. Im guessing that our coaches have so much info on Tarris, have talked to everyone important that knows him and his family that they’re sure he’s the right fit for this team. We as fans can evaluate him but we only see a small fraction of what’s there, and given more info you might be on board with Tarris. I can’t do a deep dive on this young man because I’m just a fan and lack info. Totally trust the best coaches in college basketball currently. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if during his jr and sr year in high school and eybl if while recruiting our guys laid eyes on Tarris. I don’t think so. Could they have liked him and went in a different direction. Maybe. Glad they did because we have back to backers. Is it possible our guys kept an eye on him. Again, possibly. Im guessing that our coaches have so much info on Tarris, have talked to everyone important that knows him and his family that they’re sure he’s the right fit for this team. We as fans can evaluate him but we only see a small fraction of what’s there, and given more info you might be on board with Tarris. I can’t do a deep dive on this young man because I’m just a fan and lack info. Totally trust the best coaches in college basketball currently. Go Huskies!!
If you recall we were focused on another big man at the time….Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Could be those are the same people who believed Coach Hurley when he said Samson had wall potential.

Obviously Clingan showed massive potential as Adama's backup. But there were plenty of doubters as to whether he could be as effective as a starter with twice the # of minutes. Do we really know whether Samson has peaked or if he has another level to reach and more skills to showcase given an increased role?
For his sake, let's hope so because he seems like a nice kid and a great teammate.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if during his jr and sr year in high school and eybl if while recruiting our guys laid eyes on Tarris. I don’t think so. Could they have liked him and went in a different direction. Maybe. Glad they did because we have back to backers.
Yes we went with Clingan that year. Who, if I am not mistaken was interested in Michigan too (?). Reed jr. was ranked higher, his high school highlights were better, vs better HS competition. Our staff worked wonders with DC, and he worked hard to become a Rim runner, bc he wasnt nearly as athletic in HS. Hope we get a chance with Reed. He can move as a big body with actual game. Would rather have him than Cliff, Wolf etc (though i sure do like Zyonimir Ivisic :) , though dont know if theres any interest since he just portaled- or the same fit for that matter)
Kentucky basketball's Zvonimir Ivisic enters transfer portal after brief time in Lexington

Reaction Score
If you recall we were focused on another big man at the time….Donovan Clingan
I do recall. That is why I stated that I’m glad we went in a different direction.

Reaction Score
Don’t quite understand the hate.

So, using your apparent definition, it's hateful to outline shortcomings that, left uncorrected, will limit a player's time on the floor and their ability to help the team?

Reaction Score
I watch his highlights and I am really excited. If he adapts as quickly as Cam Spencer we have a star this year. If not, in two years I'd bet the ranch he's first team BE, and impactful at the National level(I guess those are redundant statements)

Reaction Score

Attachments

• clingan.jpg
    clingan.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 90
Reaction Score
So, using your apparent definition, when DH and the staff have honest discussions with each player about how they fit with the team's makeup and goals for next year it's hateful to outline their shortcomings that, left uncorrected, will limit their time on the floor?
I’m confused by your question. Where did I say that?

Reaction Score

Thank God for DC he stayed home huh? And now maybe DH and staff take a kid away from that hot mess and make him a star!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
my god, the horror! that post/picture should come with a trigger warning

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for him as much as any of us and hoping he'll show the "wall potential" DH has spoken about but, after seeing the enormous improvement by HD this past summer, I'd ask what SJ's been doing the last two summers.
Recovering from an Achilles Heal injury. This year was his first full season playing college basketball. I felt he improved as the season progressed.

The second biggest problem is his inability to stop his moving screens. He’s too reactive. It’s terrific in the pick and roll but gets him in trouble with setting screens. In my opinion he did improve as the season progressed so hopefully he removes this bad habit next season.

His biggest problem is he gets pushed around on defense against strong centers and his tendency is to use his arms to push players back resulting in fouls. He not only needs to get stronger but needs to learn to keep his arms close to his body. This is the debate. Can he gain weight to avoid being pushed. It’s the major reason we’re recruiting Reed.

Additionally he needs major improvement in fouling while blocking shots. Again I saw improvement as the season progressed and feel with experience he will improve. He has the potential to be a great shot blocker.

Reaction Score
If Tarris fits the profile that the staff is looking for re: BBIQ and roster need. I'm in. Looks like the physical tool kit is there with some tweaking from our player development and SnC .

I can't remember a recent target/recruit who had an interest in music-Playing the sax.Jazz. How does UConn's Music dept/resources stack up vs other schools he's interested in? I have no idea. To be clear- Not a deal-breaker/maker but couldn't hurt to have some resources that he can access when he's off the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Tarris fits the profile that the staff is looking for re: BBIQ and roster need. I'm in. Looks like the physical tool kit is there with some tweaking from our player development and SnC .

I can't remember a recent target/recruit who had an interest in music-Playing the sax.Jazz. How does UConn's Music dept/resources stack up vs other schools he's interested in? I have no idea. To be clear- Not a deal-breaker/maker but couldn't hurt to have some resources that he can access when he's off the court.
If he comes to UConn he'll be able to perform a saxophone version of the national anthem before his NBA games. Maybe even a half-time show here and there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom