2024-25 Starting Lineup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024-25 Starting Lineup

Reaction Score
Granted that Geno will have to experiment early on with this cornucopia of riches, and the aftermath of earlier injuries will still restrict Azzi and Aubrey at the beginning of the season but let's look ahead to what settled lineups might look like when everyone is (hopefully) healthy and available.

My expectation for the starters:

1 - Paige
2 - Azzi
3 - Allie
4 - Sarah
5 - Jana

Second starting 5:

1 - KK
2 - Ash
3 - Morgan
4 - Aubrey
5 - Ice

End of the Bench:

1 - Ines
2 - Caroline
3 - Q
4 - Yanna
5 - Amari

It's very hard to think that Q will likely be hard pressed to find minutes but Allie and Morgan were starters in the McDonald's All-American game (as was Sarah giving UCONN 30% of the MCD starters!). She may show up her need to play while Aubrey remains on the mend.

Over all, barring injuries I think this team could be not only number 12, but one of the strongest of Geno's many juggernauts!
Maybe UConn should field two teams

Reactions: PvP

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think Geno will go: Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, Jana to start the season. Everyone in their natural position with energy and scoring coming of the bench with KK, Ash, Aubrey (when ready), Ayanna, Q, Morgan
Thats only 2 guards, we need more than that. Replace Ice with Allie or Ashlynn.

Reaction Score
I think KK, Azzi, PB, Ayanna, and Jana is almost the perfect lineup. Feel like Ayanna and KK could be huge defensively and rebounding. Ayanna also will do a lot of the dirty work, screening to get players open, and getting second chance opportunities. Azzi and PB of course great shooting. Jana can shoot a little bit as well. PB faciltating. KK pushing the ball but also scoring. But similar to SC, if we are healthy I just think we have to give everyone minutes. Like Allie can spell Azzi if she's off. Ash can spell PB. Ice and Jana are interchangable. Of course Strong should get a lot of minutes. Obviously Uconn plays a totally different style of offense, but I'm hoping everyone gets minutes. SC went 9 deep. Uconn not going ten deep, would be a bit hard. But don't want to get side tracked. Minutes thread I'm sure is forthcoming. So KK, AzF, PB, AP, JA.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they’ll use Sarah as more of a guard.
No chance.

For sure playing Sarah as a SF on the permieter- but no way she is a guard. Unless we're talking SF and SG as the the same thing- then sure. So as long as they have another "SG" and "PG." - then sure it's a possibility.

But on Defense no way she isnt inside in some manner required for rebounding. And Sarah is terirfic scoring down low.

Reaction Score
No chance.

For sure playing Sarah as a SF on the permieter- but no way she is a guard. Unless we're talking SF and SG as the the same thing- then sure. So as long as they have another "SG" and "PG." - then sure it's a possibility.

But on Defense no way she isnt inside in some manner required for rebounding. And Sarah is terirfic scoring down low.
Yes if you consider a SF. A guard, I think she’ll be played in that role. Not a SG. I’d say SF are key rebounders imo.

Reaction Score
Granted that Geno will have to experiment early on with this cornucopia of riches, and the aftermath of earlier injuries will still restrict Azzi and Aubrey at the beginning of the season but let's look ahead to what settled lineups might look like when everyone is (hopefully) healthy and available.

My expectation for the starters:

1 - Paige
2 - Azzi
3 - Allie
4 - Sarah
5 - Jana

Second starting 5:

1 - KK
2 - Ash
3 - Morgan
4 - Aubrey
5 - Ice

End of the Bench:

1 - Ines
2 - Caroline
3 - Q
4 - Yanna
5 - Amari

It's very hard to think that Q will likely be hard pressed to find minutes but Allie and Morgan were starters in the McDonald's All-American game (as was Sarah giving UCONN 30% of the MCD starters!). She may show up her need to play while Aubrey remains on the mend.

Over all, barring injuries I think this team could be not only number 12, but one of the strongest of Geno's many juggernauts!
I think it is fun to do this, but way off the mark. How do you conclude that Jana starts over ICE? Jana hasn't played a single moment in div 1 basketball, whereas Ice contributed strongly in the final four game against Iowa, and played every minute of our semi final and final games in the BE tournament. Ice was a five star recruit who needed this year to overcome her surgery, and get her game up to this level. And she did. And who believes AZZI will be the " generational player" she was supposed to be when she came here out of HS? She hasn't played in two years and may have lost speed and touch. And everyone can shoot threes now. You write off the contribution , and likely growth/improvement, of both KK and ASH? And I don't believe for a second that Q belongs sitting next to Amari on the bench. In all candor, Amari won't see any playing time at all next year ( a lovely young lady, but not good enough at this level ). Q could emerge as a brilliant player. Let's keep our minds open that she could become an amazing asset for UCONN. I think it likely that Caroline will " retire".... to safeguard her from permanent injury. I do agree that Ines has no chance of playing here ( unless
injuries force it ). As for two freshman starting next year?. That is quite an assumption. Have fun.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's see, we know what Paige, KK, Ash, Ice and Q can do. I would expect all will be working their game over the summer. There is your basis of a starting 5. Not saying all will start. But you have to have a base line.

Next - the walking wounded. All are quetion marks. Azzi - have to determine her quickness and lateral movement. This is the second ACL on that knee. Will her playing time be limited? Aubrey - probably not cleared until January at the earliest. As with Azzi, same knee with a second ACL. Same questions as Azzi. Caroline - no way to know if she will play. She says she's working her way back - but. Ayanna - do we really know what she can do? We have seen very little of her in two years. Jana - if she hadn't had the achilles injury she probably would have gotten serious minutes. Again we have yet to see. Amari - don't epect any change.

Sarah, Allie and Morgan - a trio of talented but untested freshmen. How quickly can they adapt and absorb the offense and defense Geno demands? None of us have any idea.

Geno and company have their work cut out for them. This what coaches live for. It will depend a lot on what schemes he will run for the offense and the defense. It is going to be really interesting and a lot of fun to watch the development of this group.

Reaction Score
I think Geno will go: Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, Jana to start the season. Everyone in their natural position with energy and scoring coming of the bench with KK, Ash, Aubrey (when ready), Ayanna, Q, Morgan
I'd go with KK as point guard, Paige as shooting guard, Jana, Ice, and Sarah. Caroline too slow and will still likely be prone to head/neck injury. Sarah will be another Maya Moore, you read it here.

Reaction Score
Yes if you consider a SF. A guard, I think she’ll be played in that role. Not a SG. I’d say SF are key rebounders imo.
No way. She has chosen to come to UConn so at UConn in a motion offense and committed switching defense, a player with her size and ball handling skill becomes a Power Forward. Oddly, I see her playing exactly the role Paige was forced to play this year.....PF/4

Other coaches might have told her she could be a guard but I'm sure Geno and Jamell in the reported meetings told her the truth and that her professional destiny is at the 4, not the 2 or 3. Elliot as the coach matched up with her and Geno discussions says everything.

Reaction Score
Strong will start let's not kid ourselves!
Geno is known to bring freshman along slowly, and I suspect he'll stick with his 40 year tradition and do the same with Strong, unless of course half the team is injured and he is forced to use freshmen the way he had to with Shade and Arnold this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No way. She has chosen to come to UConn so at UConn in a motion offense and committed switching defense, a player with her size and ball handling skill becomes a Power Forward. Oddly, I see her playing exactly the role Paige was forced to play this year.....PF/4

Other coaches might have told her she could be a guard but I'm sure Geno and Jamell in the reported meetings told her the truth and that her professional destiny is at the 4, not the 2 or 3. Elliot as the coach matched up with her and Geno discussions says everything.
I see her in the same role as Maya and Gabby, setting up at the elbow, creating for herself and her teammates. Like Maya and Gabby, Sarah is an exceptional passer. She lacks the athleticism of Maya or Gabby but, like Maya, her ability to make shots extends out to the 3-point line. Geno will use all of her skills in his offense.

Both Maya and Gabby played the PF at UConn. Maya played the 3 in the WNBA which was a seamless transition offensively but more of a struggle defensively. Gabby has always struggled at the 3 as a pro because of her inconsistent 3-point shooting.

Reaction Score
Geno is known to bring freshman along slowly,
That's not what he is "known for." He usually has better players because he has super teams with players at all spots. Next year his 4/5 spots are in flux - maybe not Ice.

She'll start. WHo else is he going to start that's isn't freshman at the 4/5 spot? Jana is a freshman too. You think Ayanna? Back to Paige at pf?

IMOit's Sarah's spot.

Reaction Score
That's not what he is "known for." He usually has better players because he has super teams with players at all spots. Next year his 4/5 spots are in flux - maybe not Ice.

She'll start. WHo else is he going to start that's isn't freshman at the 4/5 spot? Jana is a freshman too. You think Ayanna? Back to Paige at pf?

IMOit's Sarah's spot.
Yessss! Ice has shown very little! Strong will start over Ice!

Reaction Score

She’s too small to be a PF

Reaction Score
Yessss! Ice has shown very little! Strong will start over Ice!
Ice kept us in a couple of the Tournament games and still has some ceiling for improvement but agree that Strong appears to have a better overall skill set. Can someone sprinkle some Miracle-grow in her juice, because although she is a space eater, she may not have the hops to compete on boards. If Jana works out at post, however, Strong will actually should be an upgrade over Edwards at the high post, with respect to both shooting and passing

Orc

Reaction Score
No more small ball. The starting lineup I like is Arnold, paige,Azzi,strong, and Jana.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Paige, Shade and KK are not coming out of the starting lineup. Everyone else is will need to earn it.
This is a great point.
Nationwide there is chatter about great guard pairings like Hidalgo Miles or Fulwiley Johnson etc, but we have our own great pairings in KK &Ash and of course Paige&Azzi. If the walking wounded weren't coming back, we would be talking about having 4 years of kk and ash.
They really are a perfectly matched set with kk a true penetrating point, and ash having developed into a solid shooting guard. They have different strengths, but both are 5 tool players, scoring at 3 levels, passing and defense.
I'm curious how Geno will rotate next year, but it's a tremendous assets that these ladies and Ice and Q had all that playing time.

Reaction Score
His words not mine. You can go watch any of his pressers where he is asked about being forced to start Shade and KK.
Did he also mention how his teams were stronger in the past than what they have been recently?

Reaction Score
There is no way to know but assuming everyone is healthy:
Paige
Fudd
Ducharme
Strong
Brady

Reaction Score
I know we’re all speculating (me more than most :D ) and we all know how hard it is for freshmen (and freshmen equivalents) to make the transition to D1 level play. It’s a mental thing, learning to see and think in a much faster game environment, and a physical thing, developing a new level of stamina for many players.

Ash had a head start because her dad was a trainer and she was in tremendous shape when she arrived. She also had a gym rat’s mentality, always seeking perfection. KK took a little longer to find her balance and necessity gave her enough time to do it. Ice and Q took longer, and may have just begun to turn an important corner toward the end of the season.

So what might we expect to see from the new kids?
  • Sarah: she showed Paige-like passing skills in HS which suggests a lot of court-savvy. She may not be ready to start in November, but I expect she’ll crack the starting lineup sometime in January.
  • Morgan: her HS experience also suggests great court-savvy. She was the pg for the #1 school in the country. She was known for transition and half court passing. She also played the “tip of the spear” in the full-court press they typically ran for entire games. She’ll bring considerable stamina to the team.
  • Allie: a coach’s kid, she’s got court-savvy. A gym rat, she’s got Ash’s drive for perfection. In the words of her hs coach, he challenged his kids to take 1,000 shots each day in the summers, and Allie took 10,000 shots everyday.
  • Jana: she’s the great mystery for most of us, though Geno constantly praises her based on practices over the past year and a half. She’s also a coach’s kid which suggests some court-savvy. There are hints of how she might play available online from the FIBA summer games and also (if you’re really persistent) from her hs in Cairo. The level of competition in hs was low and she was the best ball handler on her team. This meant she didn’t often get post entry passes as her teammates weren’t skilled enough for that. Instead she typically had to drive down the lane or along the baseline. She also had to develop a Dorka-level perimeter game. In those accursed FIBA games all her skills were on display against a higher level of competition. In particular, given the weakness of the Egyptian guards, the opposing bigs on the European teams usually just sagged on her in the lane. What I found most encouraging in this was how well she fought through double and triple teams to score and rebound. She is fierce and has immense courage. Just picture how she’ll play with the likes of Paige and KK and Sarah passing her the ball!

Of course, knowing Geno as we do, the key for any of them getting minutes is how quickly they learn the defensive schemes. I expect Sarah and Morgan will lead the way in this given what they showed in hs.
Excellent and incisive post, Bone Dog.

I'll add that, even though Geno might have been reticent to play some freshmen early, he likely watched today as Tessa Johnson and Malaysia Fulwiley played pivotal roles in SC's nine-player rotation. The Gamecocks won the title because they wore down the basically five-person Iowa team. 'Freshmen' brought fresh legs, energy and lots of skill.

If Morgan and Allie are even close to what we expect them to be, including in savvy, I believe Geno will have them as part of the rotation very soon. Jana and Sarah will also be on the court often because of their conspicuous physical and skills attributes, as well as their rich basketball smarts.

This season proved convincingly, around the country, that many freshmen come into the college game not only ready to play, but to excel. We'll have four youngsters who each have the potential to shine. Let's play them. It could be that any or all of them turn out to be better than what we have in KK and/or Ashlynn.

Injuries cost Paige her chance at being a four-year All-American. Perhaps one of our '24-25 frosh might join Maya as the Huskies' only four-year A-As?

Just one more point: all of you who have Azzi slotted in as a starter could be right, but I'm dubious she'll be as effective in the high-octane game Geno will want to play. Yes, she can pop in a few threes, but so can many others now on what should be a fun, entertaining, deep and darned good '24-25 Huskies team.

Bring on the next season, please...:cool:

Reaction Score
She’s too small to be a PF
Worked for Morgan Tuck. Worked for Pheesa. Maya is smaller and she played the 4 too. Those broad shoulders and strength combined with height make Strong a PF.... we already have plenty of good and great guards. We need to build back the front court.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think KK, Azzi, PB, Ayanna, and Jana is almost the perfect lineup. Feel like Ayanna and KK could be huge defensively and rebounding. Ayanna also will do a lot of the dirty work, screening to get players open, and getting second chance opportunities. Azzi and PB of course great shooting. Jana can shoot a little bit as well. PB faciltating. KK pushing the ball but also scoring. But similar to SC, if we are healthy I just think we have to give everyone minutes. Like Allie can spell Azzi if she's off. Ash can spell PB. Ice and Jana are interchangable. Of course Strong should get a lot of minutes. Obviously Uconn plays a totally different style of offense, but I'm hoping everyone gets minutes. SC went 9 deep. Uconn not going ten deep, would be a bit hard. But don't want to get side tracked. Minutes thread I'm sure is forthcoming. So KK, AzF, PB, AP, JA.
Please explain what Ayanna did in her freshman season that will earn her a starting position early next season? Besides that, she is coming off an injury that sidelined her for this entire season, which means catching up. How can she possibly start over Ice (among other worthy teammates)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom