2018 6'7 wing Damezi Anderson offered | The Boneyard

2018 6'7 wing Damezi Anderson offered

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'd rather that than the other way, which we had a nasty habit of doing. Chillious said he likes to cast a far and wide net. I'm ok with it.
Read you the first time.

Reaction Score
Offers means nothing. We'll find out who we prioritize by coaches we spend time watching (shittu, reddish, and ??? Not much info on adidas or Ua kids yet)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Offers let kids and their mentors know we observed them and are interested in them as opposed to other players on the court.

It's the chum that makes the tunas interested. If the tunas send out a signal the interest is reciprocated the coaches get an idea who they can devote their energy in the recruiting process which allows them to cast the better bait in the best directions..

It doesn't take much to infer that Chillious has a system that has worked for him. My hypothesis how it might work: More than likely KO and the assistants confer what positions they want to target for each year. So they put out multiple offers that exceed that number for all the recruits that they believe have the potential to fit KO's system. If they want two wings for 2019 and one SG they might offer eight wings and four SG's from the class or some ratio that Chillious has refined. Then they wait to know who is very interested, who isn't interested at all and everything in between. They withdraw the uninterested and continue offers until they get some number of players that gives them a reasonable chance to sign for each position.

Reaction Score
What happened to KO having specific "UConn tough" type targets he's going to focus on? When all is said and done he will likely offer every kid in the top 100.

Reaction Score
What happened to KO having specific "UConn tough" type targets he's going to focus on? When all is said and done he will likely offer every kid in the top 100.
An offer isn't a big deal, but in today's age if you don't offer early you're playing catch up. Chillious likes a wide net. And there's a lot of tough kids in this class it seems.

Reaction Score
Well it would literally be impossible for KO to know most kids in the 2018 class on that level, and part of it is showing interest in joining the program. Right now it's about evaluating talent.

I also am pro having a bunch of offers out there. Kansas employs this approach too. Even though they're a great program, the "make them wait" strategy really only works for Kentucky and Duke, and even there, some kids end up using their offers just to increase their own hype.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Guess he didn't realize that until this offseason amirite.

...It's possible, this is the first head coaching experience. Like someone else said offers mean very little it's about the players he spends time watching.

Reaction Score
Offers let kids and their mentors know we observed them and are interested in them as opposed to other players on the court.

It's the chum that makes the tunas interested. If the tunas send out a signal the interest is reciprocated the coaches get an idea who they can devote their energy in the recruiting process which allows them to cast the better bait in the best directions..

It doesn't take much to infer that Chillious has a system that has worked for him. My hypothesis how it might work: More than likely KO and the assistants confer what positions they want to target for each year. So they put out multiple offers that exceed that number for all the recruits that they believe have the potential to fit KO's system. If they want two wings for 2019 and one SG they might offer eight wings and four SG's from the class or some ratio that Chillious has refined. Then they wait to know who is very interested, who isn't interested at all and everything in between. They withdraw the uninterested and continue offers until they get some number of players that gives them a reasonable chance to sign for each position.
What worked? How many final fours did Washington get to?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What worked? How many final fours did Washington get to?

Getting quality into the program. It's a whole nother matter what happens after they get there.

Given the fact they weren't uber successful, it's even more impressive they got all that talent to continue to matriculate.

pj

Reaction Score
This highlight is a little thin: a dunk, a layup, a steal, and a charge/block:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like the wide net being thrown instead of looking at a couple of players as that has burned UConn as we know the past couple of years.

UConn needs players, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen it rubs players the wrong way when u offer everyone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From what I have seen it rubs players the wrong way when u offer everyone.

Not arguing at all, but isn't this what Chillious did at Washington?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We have 27 offers out, Louisville has 29, Virginia has 25 and Kansas has 30. There's plenty of schools playing it just like we are. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.
As long as we have more offers than the fruit, it's all good.

Reaction Score
plays with meanstreets

Feel like we are offering way too many guys

We have never really been a team, like a Duke or a Kentucky, to pick 10 kids to make offers to and get 5 of them. This is the reality of modern recruiting. You go national, identify kids who can contribute to your program, develop a relationship with those kids, and, if you think that they would be good additions, offer them scholarships. Most of the mere mortal teams have to do it this way. We are in a new league and new recruiting waters. We are tooth and nail with Providence and Seton Hall (and have lost a kid to each of them in the last two weeks). A wide net is the way to go. It's hard because, once the offers are out, you have to babysit them for months. It is a tough business.

Saying we are offering too many guys is like the guy in "Amadeus" telling Mozart that his latest work had too many notes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom