2017 -2018 Uconn Roster Up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2017 -2018 Uconn Roster Up

Reaction Score
Agree. Attitude is everything.

Last year was like a bad batch of soup, and we kept adding ingredients and seasonings to try to make it good, but it wasn't. Just want to start from scratch, or mostly.

How about fish oil soup?

In all seriousness this could be a really fun year. I'm totally fine with someone surprising, stepping up, and earning their way into the starting lineup. Unfortunately, I hope it happens sooner rather than later with our early schedule.

Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Vital starts against smaller teams and Cobb comes out

You may be right, although I think the starting lineup will remain the same unless productivity suggests otherwise. I'm not sure we have seen different starting lineups based on matchup before, but I could be mistaken.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Minutes:
Alterique
Adams
Vital
Larrier
will get the most
Beyond that, I have no idea who will step up.
I hope Ollie commits to tempo which will give Anderson significant minutes.

Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup will be quite different. I am thinking:

Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Cobb or Diarra

This is going to be one of the smallest Uconn teams I can remember in the last 20 years.

Larrier will not nearly be the rebounder Diarra is going to be, and Cobb does not bring the experience or defensive element that Onuorah can.

I feel we're going to need to start a shot blocking presence at center so the guards can comfortably play high pressure defense on the arc.

Of course this is subject to change based on what type of lineups other teams play in conference. But when we get to the tournament and start facing the elite teams we're going to need a stable starting lineup with SIZE and defensive prowess.

Reaction Score
Diarra and Onuorah will be starters. You can't play great teams with Larrier at PF, they'll murder us in the paint.

Larrier is pretty much your prototypical college four. He'll be at the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to weight, but overall his profile isn't much of an outlier when guys like Pat Connaughton, Luke Kennard, Brandon Ingram, Devin Robinson, DeAndre Daniels, etc. have played the four on highly successful college teams in the recent past.

Reaction Score
Larrier is pretty much your prototypical college four. He'll be at the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to weight, but overall his profile isn't much of an outlier when guys like Pat Connaughton, Luke Kennard, Brandon Ingram, Devin Robinson, DeAndre Daniels, etc. have played the four on highly successful college teams in the recent past.

Luke Kennard?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Your first two did not play PF at all. Devin robinson was a pure 4, and I honestly don't think Ingram played the 4 either.

Reaction Score
Your first two did not play PF at all. Devin robinson was a pure 4, and I honestly don't think Ingram played the 4 either.

The other four starters his senior year were Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Steve Vasturia, and Zach Auguste, so somebody had to have played the four. For sake of contrast, they played a Kentucky team in the elite eight that might have rolled out the tallest starting five in college basketball history, and they lost at the buzzer.

Duke started Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, and Marshall Plumlee alongside Ingram. The following year, they played Kennard predominantly at the four - with Allen, Jones, Frank Jackson, and Amile Jefferson - until Tatum returned from injury and then they played him there in pinches when Tatum returned.

Villanova played Josh Hart at the four a lot last season, Oregon went to the final four with Dillon Brooks sliding up a position for the injured Chris Boucher, and Xavier road a four guard lineup to the elite eight with their star point guard sidelined. Devin Robinson was 200 pounds soaking wet when Florida went to the elite eight last year.

I can probably name a lot of other examples, but my main point is that, with the way basketball is played today, it'd probably be optimal to play Larrier at the four under the best of circumstances. With the front court as depleted as it is, it's a no-brainer. I'm worried about rebounding, too, but the best way to limit offensive rebounds is often to keep the ball in front of you. The five is a far greater question mark for me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The other four starters his senior year were Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Steve Vasturia, and Zach Auguste, so somebody had to have played the four. For sake of contrast, they played a Kentucky team in the elite eight that might have rolled out the tallest starting five in college basketball history, and they lost at the buzzer.

Duke started Matt Jones, Grayson Allen, Luke Kennard, and Marshall Plumlee alongside Ingram. The following year, they played Kennard predominantly at the four - with Allen, Jones, Frank Jackson, and Amile Jefferson - until Tatum returned from injury and then they played him there in pinches when Tatum returned.

Villanova played Josh Hart at the four a lot last season, Oregon went to the final four with Dillon Brooks sliding up a position for the injured Chris Boucher, and Xavier road a four guard lineup to the elite eight with their star point guard sidelined. Devin Robinson was 200 pounds soaking wet when Florida went to the elite eight last year.

I can probably name a lot of other examples, but my main point is that, with the way basketball is played today, it'd probably be optimal to play Larrier at the four under the best of circumstances. With the front court as depleted as it is, it's a no-brainer. I'm worried about rebounding, too, but the best way to limit offensive rebounds is often to keep the ball in front of you. The five is a far greater question mark for me.
Auguste was the PF that year. Maybe Duke played with 4 guards at one point because they were all so damn good, plus Jefferson was a beast inside. Personally I don't remember Ingram ever playing the 4 for long stretches, but maybe he did. Plus all the players you named were great for their teams that year, we don't know if larrier is at that level yet.

Reaction Score
Probation, Oriahki and Roscoe bail...drama...Coach retires..seasoned veteran guard play...National Championship...down goes Gilbert, Larrier, more injuries...drama...Vance, Enoch bail....seasoned veteran guard play...
uh oh, I've seen this movie before

Reaction Score
Auguste was the PF that year. Maybe Duke played with 4 guards at one point because they were all so damn good, plus Jefferson was a beast inside. Personally I don't remember Ingram ever playing the 4 for long stretches, but maybe he did. Plus all the players you named were great for their teams that year, we don't know if larrier is at that level yet.
Even if your point about Auguste was true with him at PF (he wasn't) that means they were playing Vasturia or Connaughton at the 5 that year, who are both 6'5. They had Jackson (6'1), Grant (6'5), Vasturia (6'5) and Connaughton (6'5) all playing over 32 MPG. One of those 4 spent the majority of their time at the 4

Reaction Score
I don't think height is as big of a factor turning into W's, it helps. But when your team has no concept of defense other than let Brimah protect the rim, things don't go so well. While at the SMU game last year, some SMU fan told me our squad looked like an NBA team when they came on the court the first time. Then the game started...

This team is smaller, but faster and honestly probably more exciting. At the very least, its intriguing to see what style of play they come out with.

Reaction Score
You missed the word "potentially"
Haha, sorry if I misunderstood your post's intentions, but it certainly sounded as though you had already cashed in the season. Looks like a very hungry ball club. If healthy i would think they will be legit contenders. We need to go with what we have now and dismiss all talk about anyone else coming here. I hate seeing Sid Wilsons name popping up again. He's such a wushu washy baby that has all kinds of people pushing his buttons. We don't need an indecisive Daddy or Mommy's boy in amongst our Men! He seems to need all eyes on him and that's not what TEAM is all about. He should play golf or tennis where it's him alone without a team or a coach. He will go to Texas, be home sick and wind up at Hofstra Bwahahaha! CUNext Tuesday Sid Vicious!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Haha, sorry if I misunderstood your post's intentions, but it certainly sounded as though you had already cashed in the season. Looks like a very hungry ball club. If healthy i would think they will be legit contenders. We need to go with what we have now and dismiss all talk about anyone else coming here. I hate seeing Sid Wilsons name popping up again. He's such a wushu washy baby that has all kinds of people pushing his buttons. We don't need an indecisive Daddy or Mommy's boy in amongst our Men! He seems to need all eyes on him and that's not what TEAM is all about. He should play golf or tennis where it's him alone without a team or a coach. He will go to Texas, be home sick and wind up at Hofstra Bwahahaha! CUNext Tuesday Sid Vicious!

His mother just passed away.

Nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom