2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Reaction Score

Maybe do like Stewie, take a reduction in pay, and join Stewie, JJ, Sloot, Stef, and Ionescu for one more championship run.
Wouldn't have to play major minutes, but could maximise her minutes, and Still one of the best clutch players in history.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Maybe do like Stewie, take a reduction in pay, and join Stewie, JJ, Sloot, Stef, and Ionescu for one more championship run.
Wouldn't have to play major minutes, but could maximise her minutes, and Still one of the best clutch players in history.
Would she thought? Wife, two kids in AZ (I think that's where they live?).

Reaction Score
https://www./features/las-vegas-ace...s+Vegas+Aces+for+circumventing+the+salary+cap

Just got this via The Next's email newsletter. This WNBA off-season definitely hasn't been boring.

Reaction Score
https://www./features/las-vegas-ace...s+Vegas+Aces+for+circumventing+the+salary+cap

Just got this via The Next's email newsletter. This WNBA off-season definitely hasn't been boring.

OOHHH Boy!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jordin Canada decides to stay put in Los Angeles, signing a training camp contract to do so.

"I think the theme of this free agency is about sacrificing to be a part of something special," Canada said. "I believe in the vision that is getting ready to take place. We definitely have something special happening in LA and I'm excited to stay home.''

Reaction Score
Jordin Canada decides to stay put in Los Angeles, signing a training camp contract to do so.

"I think the theme of this free agency is about sacrificing to be a part of something special," Canada said. "I believe in the vision that is getting ready to take place. We definitely have something special happening in LA and I'm excited to stay home.''

The Sparks have so many guards with Canada, J. Thomas, Carter, Brown & Clarendon. All who have played PG at some point in their career. Wonder who actually sticks on the roster & ends up starting.

Reaction Score
Not a FA deal but a possible trade of a former UConn player back to CT.

Makes sense for the Dream since Gray will start at the 2 next to Howard at the wing.

Hayes will bring much needed 3-pt shooting & experience to CT.

Reaction Score
The Sparks have so many guards with Canada, J. Thomas, Carter, Brown & Clarendon. All who have played PG at some point in their career. Wonder who actually sticks on the roster & ends up starting.
It is a lot of guards but can any of them shoot outside consistently? That to me is the bigger issue.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
hmmmm

Say what? Immediate thoughts:

• Who is going to Phoenix?
  • And what does that mean for restricted free agent Marina Mabrey? Is she the one being traded? (If so, you could have the all-intensity team with DT, Sophie Cunningham and Mabrey2 :D)
  • Or does Dallas want DeShields to fill in the Grey role? If people thought Grey-Arike-Mabrey was one too many, then you can only imagine how this will go over....

I've been wondering why the Mabrey (re)signing/resolution has been taking relatively long, now, perhaps, there might be some insight. (

Dillon77

Reaction Score

@Dillon77 This may be why.

Thanks. Interesting that James Wade, Chicago's car, now an assistant coach on the U.S.A. National Team, just spent the last three days with Mabrey, who was invited to the camp. Some last-minute research? At the very least, she and older sister Michaela, now an ND asst. coach, will only be 90 miles or so apart.

On top of that, she'll be reuniting with fellow Dallas Wing emigre Isabelle Harrison.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Here's a regular-type breakdown of that massive trade:

Chicago Sky receive:
  • Marina Mabrey (from Dallas in a sign-and-trade)
  • 2024 second-round pick (from Phoenix)
New York Liberty receive:
  • Rights to Leonie Fiebich (from Chicago)
  • 2024 second-round pick (from Chicago)
  • Rights to swap 2025 first-round picks (with Phoenix)
Phoenix Mercury receive:
  • Michaela Onyenwere (from New York)
  • 2024 third-round pick (from Chicago)
  • 2025 second-round pick (from Chicago)
Dallas Wings receive:
  • Diamond DeShields (from Phoenix)
  • 2023 first-round pick (from Chicago)
  • 2024 first-round pick (from Chicago)
  • Rights to swap 2025 first-round picks (with Chicago)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a regular-type breakdown of that massive trade:

Chicago Sky receive:
  • Marina Mabrey (from Dallas in a sign-and-trade)
  • 2024 second-round pick (from Phoenix)
New York Liberty receive:
  • Rights to Leonie Fiebich (from Chicago)
  • 2024 second-round pick (from Chicago)
  • Rights to swap 2025 first-round picks (with Phoenix)
Phoenix Mercury receive:
  • Michaela Onyenwere (from New York)
  • 2024 third-round pick (from Chicago)
  • 2025 second-round pick (from Chicago)
Dallas Wings receive:
  • Diamond DeShields (from Phoenix)
  • 2023 first-round pick (from Chicago)
  • 2024 first-round pick (from Chicago)
  • Rights to swap 2025 first-round picks (with Chicago)
I’m literally dumbstruck by this trade. Basically Phoenix gave away Deshields for a marginal player and late round picks, most of which haven’t found roster spots in sometime. That makes no sense at all.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Does it seem like Dallas did some fleecing?
One one hand, yes, but on the other hand, Dallas General Manager Greg Bibb never really distinguishes himself with his use of those draft picks.

Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Diamond DeShields as a lynchpin of a team. How many balls can she & Arike share?

Don't blame Chicago Coach and GM James Wade for wanting Marina Mabrey, but even I (with that Golden Dome shining in my eyes) have to wonder about sending two first-round picks. ;) Marina's good, but Chicago's needs are great.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Does it seem like Dallas did some fleecing?
Seems to me that Chicago certainly got fleeced. Five draft picks plus a very talented (and big) European player for Mabrey and a draft pick. Marina isn't a replacement for Sloot, and they gave up all hope of drafting a decent point guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom