2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not watching the game, but Lou's stat line gives me the impression that she is reverting to her freshman year, not being active and just hanging out on the wing waiting to shoot 3 and not being involved in the offense. Again could be a totally wrong impression but she does not seem to be doing much of anything, stat-wise.
I'm watching .... pretty much a wrong impression.

Reaction Score
Parker needs to be told that defense is part of the game. All in all I am bored watching mediocre ball handlers on both teams try and fail.

Just finished watching Kemba Walker in 2011. There are way too many WNBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for.

Reaction Score
I'm watching .... pretty much a wrong impression.

That's good to know and I am happy to be wrong. Stat can certainly be misleading, but stat-wise, it does not seem like Lou is doing much.

Reaction Score
That's good to know and I am happy to be wrong. Stat can certainly be misleading, but stat-wise, it does not seem like Lou is doing much.
my impression is this team is really badly coached. if he wasn't also the GM I would say Wade won't last the year. They are playing that crappy SEC ball ... dribble and bang it to the hoop.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm watching the game also. Lou is not really involved in the offense, but I suspect that is consistent with what the coaches are asking her to do.

What I notice more clearly is that she is having big problems on defense, which is probably why her minutes are being limited. A lot of people (not just EDD) can get past her on the dribble, and she is not close enough to 3-point shooters. She also doesn't have enough separation on her own 3-point shots.

All of this is correctable with experience. Meanwhile, her defense is no worse than anyone else on the Sky.

Reaction Score
my impression is this team is really badly coached. if he wasn't also the GM I would say Wade won't last the year. They are playing that crappy SEC ball ... dribble and bang it to the hoop.

I could swear that someone here told me that coach Wade knows how to coach the pros, know how to win, is a winner, etc... maybe even better than coach GA :confused:

Reaction Score
I'm watching the game also. Lou is not really involved in the offense, but I suspect that is consistent with what the coaches are asking her to do.

What I notice more clearly is that she is having big problems on defense, which is probably why her minutes are being limited. A lot of people (not just EDD) can get past her on the dribble, and she is not close enough to 3-point shooters. She also doesn't have enough separation on her own 3-point shots.

All of this is correctable with experience. Meanwhile, her defense is no worse than anyone else on the Sky.
I hesitate to agree with you because the whole team is playing pretty much the same defense. These players do not know their roles and do not communicate. It's a free for all.

Reaction Score

That’s to be expected though the defense, she herself has said that is her weakspot, and she needs to get better, but truth be told she’s probably better defensely then some of her teammates who are veterans, and the offense like the other person mentioned, I think that’s more on the coach and what he is running

Reaction Score
I could swear that someone here told me that coach Wade knows how to coach the pros, know how to win, is a winner, etc... maybe even better than coach GA :confused:
wasn't me ... I hadn't heard of the guy until April 10th.

Reaction Score
wasn't me ... I hadn't heard of the guy until April 10th.

I know it was not you

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that they went to a small in themfirst half, and Lou was playing the 5, at least on defense.

I agree with the prevailing sentiment that the Sky are a mess. I expected the crappy defense, but no flow on offense with the players they have is unconscionable.

Reaction Score
Lou seems to be passing on some of the few open shots.

Reaction Score
I thought that Sky played better, which is not saying a lot, when Lou was on the floor but it doesn't look like plays are being called on the floor with her as an intended shooter. She passed on one wide open shot, delaying until defender had time to recover. Sky needs to use this season to build a future.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I expected the crappy defense, but no flow on offense with the players they have is unconscionable.

They shot 50% from the field and scored 85 points. Not sure how that translates to "no flow".

The problem I am seeing on offense is reckless passes leading to too many turnovers. Some of that falls on Vandersloot. That has always been part of her game. Lots of assists and a fair amount of turnovers. She had 4 turnovers last night but 8 assists to still maintain a 2:1 A/TO ratio.

What Chicago can't have is the turnovers by the frontcourt. 9 combined turnovers by Parker, Lavender and Dolson is way too much.

When Chicago doesn't just throw the ball away, the offense has been pretty good the last couple of games. 83 last game. 85 tonight. Those are point totals that can win games. *if* you play some semblance of defense.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

You could just @ me, you know. It is a fact that he has won WNBA and Euroleague championships as an assistant.

It remains to be seen whether he will be a a good head coach. The proven WNBA coaches (Reeve, Brondello, Laimbeer, Hughes, Agler, Thibault) are all employed elsewhere. He has about as good of a resume as possible for a 1st time head coach.

Trust me, Amber Stocks was no better. Maybe Chicago never should have got rid of Pokey Chatman but she's average at best.

We're only three games into the season. I don't think there's a coach in the world that could turn Chicago's personnel into a good defense. I'm hoping for a progression to "not embarrassing" by midseason. We'll see.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Parker needs to be told that defense is part of the game. All in all I am bored watching mediocre ball handlers on both teams try and fail. Just finished watching Kemba Walker in 2011. There are way too many WNBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for.
So not as good a product as the NBA? This is not what their union touting. ;):rolleyes:
There are way too many WNBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for.
The scary thing is they supposed to be the best in the world. :confused::(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So not as good a product as the NBA? This is not what their union touting. ;):rolleyes:
There are way too many WNBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for.

Believe me, there are plenty of NBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for, too.

Reaction Score

IMHO the WNBA is little more than an exhibition league. The season is short. The preseason is shorter and the off-season is non-existent since the players have to earn a living elsewhere. So instead of nice team play we get to watch players put on individual displays of athleticism. Far too many WNBA players remind me of kids in a playground trying to duplicate the moves of NBA stars. They get the spins and crossovers but they never make the shot, and isn't that the point?

Reaction Score
Believe me, there are plenty of NBA players trying to do things they don't have the skills for, too.

I don't watch the NBA for that reason. But don't blame the players. ESPN wants 5 second highlights and so players have learned that the $$$ comes from being able to get on Sports Center and to do that you have to perfect the "drive & dunk", the NBA equivalent of the home run (in the eyes of ESPN).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IMHO the WNBA is little more than an exhibition league. The season is short. The preseason is shorter and the off-season is non-existent since the players have to earn a living elsewhere. So instead of nice team play we get to watch players put on individual displays of athleticism. Far too many WNBA players remind me of kids in a playground trying to duplicate the moves of NBA stars. They get the spins and crossovers but they never make the shot, and isn't that the point?

I mean, both teams shot 50% last night. There were a lot of made shots. I could easily find you video clips of both teams making the extra pass to find the open shooter, too.

Reaction Score
I thought that Sky played better, which is not saying a lot, when Lou was on the floor but it doesn't look like plays are being called on the floor with her as an intended shooter. She passed on one wide open shot, delaying until defender had time to recover. Sky needs to use this season to build a future.

I do agree, I said while watching the game, the ball look like it moves more when Lou was on the floor

Reaction Score
I mean, both teams shot 50% last night. There were a lot of made shots. I could easily find you video clips of both teams making the extra pass to find the open shooter, too.

That's the problem, the game has devolved into a series of "clips" that sell shampoo and $400.00 shoes.

I admit I don't watch but far too often when I switched to a game it was commen to see 8 or 10 consecutive possessions by both teams that result in zero baskets but some great displays of "tricky dribbling" (thanks Johnny Most), turnovers, and players that look like they are playing faster than their talent allows and the result is way too many TO's. I see the same thing watching women at all levels, it seems they spend all their time practicing one-on-one offensive moves. Reminds me of golfers with fantastic-looking swings but whose shots go everywhere.

I sound like an old man complaining about the young but I got sick of watching 6'3" KLS blow layups with no one withing 10 feet of her or having her layups blocked by a 5'10" player simply because she used both arms to shoot them instead of learning to use the off arm to shield her shot. How can a AA and 1st round pro not learn the fundamentals of shooting layups? She's probably had pro coaching since she was 10.
My opinion of the womens' pro game goes back to the 90's and it hasn't changed, the focus has benn on trying to emulate the men and coming up short. Every time some 16 year old rolls the ball over the rim the media frenzy is immediate. That's a big clue as to what is wrong with the womens' game. 95% of the effort is in monetizing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom