2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
I get the impression theydon’t want to appear to be recruiting over Samson. This seems to be a complementary player who has muscle to play against more physical centers.
You Nailed it. Not sure if mentioned but has a pretty nice lefty game around hoop a la Sanogo. Makes it look relatively easy. Really like this guy as a fit here. with our development he could be monster in a year or so.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wonder if we got a more elite center and Samson wanted to leave if we Singare would be able to handle playing a backup role. I guess if that doesn't happen we might red shirt hm?
This staff recruited Samson last season to remain with the program. They have been high on him since day 1. They likely believe he is better than he’s shown. I’m not going to second guess them after watching the leap Hassan has made year over year.

Reaction Score
There is no big man in the world outside of Jokic who could look even decent w/ a bad coach and no guards.

Reed has great size and close to elite feel -- sets good screens (could & will improve) and is a very, very good passer. Not a quick jumper so he's not an excellent finisher around the rim, but he's still very good.

Very good but not elite paint protector. Excellent 1v1 post defender and very good pick & roll defender.

Basically a poor man's version of Clingan. I don't think we reasonably could've asked for me.
A very very good passer who has 22 career assists and 105 turnovers? What am I missing here?

Reaction Score
This staff recruited Samson last season to remain with the program. They have been high on him since day 1. They likely believe he is better than he’s shown. I’m not going to second guess them after watching the leap Hassan has made year over year.
Yeah not doubting. Just replying to people who are disappointed in Reed as the pickup. I wonder what the plan is with Singare? He won't get minutes until his Jr. year basically like Samson?

Reaction Score
After watching all the vids etc. I think Reed might actually be the best fit for the system we've put together. He can score in the post (one of the best footwork of any of the bigs), is a widebody and sets really good screens. He looks confident with the ball in his hands, blocks some shots, rebounds, etc. Some of the other guys are bigger names with maybe more gaudy stats, but I think Reed might be the best fit. Super added bonus is that he'd be here for more than a year. I think he's the closest to Clingan out there (not remotely insinuating that he's as good.)

Reaction Score
A very very good passer who has 22 career assists and 105 turnovers? What am I missing here?
relying on stats rather than watching game film. Like someone trying to use a two game period of stats to tell us if Hausen can shoot the 3.

Reed has a great feel for the game, so will be able to pass out of the top of the key for backdoor cuts in our 5 out sets. Has vision alot of bigs dont. Love his spin move too. Was a top 50 commit 2 yrs ago based on his raw talent. Raw talent that was underutilized on his former squad. Just like with Hausen.

Reaction Score
Not super excited about the pickup but I can see why UConn is going this way. They want Johnson to stay. Well let's trust in the system and hope Johnson gains 20-25 lbs of muscle in the offseason without losing too much of his hops. Whatever happen to his shooting? He came as a recruit who could shoot from outside. I was hopng he could play more of the 4 position and not just the 5 but I don't see that happening based on how ugly his shot is right now.

Reaction Score
After watching all the vids etc. I think Reed might actually be the best fit for the system we've put together. He can score in the post (one of the best footwork of any of the bigs), is a widebody and sets really good screens. He looks confident with the ball in his hands, blocks some shots, rebounds, etc. Some of the other guys are bigger names with maybe more gaudy stats, but I think Reed might be the best fit. Super added bonus is that he'd be here for more than a year. I think he's the closest to Clingan out there (not remotely insinuating that he's as good.)
Gotta look beyond his stats. Watch the tape. Quick, Big frame, Great footwork, quick twitch, good passer, 2 yrs eligibility. He tries to play like Karl Malone. Looks like him physically. Will be great both sides with pick and roll. Someone said in other thread Jeff Adrien-ish
This, all of this. Defensively owning the post. He has a lot of natural athleticism and power. Playing in Hurley's sets, staff will develop him into a draft pick.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Interesting we are in so deep with him with Luke being a huge analytics guy and seeing Reed’s analytics. They must really think there is a diamond in the rough here. Maybe our top big choices are either too expensive or interested in other schools as well. We shall see.
This one doesn’t make sense to me if we have our pick of the litter. His turnover % is insane, 22%! he does not have the best hands. Maybe Hurley feels we needs some girth/rebounding/toughness inside he takes up a ton of space laterally with his broad shoulders and long arms. This the 3rd 6’9ish broad shouldered 4/5 we’ve been linked to.

Reaction Score
I think Slamson was crazy impactful in a few tournament games where we played faster when he was in. Even Purdue when barely in he made an impact.

Further, Def saw a lot less of him falling down all the time & unable to get rebounds as well (from earlier in season). Would imagine staff thinks he can really take a big jump for us next season. He really bounced back down the stretch from earlier in season when it seemed he was allergic to rebounding for a while.

Bring some competition and let best man win. Would think Slamson might start game 1 but not if Reed outplays him In preseason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the impression theydon’t want to appear to be recruiting over Samson. This seems to be a complementary player who has muscle to play against more physical centers.

They are clearly recruiting over Samson. Reed Jr. is being recruited as a starting center and that should come as a surprise to no one.

Samson will stay and be a candidate for 6th-man of the year if he keeps his improving. We need a starting big.

Reaction Score
I wonder if we got a more elite center and Samson wanted to leave if we Singare would be able to handle playing a backup role. I guess if that doesn't happen we might red shirt hm?
I think Reed is a good compromise. He starts and plays 22-23mpg and Samson plays 17-18mpg off the bench

Reaction Score

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t take the best available to them and keep SJ happy as a back up while chasing his 3rd!

Reaction Score
I think Reed is a good compromise. He starts and plays 22-23mpg and Samson plays 17-18mpg off the bench
I would be surprised if Samson doesn't start and Reed comes off the bench at least at the start of the season. I'm sure Samson is going to gain some much needed muscles in the offseason and I'm sure Hurley has told him if he does what he needs to do he will start. Reed can start in his Sr. year. Of course I'm sure they will interchanged the 2 depending on matchup advantage too.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Gotta trust that Hurley's not chasing "best resume"; he's after pieces that fit.

Reaction Score
Was a top 50 commit 2 yrs ago based on his raw talent. Raw talent that was underutilized on his former squad.
Definitely talent there. Rivals had him #31 in class of '22. Clingan #39. Looking at his two games vs Illinois, 31 minutes, 16.5 pts, 6 rebounds, 7 of 9 FT. But then there are the two Purdue games where he averaged 5 fouls over 22.5 minutes and 4 points,. But 8.5 rebounds. Went to the line once in the 45 minutes of playing time.

Reaction Score
Definitely talent there. Rivals had him #31 in class of '22. Clingan #39. Looking at his two games vs Illinois, 31 minutes, 16.5 pts, 6 rebounds, 7 of 9 FT. But then there are the two Purdue games where he averaged 5 fouls over 22.5 minutes and 4 points,. But 8.5 rebounds. Went to the line once in the 45 minutes of playing time.
@FreeKlaiber @husky429 @navery12 Fanboy alarms blaring!!!!!!! Using stats over small game windows that don't support your agenda!!!

Reaction Score
He only had a point guard for half the games and his coach got fired 3 years after taking his team to the Elite 8, so we're talking about a Kevin Ollie-type situation here.
Getting to the Elite Eight takes half of the six wins it takes to win a Natty, and not the difficult half. Seven of eight coaches who make the Elite Eight don't win a Natty. Comparing that to KO is just not a good comparison.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can’t imagine they wouldn’t take the best available to them and keep SJ happy as a back up while chasing his 3rd!
Reed is currently 10th best rated center on 247. Maybe higher transfers are bag shopping. Maybe Reed’s potential is what we want. My take is kid has not played in a complex offense. His learning curve might be steep. Added to his fundamentals his recruitment is a head scratcher as the starter necessary for a 3 peat. We get a visit from Cliff or Ballo I’ll change my position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom