2022 Grilling Season | The Boneyard

2022 Grilling Season

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you're in a warm clime and have been grilling all year, we don't need to hear it :p

It's been over 60 a couple of times here in Pgh, but rainy. Today it hit 72 and weather was great, so fired up grill for first time in 2022.

Bought some asparagus on sale ($1.99/lb!) and a sirloin flap from a local farm. I'd never done sirloin flap. Looser grain than flank or skirt, but basically cooks the same and adopts marinade as well. As I bought it this morning, marinade time was only about 8 hours till cooking. Used a rosemary/shallot/garlic marinade. The flap was 1"-plus on one side and 1/2"-3/4" on other, so I cut it in two and did the thinner piece on a cooler part of the grill. I think perhaps due to the looser grain, the flap takes well to less than medium rare w/o being tough. Came out beautifully. Served with brown cilantro rice.

I want to try grilling some new things this year. Octopus is top of the list. Never grilled that before. Also need to improve my fish grilling skills as I'd like to add more salmon to the rotation. Maybe even take on some offal, although that's hard to find here except at an indy butcher. As I get older, I'm finding a large steak is simply boring to eat as are a lot of BBQ standards. I'm just over ribs at this point and getting to that point with brisket as well.

What are you planning to make this year on the grill that's out of the ordinary chicken/ribs/steak?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love the flap steak. Also love grilled asparagus, but don't really like it done any other way.

If you don't already have the copper grill sheets, I highly recommend them for things like asparagus (to keep the spears from falling through the grates) and more delicate things like fish.

After having grilled Caesar salad a few times over the past few years I started grilling the Romaine myself at home during the summers and plan to continue that. Adds a very nice flavor.

Pork chops are another one I want to do more. I seem to be the only one enthused about them though; I think we are all still scarred from the thin, rubbery things we used be served as kids. The ones I get now are like an entirely different food. Thick, moist and very tasty.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love the flap steak. Also love grilled asparagus, but don't really like it done any other way.

If you don't already have the copper grill sheets, I highly recommend them for things like asparagus (to keep the spears from falling through the grates) and more delicate things like fish.

After having grilled Caesar salad a few times over the past few years I started grilling the Romaine myself at home during the summers and plan to continue that. Adds a very nice flavor.

Pork chops are another one I want to do more. I seem to be the only one enthused about them though; I think we are all still scarred from the thin, rubbery things we used be served as kids. The ones I get now are like an entirely different food. Thick, moist and very tasty.
The copper grill sheet is on my birthday list (April). I have a grate for veggies but it takes up 60% of the grill space. Doesn't work well for fish, which sticks to it even if I oil it. I've grilled radicchio which is nice, but never romaine - nor ever had a grilled Caesar, so that's a solid suggestion.

FWIW, also bought a couple of local pork chops yesterday at WF, on sale for $3.59/lb. Was going to do them tonight. About 1.25" thick, bone-in, about 2/3 lb each.

As far as those thin things go, I pound the crap out of 'em and use 'em as a sub for scallopini, which works great.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
good timing.
this year, march 5th, for those of us dirt digger types who live in tune with the lunar calendar, was the date for the annual 'Awakening of the Insects' phenomena. time to plow if the rains are manageable.
tasty things to grill?
turkey, duck, lamb.
slabs o' fish, shellfish, shell steaks.
mushrooms, peppers, eggplant.
goose on a spit, deer, too.

and since we haven't had an opportunity in years,
duke, carolina, kentucky, and such - roast 'em!
can't cook the cuse this year, they're already toast.

ps. i had my first mosquito bite over two weeks ago. it amazes me that some animals are always in a rush to get out of bed. dopes.

Reaction Score
I grill my guacamole. I get a char on the red onion, garlic, avocado, limes and a tomato. Charring them brings out another level of flavor for me when you combine it all together. Definitely worth a try if you haven't done it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The copper grill sheet is on my birthday list (April). I have a grate for veggies but it takes up 60% of the grill space. Doesn't work well for fish, which sticks to it even if I oil it. I've grilled radicchio which is nice, but never romaine - nor ever had a grilled Caesar, so that's a solid suggestion.

FWIW, also bought a couple of local pork chops yesterday at WF, on sale for $3.59/lb. Was going to do them tonight. About 1.25" thick, bone-in, about 2/3 lb each.

As far as those thin things go, I pound the crap out of 'em and use 'em as a sub for scallopini, which works great.
Copper grill sheets are a must have for both fish and Asparagus. While you can wait until your birthday, they are about $5 at the big lots or whatever and not much more on Amazon. It's not a splurge item. I also use them for grilling wings (cook first then crisp up on the grill).

I've grilled once this winter. My wife started using a cast iron pan on our new induction stove, so we've done steaks in that. Comes out pretty good. But like you, grilling season is almost here now. I'm not sure I'll do much differently. Fish is great outside just from a smell perspective. We do salmon fairly often (without pimento wood).

Reaction Score
I use the adjustable replacement grates, it's a tighter weave, allows to put items directly on the grill surface like asparagus. Softer fish like flounder no but works for the firmer fish like tuna or sword. Grill just about all the vegetables and many fruits. Love grilled sweet potatoes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is no off-season for the grill. We've been doing steak tips nearly every Friday since COVID restrictions first started nearly two years, and unless there is a driving downpour or the wind is gale force, I've use the grill.

For the smoker, on the other hand, I need the wind/breeze under 10 mph at the most and prefer temperatures above freezing, ideally above 40.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There is no off-season for the grill. We've been doing steak tips nearly every Friday since COVID restrictions first started nearly two years, and unless there is a driving downpour or the wind is gale force, I've use the grill.

For the smoker, on the other hand, I need the wind/breeze under 10 mph at the most and prefer temperatures above freezing, ideally above 40.
You're a better man than I. I have to walk about 100 ft to my grill which is on a stone patio. We don't have a deck. I had a probe that worked with an app... for about 3 weeks before it went kaput. So stepping outside more than once in freezing cold to check temps is just something my old bones won't tolerate any longer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Same here, both for the "no off-season" and steak tips being in regular rotation.

My wife seems to relish deciding she'd like something grilled on the nights when we have particularly inclement or bitter weather. The only times I refuse are those you mention, or if it's below 10 degrees out because then you're really battling to keep the internal temps up, especially if you need to open the grill at all while cooking.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Your words. Not mine. ;)
Well, since you're going there, with me it's also philosophical as well as not seeing a need to have anything grilled outside when it's cold.

I've been a member of Slow Food for years and have tried to increase my "eating local" each year for the past decade or so. I'm cutting red meat consumption each year (sometimes just a couple meals a month), and what I do buy is more and more local. I'm not perfect (thus asparagus before spring), and I doubt I'll ever go full veggie (and certainly not vegan) but I really want to avoid industrial farms whether for plants or protein. It's pretty easy here as we have a lot of high-quality local beef, pork and lamb. A bit less so for poultry. And being inland fish pickings are dodgy as far as sustainable sources. But I find it's worth the effort and even the expense to try.

In winter, I love stews and braises (might've made my best stew ever last week) and heavier ethnic casseroles. I get a kick out of making lesser cuts mouthwatering and delicious. Unless my wife is in the mood to cook (rare) and needs a steak, it's likely I won't have one from Thanksgiving to Easter (unless there's a sale and a warm day). She's a master at the indoor grill pan for that if cooking inside.

Another complaint, as I do shopping as one of my gigs in my semi-retirement -- it drives me crazy that Whole Foods customers in Pittsburgh think it's appropriate to have fresh watermelon, pineapple, mangoes, or other out-of-season produce in January. They're supposed to know about carbon footprints and all that. They're no better for the environment than Wal-Mart shoppers (although I'd guess the latter release far more methane).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Love grilled chops. We also enjoy pork shoulder steaks on the grill.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well, since you're going there, with me it's also philosophical as well as not seeing a need to have anything grilled outside when it's cold.

I've been a member of Slow Food for years and have tried to increase my "eating local" each year for the past decade or so. I'm cutting red meat consumption each year (sometimes just a couple meals a month), and what I do buy is more and more local. I'm not perfect (thus asparagus before spring), and I doubt I'll ever go full veggie (and certainly not vegan) but I really want to avoid industrial farms whether for plants or protein. It's pretty easy here as we have a lot of high-quality local beef, pork and lamb. A bit less so for poultry. And being inland fish pickings are dodgy as far as sustainable sources. But I find it's worth the effort and even the expense to try.

In winter, I love stews and braises (might've made my best stew ever last week) and heavier ethnic casseroles. I get a kick out of making lesser cuts mouthwatering and delicious. Unless my wife is in the mood to cook (rare) and needs a steak, it's likely I won't have one from Thanksgiving to Easter (unless there's a sale and a warm day). She's a master at the indoor grill pan for that if cooking inside.

Another complaint, as I do shopping as one of my gigs in my semi-retirement -- it drives me crazy that Whole Foods customers in Pittsburgh think it's appropriate to have fresh watermelon, pineapple, mangoes, or other out-of-season produce in January. They're supposed to know about carbon footprints and all that. They're no better for the environment than Wal-Mart shoppers (although I'd guess the latter release far more methane).
Whole Foods isn't really any different than any other supermarket in my area. They all have just as much organic stuff, and in most cases more local stuff than Whole Foods does. Trader Joes is the same. Both are national chains, so are less local than the regional chains from what I can see. My Stop & Shop has local hydroponic lettuces, locally made BBQ sauce, local tortilla chips etc. Starting to see more local protein as well.

In Vermont it was easy. The local market in town (only option) always had fresh local greens, vegetables and local meats and of course cheese. Everything was expensive, but they really do focus on local sourcing of things. We have a new market in my town that is trying to do that, but the shelves are maybe half stocked. Local beef and pork, local greens and vegetables (few right now) and other local products like hot sauces from around New England. I'm hoping it survives and is able to fill its shelves.

We have quite a few farms near me, and so access to local produce is pretty good in the summer and fall.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just ordered some replacement flavorizer bars for the weber. One is disintegrating another is deteriorated but not as bad. The original material that came with the unit has lasted about 7 years. So I can't complain about replacing them.

Currently five hours into a port roast smoke. It's almost time to wrap it. Should be done in about three hours.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What are you planning to make this year on the grill that's out of the ordinary chicken/ribs/steak?
Belated happy bday

I treated myself to a hefty order of various cuts of Iberico last week. Im obsessed. Did two wholly different meals already and have enough left for a couple more. Incredible stuff.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Belated happy bday

I treated myself to a hefty order of various cuts of Iberico last week. Im obsessed. Did two wholly different meals already and have enough left for a couple more. Incredible stuff.
I trust you have been to Olea? Their Jamon Iberico is amazing. Better than the best prosciutto I've ever had.

August_West

Reaction Score
I trust you have been to Olea? Their Jamon Iberico is amazing. Better than the best prosciutto I've ever had.

Yes, and Ive had Jamon elsewhere a couple times. It is fantastic, but this is my first foray into different fresh cuts of Iberico. I did the Secreto portion of my order on the grill Sunday. Its amazing. Its like eating A5 Wagyu.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, and Ive had Jamon elsewhere a couple times. It is fantastic, but this is my first foray into different fresh cuts of Iberico. I did the Secreto portion of my order on the grill Sunday. Its amazing. Its like eating A5 Wagyu.
I've never even seen it that can be grilled.

August_West

Reaction Score
I've never even seen it that can be grilled.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Out of my price range, but never considered Iberico for anything but a prosciutto alternative. That thing looks like a skirt steak.

August_West

Reaction Score
Out of my price range, but never considered Iberico for anything but a prosciutto alternative. That thing looks like a skirt steak.
Not an everyday or even every month thing. But you asked for different because I have the same blahs these days about much you mentioned . You can afford to do it once this season. And you should.

The description on that site is perfect ( not where I purchased from though) the secreto is a cross between a skirt and a rib-eye cap.

And like eating A5 even big eaters like us can’t finish even 8-10 Oz because marbling is so rich.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom