2018 UConn Commit #24 - Dante Black (Snellville Georgia) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 UConn Commit #24 - Dante Black (Snellville Georgia)

Reaction Score
Like this kids tape.
Can catch it too.

Has a nose for the end zone as well, and knows how to hit a hole - very impressive. I'm surprised he didn't have more offers from higher caliber schools, kind of doesn't make sense - anyway it works for us.

Reaction Score
receiver Heron Maurisseau-O’Neal is fast.
I concur.
Again, these guys will come in green and hungry. There will be lumps to take. However, they will all be coached technique and fundamentals by some of the best. Not to mention I assume they will all be super dedicated to the weight room as the accountability that RE demands is perfect for these type of kids.
I always project out a few years.
These guys will begin to change the face of the program.
The team will be more competitive as the returnees will either be pushed to play better or spots will be take. More games will be won. Better recruits will take notice and we’ll start getting more talent.
It’s a process.
It has begun.

Reaction Score
How about Steven Gilmore? Great bloodlines 3-star, and oh yeah we desperately need a stud DB.
We already have plenty DB’s in the crop. We need an edge rusher and two beefy lineman
Oh, and Jalen Rayam would be great!

Reaction Score
Hopkins is an awesome goal line back when healthy. He had 7 TDs last year and was injured for most of the season!

Hopkins looked like he took a couple of good licks early in the year and either never fully recovered or got hurt again. A healthy Hopkins, Mensah and a couple of new contributors like Dante would be great to spot in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn would never nor should they not accept a Stephen Gilmore as he is a special talent with a number of offers from BCS schools

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He has about 25 lbs on Todman. 5'11" 205 is a great size for an incoming back.

Give him a Shermanator at FB and let him run like Donald Brown.

Reaction Score
He has about 25 lbs on Todman. 5'11" 205 is a great size for an incoming back.

Give him a Shermanator at FB and let him run like Donald Brown.
Are we going back to a full back offense? I sure hope we don't go back to packing things in and 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are we going back to a full back offense? I sure hope we don't go back to packing things in and 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

He looks to me like a versatile player who can catch the ball or run. I think you'll see Edsall focus on that. It's part of what I think he means by being "multiple". It's what the Patriots do. You need to be able to almost run any play out of any formation, regardless of personnel. It makes you so much harder to defend. So if we have a fullback. I fully expect to see him block on one play, and go in motion and become a slot receiver on the next. There's nothing wrong with that. It's predictability that you need to eliminate. I really think Edsall had his eyes opened on this at some point. Maybe with the Lions.

Reaction Score
He looks to me like a versatile player who can catch the ball or run. I think you'll see Edsall focus on that. It's part of what I think he means by being "multiple". It's what the Patriots do. You need to be able to almost run any play out of any formation, regardless of personnel. It makes you so much harder to defend. So if we have a fullback. I fully expect to see him block on one play, and go in motion and become a slot receiver on the next. There's nothing wrong with that. It's predictability that you need to eliminate. I really think Edsall had his eyes opened on this at some point. Maybe with the Lions.
You're describing an H-back which is used in many offenses. The full back is a dying breed.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're describing an H-back which is used in many offenses. The full back is a dying breed.

There is no real differences except in utility. The Patriots employ Develin as I described, and he is considered a Fullback.

Edit: what I'm trying to say is that labels are becoming irrelevant. Split your TE or RB out wide. Put a WR in the backfield. Use a FB as a traditional fullback, or more like a TE.

Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying, but there won’t a true “FB” position label on the roster (although guys may line up as such). As @JMick said, you’ll see TE/H-back. And per HCRE....

“I want to have four quarterbacks, which we do,” Edsall said. “I want to have five running backs, which we’ll probably only have four this year, so we’ll be down one there. Receivers, we want eleven on scholarship and we are going to have eleven. The tight ends/H-backs, I’d like to have five, but we are only going to have four because I can’t get the extra number. Offensive line, we will have sixteen, including signing two more freshmen.”

Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying, but there won’t a true “FB” position label on the roster (although guys may line up as such). As @JMick said, you’ll see TE/H-back. And per HCRE....

“I want to have four quarterbacks, which we do,” Edsall said. “I want to have five running backs, which we’ll probably only have four this year, so we’ll be down one there. Receivers, we want eleven on scholarship and we are going to have eleven. The tight ends/H-backs, I’d like to have five, but we are only going to have four because I can’t get the extra number. Offensive line, we will have sixteen, including signing two more freshmen.”
Exactly. At the college level specifically there is a big difference between a FB and an H-back. You won't see a 5'11" 245lb load of a human at H-back like you do fullback. You're going to see a 6'2"-6'5" 230-240lb guy

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Btw, I guess Edsal is counting Tyler Davis again as a TE in order to get to four with Holman, Rose and Fitton unless we have a position change.

On the subject of TE I would offer Stephen Lambert out of NH a pwo if we don’t have a bead on a transfer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Exactly. At the college level specifically there is a big difference between a FB and an H-back. You won't see a 5'11" 245lb load of a human at H-back like you do fullback. You're going to see a 6'2"-6'5" 230-240lb guy

Same in the pros really. It's just semantics. James Develin is 6'3" and 250. He's listed at FB, but could easily be listed as an H Back. It doesn't matter. My only point was that I have no objection, in short yardage, to lining up a guy like that as a FB lead blocker. Or confusing the D by then sending him in motion (and probably pulling an LB with him).

I think we agree that Edsall is looking for a flexible roster with lots of interchangeable parts and multiple formations. That's good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom