2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
Jones played exclusively at the 5 for Oregon State this past season. If she can hone her skills to play at the 4, you might see a lineup with the 6'4" Jones and either 6'9" Mitrovic or 6'7" Morris on the court together. With all of the height the Beavers have recruited to Corvallis the past three years it would be nice for two or more to be on the court at the same time next year. Speculation in Corvallis is that 6'6" sophomore-to-be Kennedy Brown will redshirt during the '20-'21 season after having surgery in March to repair a torn ACL.
Taya Corosdale was granted a redshirt and will likely start at one of the forward positions for OSU. This gives her 2 more years to play for them.
osubeavers.com/news/2020/5/1/womens-basketball-corosdale-granted-redshirt-season.aspx
The starting front court lineup that we might actually see for the Beavers will be 6'3" Corosdale, 6'4" Taylor Jones, and 6'3" transfer Ellie Mack. That will be a potent and prolific trio. Expect Morris and Mitrovic to play backup or start when the opposition has a big (extra BIG) post.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Taya Corosdale was granted a redshirt and will likely start at one of the forward positions for OSU. This gives her 2 more years to play for them.
osubeavers.com/news/2020/5/1/womens-basketball-corosdale-granted-redshirt-season.aspx
The starting front court lineup that we might actually see for the Beavers will be 6'3" Corosdale, 6'4" Taylor Jones, and 6'3" transfer Ellie Mack. That will be a potent and prolific trio. Expect Morris and Mitrovic to play backup or start when the opposition has a big post.

I have a hoops-playing friend who lives in that neck of Pa. that says Ellie Mack was the Patriot League's Bella Alarie, "a tinge shorter, but with better range." I guess the key is seeing if that can translate to a P5 level. If so -- and with Corosdale's return -- you could have a very solid frontcourt in Beaverland. (I assume Kennedy Brown will still be rehabbing her knee).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, Oregon has South Carolina, Baylor, Stanford, UCLA, and Arizona on their hypothetical schedule. Whew. That’s going to be a fun ride. That’s potentially five top 10 teams right there.

Reaction Score
The starting front court lineup that we might actually see for the Beavers will be 6'3" Corosdale, 6'4" Taylor Jones, and 6'3" transfer Ellie Mack. That will be a potent and prolific trio. Expect Morris and Mitrovic to play backup or start when the opposition has a big (extra BIG) post.
I really can't see either Morris or Mitrovic ever starting in front of Jones, Corosdale, or Mack unless one of those probable starting three is injured. Jones is 6'4" and has a very long reach for a woman of her height. Both Morris and Mitrovic are space-eaters who should be able to give some fouls, spell Jones when she is in foul trouble at the 5, and bang on the block to take attention away from the perimeter. The lateral mobility of Mack, Corosdale, and Jones is far more advanced than either Morris or Mitrovic. If either Morris and/or Mitrovic can provide a consistent 10-12 minutes off the bench, Beaver Nation will be thrilled.

Reaction Score
So, Oregon has South Carolina, Baylor, Stanford, UCLA, and Arizona on their hypothetical schedule. Whew. That’s going to be a fun ride. That’s potentially five top 10 teams right there.

Good schedule.

Oregon and South Carolina are in the same tournament in the islands but I wonder if this means they won't be scheduled to play down there.

Reaction Score
Good stuff.

Lol I love it. Dawn will play anyone, anywhere, and anytime and that’s great for WCBB. I hope other coaches follow suit and line up their teams they consistently brag about and see what they’re made of. Dawn wants to test her team and no other way to send them across to country to play in a hostile environment to open the season. We’ll also get a chance to see 6’5” Aliyah Boston versus 6’7” Sedona Prince. That’s what I’ll be looking forward too.

Seems we’ll have another tough schedule next year with Oregon possibly twice, Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, @ Iowa St, vs Maryland, @South Dakota, @ UConn , and a couple more likely top 25 matchups. I think we should take Duke off the schedule and replace them with NC St or UNC. Would love to play them both. Also wouldn’t mind playing Vic Schafer in a home and home. Just because he moved to the big 12 doesn’t mean the rivalry has to die out does it?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A nice raise for Vic’s assistants:

Glad to hear they're cleaning up well. Harris is making more than she would as a head coach at a lot of mid majors.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Coach Harper on a podcast.

Reaction Score
Stanford had their banquet tonight, rumblings that next season will include games against South Carolina, Gonzaga (Tournament), Texas, and Tennessee. Seems to be a solid schedule, if it happens. Might not be able to schedule anything against California State Universities as they are not on campus this fall. It’s going to be an interesting ride.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Per Raoul, ND just posted this job description for Associate Head Coach. Those familiar with the corporate dance might point out that this means there is probably someone (already) in line for the post.

When Niele left for the Memphis Grizzlies, all three of Muffet's assistants were "Associate Head Coaches": Niele, Beth Morgan Cunningham and Carol Owens. When Niele left, Michaela Mabrey was hired (but as an assistant coach) an Cunningham was assigned to coordinate recruiting.

The posting is for one position (only). So the questions:
- Will Niele go back to the prior model and have three associate head coaches or (more likely, IMO)
- Bring in a new associate head coach?

While recruiting is mentioned twice, I'm guessing this person will just be part of an overall approach which will rely heavily on Ivey herself. Afer all, she's the new face of the ND basketball program and it's imperative for her to be the key component as she is now in the top spot. (Plus, she started the recruiting of most of the 2020, 2021 and, probably, 2022 prospects anyways.)

ND has had remarkable stability at the assistant positions the last decade so this is of big interest to those on The Bench. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So what am I missing here? Isn't the first question: IS anyone leaving or being replaced? Or is Mabry getting a bump up in title? Usually when a person is being promoted within, there is no "job opening". To me, one of Cunningham, Owens or Mabry is leaving. Any thoughts on clarity from our ND faithful- @Dillon77 or @Orangutan ?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So what am I missing here? Isn't the first question: IS anyone leaving or being replaced? Or is Mabry getting a bump up in title? Usually when a person is being promoted within, there is no "job opening". To me, one of Cunningham, Owens or Mabry is leaving. Any thoughts on clarity from our ND faithful- @Dillon77 or @Orangutan ?

Most likely Cunningham or Owens is leaving. Educated guess via the Bench is Cunningham.

Not impossible that Mabrey is leaving to make way for a more senior assistant but lateral move seems more likely. Especially during a pandemic when many programs are cost-cutting. Getting rid of Mabrey to hire someone more expensive doesn't make sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom