OT: - 2022 PGA Championship | The Boneyard

OT: 2022 PGA Championship

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So time to get this conversation started.

In the last 4 PGAs held at Southern Hills, the average winning score was 7 under par, but the course has been renovated in 2019 with fewer trees but more punitive greens and lengthened a tad. Bermuda rough will make hitting greens a challenge for errant tee shots.

Current odds have Scheffler as the favorite - no surprise - he's been in the zone this year. Spieth has been playing well and needs this to complete the slam, but he hasn't been exactly accurate off the tee. The winner of the tournament last week (K.H. Lee) is 210:1 which seems really high to me. Seems like a good value for a bet.

I'm gonna do some more thinking before any predictions.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
So time to get this conversation started.

In the last 4 PGAs held at Southern Hills, the average winning score was 7 under par, but the course has been renovated in 2019 with fewer trees but more punitive greens and lengthened a tad. Bermuda rough will make hitting greens a challenge for errant tee shots.

Current odds have Scheffler as the favorite - no surprise - he's been in the zone this year. Spieth has been playing well and needs this to complete the slam, but he hasn't been exactly accurate off the tee. The winner of the tournament last week (K.H. Lee) is 210:1 which seems really high to me. Seems like a good value for a bet.

I'm gonna do some more thinking bre any predictions.
i think it is really wide open

Scheffler - playing incredible this year. loves the course. but he can't win again, can he?
Rahm - Rahm is Rahm. He'll be in the running
Rory - seems confident. i'm not totally sold
Spieth - popular pick. i'm not seeing it
Morikawa - hasn't been great lately but i'm interested
Hovland - OSU alum. has played course a lot. will have support. will be a factor
Cam Smith - one of the steadier superstars out there. would not pick against him
Lowry - windy conditions will help
Justin - always seems to be close but with not a lot of breakthroughs
Cantley - where has he been?
Xander - always a favorite but rarely a winner

but i do think the winner will be from this group

Dark Horses: Niemann, Matsuyama, Power,, Gooch (another OSU'er)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
fwiw, Hovland lives in Stillwater and has played SH several times since the renovations. Probably knows the current course better than anyone in field.

His name was one that came to mind when I was scrolling through the odds.

I'm not jumping on Spieth completing career GS this week

Sungjae Im is someone I'll he watching.

Reaction Score
Sungjae Im is someone I'll he watching.
You’ll have to be at his house to watch him. He withdrew….Covid

Xander played well on the weekend after barely making the cut

Like the odds on Homa…won last week

Spieth still hasn’t gotten his putter dialed in

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You’ll have to be at his house to watch him. He withdrew….Covid

Xander played well on the weekend after barely making the cut

Like the odds on Homa…won last week

Spieth still hasn’t gotten his putter dialed in

Well, darn.

Still looking at ball strikers. S already mentioned Matsuyama and Cam Smith should do well.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Some interesting threesomes for the first 2 days:
Spieth, Rory, Tiger
Hideki, Xander, Finau
Lowry, Koepka, Scott
Dustin, Cantlay, Thomas
Rahm, Morikawa, Scheffler

Reaction Score
Some interesting threesomes for the first 2 days:
Spieth, Rory, Tiger
Hideki, Xander, Finau
Lowry, Koepka, Scott
Dustin, Cantlay, Thomas
Rahm, Morikawa, Scheffler

Spieth and Rory have announced that, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, they will speed walk the entire 18 holes for the first and second rounds.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Absence of Mickelson: an 'imo' follows....any other wisdom?

There is no way Mickelson would not be here defending his championship unless:

He is on a de facto suspension from the tour due to his Saudi remarks. The PGA does not announce suspensions unless the player fails to agree to a certain time off from the tour and he can try to avoid the topic by saying his absence
is due to 'personal reasons'. He hasn't played an event in several months...I think he just agreed to stay away and accept his 'suspension'.

Bailing out of defending a major championship...voluntarily? No way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From what I have read and heard they have turned Southern Hills in to a mini Augusta minus the slick greens.

Since Tiger won there in 2007 they have removed trees, lowered the rough and shaved off areas around the greens (Almost like a Pinehurst with the fall away areas). I was listening yesterday and they were saying with the severe slopes on the greens they will run around 10-11 on stimpmeter. Real slow compared to most majors and probably slower than most regular tournaments.

Long course which doesn't penalize wayward drives with 4" rough. Not as tough of a walk as Augusta. A second shot course where distance and spin control to land the ball on the green and stop the ball on the green is a premium. Not a lot of spinach to chop out of around the green. Lots of creativity to be had- putts, hybrids, lofted wedges, whatever the player wants to do with it. Greens which are undulating but not severe in speed.

I hate to say it and I've avoided this for the past 5-6 years but damnit, it looks like Tiger could do real well here. Heard parts of his press conference from yesterday. Said he took one day off after the Master's to recover and then went straight in to prepping for this tourney. He was definitely weaker on the weekend at Augusta than he was on the first day but he made it. Another 5 weeks of recovery and he should be stronger. He played well overall except for the Saturday putting and with the green speeds at Southern Hills he isn't going to be rolling the ball 10' past the hole. Three putts will be minimal. He won't have to wrench his back hitting out of rough after wayward drives. Course may get crispy allowing some bump and runs and stingers on approach shots to the green.

Also heard that the PGA Champ is almost always someone in the Top 20 of World Golf Rankings so I'll go with Tiger (Outside top 20), Cam Smith and Hideki.

Reaction Score
Absence of Mickelson: an 'imo' follows....any other wisdom?

There is no way Mickelson would not be here defending his championship unless:

He is on a de facto suspension from the tour due to his Saudi remarks. The PGA does not announce suspensions unless the player fails to agree to a certain time off from the tour and he can try to avoid the topic by saying his absence
is due to 'personal reasons'. He hasn't played an event in several months...I think he just agreed to stay away and accept his 'suspension'.

Bailing out of defending a major championship...voluntarily? No way.
Phil is NOT on secret double probation. He is laying low to let things cool down like Michael Corleone spending a year in Sicily.

One complicating issue MAY be that he has already taken money or made agreements with the SA tour group. Who knows what that may entail.....not me.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
From what I have read and heard they have turned Southern Hills in to a mini Augusta minus the slick greens.

Since Tiger won there in 2007 they have removed trees, lowered the rough and shaved off areas around the greens (Almost like a Pinehurst with the fall away areas). I was listening yesterday and they were saying with the severe slopes on the greens they will run around 10-11 on stimpmeter. Real slow compared to most majors and probably slower than most regular tournaments.

Long course which doesn't penalize wayward drives with 4" rough. Not as tough of a walk as Augusta. A second shot course where distance and spin control to land the ball on the green and stop the ball on the green is a premium. Not a lot of spinach to chop out of around the green. Lots of creativity to be had- putts, hybrids, lofted wedges, whatever the player wants to do with it. Greens which are undulating but not severe in speed.

I hate to say it and I've avoided this for the past 5-6 years but damnit, it looks like Tiger could do real well here. Heard parts of his press conference from yesterday. Said he took one day off after the Master's to recover and then went straight in to prepping for this tourney. He was definitely weaker on the weekend at Augusta than he was on the first day but he made it. Another 5 weeks of recovery and he should be stronger. He played well overall except for the Saturday putting and with the green speeds at Southern Hills he isn't going to be rolling the ball 10' past the hole. Three putts will be minimal. He won't have to wrench his back hitting out of rough after wayward drives. Course may get crispy allowing some bump and runs and stingers on approach shots to the green.

Also heard that the PGA Champ is almost always someone in the Top 20 of World Golf Rankings so I'll go with Tiger (Outside top 20), Cam Smith and Hideki.
i thought Tiger hit it real well at the Masters but shocked at how awful his putting was.
he does look/sound excited about his chances this week .... but i just don't think he'll be there in the end. hope i am wrong.

any word on Bryson?

Reaction Score
Bryson WD

Rahm isn’t chipping and putting as well as he did last year. Taking Spieth in my one and done

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah - nobody stands out like Scheffler did going into the Masters.

I would go with Spieth if he was hitting the ball straighter off the tee.

I'm going on a limb and taking Xander.

Reaction Score
Xander -26 in his last 49 holes last weekend can he ride that into Southern Hills. Homa has been good will be in it.

Looking at Rory to make a run he seems more relaxed. Don’t forget DJ.

Reaction Score
Scheffler primed for a big weekend - the Hovland information is very interesting as well..

I like Homa a lot more after Bryson withdrew, his antics can ruin a round for his group.

Xander is very strong, I like Rory as well.

Hoping for a great weekend!

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
initial thoughts;

course is not very interesting

Rory is going to win

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics