2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 CT Ice Tournament (January 27th & 28th @Quinnipiac) Games will be on SNY & http://gobobcats.com (Out of market) Audio on 97.9 & Varsity Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There were plenty of seats available all over the arena for at least a month. I got 3 tickets for both days right behind UConn’s bench.

Just disappointed this team cannot get the next level win they need. The rest of the season UConn can only afford one more regular season loss for a chance at the tournament and it can only be to Boston College. They cannot lose to Alaska or New Hampshire.

Jake Flynn’s defense or lack there of really got exposed tonight. He was responsible for the UMass goal last week. Tonight his play in the defensive zone was terrible.

The defensemen need to start standing players up. Stop backing up and backing up towards your own goal. UConn needs to find at least two defensemen in the portal.

Justin Pearson has been a terrific transfer addition.

Sergeev bailed out Lucas with a tremendous save. He made some solid saves tonight. He has a lot of talent but he has to get better at catching the puck, controlling his rebounds and playing more in control. Too many times he gets way out of position. He is the future though.

Hopefully the new arena can add a few more next level recruits that the program needs to take the next step.

Reaction Score
There were plenty of seats available all over the arena for at least a month. I got 3 tickets for both days right behind UConn’s bench.

Just disappointed this team cannot get the next level win they need. The rest of the season UConn can only afford one more regular season loss for a chance at the tournament and it can only be to Boston College. They cannot lose to Alaska or New Hampshire.

Jake Flynn’s defense or lack there of really got exposed tonight. He was responsible for the UMass goal last week. Tonight his play in the defensive zone was terrible.

The defensemen need to start standing players up. Stop backing up and backing up towards your own goal. UConn needs to find at least two defensemen in the portal.

Justin Pearson has been a terrific transfer addition.

Sergeev bailed out Lucas with a tremendous save. He made some solid saves tonight. He has a lot of talent but he has to get better at catching the puck, controlling his rebounds and playing more in control. Too many times he gets way out of position. He is the future though.

Hopefully the new arena can add a few more next level recruits that the program needs to take the next step.
Astute analysis here. I thought starting Sergeev was the right move. There were a couple of goals he let un unscreened that could have been saved but the Huskies were in this game and played toe to toe with mighty QU in their barn with a great effort. Addition to a solid defensemen from the portal - I thought Gurley or a player like him was a good fit for the program on defense last year.

Pearson has really been terrific. he’s dynamic, a good skater, makes sharp cuts with the puck and has a great sense of the game, Total agreement there.

While there are very fast skaters on the Huskies, Tverberg and Bradley can really move, team speed seemed to lag behind QU at times.

Under Cavs each year this team has gotten better and better, and we see that this one is no exception. The lightning start of 9-1-1 (ironic, eh.) wasn’t a fluke so much, but our thought was that they were a great team, and instead they are a very good one that can still make some noise this season, but next year is maybe the one that takes them to the next level towards promised land.

The Huskies will need some luck with the Pairwise, even if they run the table. At minimum the goal should be to secure a home game for the HE playoffs - win and return to TD Garden and use last year’s experience - for the players that were there - to win the title and prepare for the NCAA’s.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
And, the QU announcers stated yesterday that this tournament was included as part of the QU season ticket package. I think that’s an advantage for QU.

It’s not QUs fault that UConn and SHU couldn’t get their act together and finish their rinks sooner. Or that Yale has stopped caring.

zls44

Reaction Score
I’m glad he started Arsenii. He’s not a comfortable watch, but his ceiling is so high. Compare the first 30 seconds vs Cornell and tonight. In both cases, UConn needed their goalie to bail out the team not being awake and a huge chance. Arsenii did. Logan didn’t.

They really need blue line help in the portal. I’d pay a million dollars for one LHD, but there’s not enough of them in the NHL so expecting to see many in college is probably a stretch. But them being so RHD heavy is a big reason why the PP stagnates as does zone play.

Reaction Score
There has always been a clear distinction between the type of forwards UConn can get, Wood, Salminen, Tverberg, versus their blue line recruiting.

Salminen’s goal was a next level shot.

Reaction Score
Disgusting loss, so tired of losing to Quinnipiac. 20 minutes away from what would have been a huge win.

How in the holy hell does Ryan Tverberg not get a shot on goal in this game?

Just can’t understand the idea of playing this torunament in small campus rinks. But whatever. People will go to their graves thinking playing games at the XL is synonymous with leprosy.

Reaction Score
How many people are showing up to a Sacred Heart v Yale final at XL?

How many people are showing up to a Quinnipiac v Sacred Heart final at XL?

What type of atmosphere would those games have?

The only large crowd would be a Quinnipiac v UConn final.

The tournament is brand new. Let the tournament grow momentum at these on campus rinks.

Reaction Score
How many people are showing up at the XL tonight if it’s UConn vs. Quinnipiac? I’m going with easy 6-7k as long as some QU fans travel 30 minutes.

If Yale and SHU are in the finals would their fans prefer Storrs over Hartford?

And by the way all the people constantly bitching about the size of the UConn rink have to be on board with playing this tourney at the XL I assume.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyway that’s secondary to the loss tonight. Tattle can not run into their goalie and give QU a PP goal. Self freaking awareness on the ice. He made our 3 on 2 turn into a disaster.
And Sergeev’s glove side was 10 acres wide on that last goal. A defenseman with three goals looked like Ray Bourque.
Frustrating as hell to lose that game.

I do respect Sergeev going with a Mike Liut helmet though.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It’s not QUs fault that UConn and SHU couldn’t get their act together and finish their rinks sooner. Or that Yale has stopped caring.

There is a BIG diff between hosting 1st, and hoarding tickets. Absolutely no reason they couldn't have given out allotments.

If anything, this will set precedent with each hosting school, from now on, which sucks (especially with the 2 smaller rinks). Having other teams fans there is what makes tournaments like this fun.

zls44

Reaction Score
There is a BIG diff between hosting 1st, and hoarding tickets. Absolutely no reason they couldn't have given out allotments.

If anything, this will set precedent with each hosting school, from now on, which sucks (especially with the 2 smaller rinks). Having other teams fans there is what makes tournaments like this fun.
They didn’t hoard them. There were a ton of UConn fans. Sacred Heart brought their band!

UConn didn’t promote it to the season ticket holders and made us go do it ourselves. That’s a UConn problem.

zls44

Reaction Score
Anyway that’s secondary to the loss tonight. Tattle can not run into their goalie and give QU a PP goal. Self freaking awareness on the ice. He made our 3 on 2 turn into a disaster.
And Sergeev’s glove side was 10 acres wide on that last goal. A defenseman with three goals looked like Ray Bourque.

Did Tattle get checked into him or just run him? Live I thought he got checked back into him but didn’t have a replay.

Reaction Score
They didn’t hoard them. There were a ton of UConn fans. Sacred Heart brought their band!

UConn didn’t promote it to the season ticket holders and made us go do it ourselves. That’s a UConn problem.
Correct. I did not get one word, not one, from UConn as a long-time season ticketholder.

Reaction Score
I called UConn and they told me to call Quinnipiac. Something was not right. Not sure who’s to blame.

Reaction Score

You know that Tattle play happened right in front of me. Homer call. He got pushed by the QU dman.

Couple of observations are that QU might be the fastest team I’ve seen this year. Sergeev made some fine saves but also let in one he should have had. Needs to greatly improve his technique.

Wood is one large human, but he is also slow. Liability against a fast team. He needs to grow into his body so to speak. I get he is just a kid.

It was a terrific college hockey game though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Disgusting loss, so tired of losing to Quinnipiac. 20 minutes away from what would have been a huge win.

How in the holy hell does Ryan Tverberg not get a shot on goal in this game?

Just can’t understand the idea of playing this torunament in small campus rinks. But whatever. People will go to their graves thinking playing games at the XL is synonymous with leprosy.
The XL should make a bid for the tournament. It is in the center of the state and equally accessible to everyone.

Of course if they charge the same $100,000 per game that they charge UConn it’s pretty unlikely anyone would take them up on it.

Reaction Score
You know that Tattle play happened right in front of me. Homer call. He got pushed by the QU dman.

Couple of observations are that QU might be the fastest team I’ve seen this year. Sergeev made some fine saves but also let in one he should have had. Needs to greatly improve his technique.

Wood is one large human, but he is also slow. Liability against a fast team. He needs to grow into his body so to speak. I get he is just a kid.

Tattle has some hustle for sure, but he8s erratic and a bit wild and out of control and doesn’t have as much skill as most D1 players. He’s a mucker who can have a role on the team, with his physical style, but also needs to increase his awareness.

Wood reminds me of Kondelik in his first season, except Wood is younger and has a higher upside. Kondelik had great hands and a great wrister too but was a super slow skater at first, but he was able to improve and skate faster in his later years.

Absolutely great game - one of the fastest and most intense Cawlidge Hawkey games I’ve seen. And the QU fans were classy. All good things to say about their barn and atmosphere, and a good number who came to support the #IceBus

Reaction Score
I tried to get tix for at least the last 2 weeks and had no luck. Then I took a last look at noon and 5 were listed in one section. I snatched the 2 together. If this is to become a real event, it’s fine being played on campus, In fact QU’s rink is the perfect size I think. I wouldn’t object to playing it there every year. But it can’t be a QU home game. Neutral to the extent it can be. Equal ticket distribution. No “YOUR QINNIPIAC BOBCATS” from the PA guy. And bring the freakin’ pep bands.

I have the sense that this years tournament was somewhat thrown together. Between losing the sponsor, no tv until the 11th hour, moved to QU. In the future I wouldn’t object to keeping it There or at Yale, but with some of those changes.

Reaction Score
I’m very excited about the trajectory of the UConn hockey program. Sure there will be bumps in the road, but the progress is very good. Coach Cav has done a tremendous job. Similar to Coach Hurley, the talent level is getting better and better. I love watching guys like Tverberg, Bradley, Percival, etc….but my main man is Wood. He’s already a great player and will continue to get better. Similar to guys like Pronger and Murzyn and Kluzak and others, he needs to grow into his body. He may look slow now, but he’ll continue to develop. His skill set is outstanding and of course, he uses his reach to his advantage. Stay patient. We’re good and will continue to get better as the program matures.

Reaction Score

Go look at the replay if you have ESPN+.
He wasn’t touched at all.

Reaction Score
When is Cav gonna win a big game?
Nobody has been tougher on Cav than me. But, I have to disagree with you. I think from the second half of last year to the present he has coached very well. We were ranked 7th in the Preseason HE poll and we should finish no lower than 4th. From beating BU in the 4-5 game last year and NE in the semis then losing in OT in the finals to UMass, we did win big games in that stretch. This year we went 1-0-1 vs #8 OSU, beat a very good BU team in OT, swept PC with 2 SO wins. From here to the end of the season, we need to sweep UNH, at least split with BC and (for sakes) somehow beat NE away.

If Cav can engineer that we should be in great shape for the HE tournament. Now, I am not happy it took 9 years, but we are on very good trajectory...

Reaction Score
I hadn’t seen the Cav interview before my XL rant. Good to see he and I are on the same wavelength that we are shortchanging this event by not having it at a large arena.

Perhaps things can be figured out when we negotiate what games are in the XL next year. This tourney needs some consistency for the fans. Same place, same weekend every year.

Reaction Score
Congrats to QU for winning the trophy. Congrats to the Huskies for going toe to toe with one of the best teams in the nation. It seemed to me that Q was a slightly better team. Older, a bit more experienced and very quick, very skilled too.
For all you guys bitchin’ about QU’s handling of the tournament think about a few things. They took on the task with very short notice. Nobody else did. Perhaps they couldn’t offer blocks of tickets to SHU, UC and Yale because they have season ticket holders scattered everywhere throughout the rink. Being fair to them is probably a priority. How much time and manpower would you be willing to divert from your athletic dept’s. regular tasks to take on this Ct Ice orphan? There are many more issues to think about but I think you get my drift.
Next year, with enough long term planning and cooperation from all 4 schools, this Ct Ice think could be reborn into something that will last, grow and prosper. It will never be the Beanpot, but it can be something special for Ct. hockey given time, hard work and commitment from everybody including the “braintrust” running the XL Center.
And another thing… for anybody who’s bitchin’ about Cav. Get a grip. HE finals last year, top tier of HE last year and this year, recruiting and signing some amazing young talent, Tverberg, Wood, Sergeev, Terness, Percival, Salminen, etc. I’d say that’s pretty impressive. So is Toscano by the way. Could you do that?
Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak