2004 UConn vs Duke NCAA Semi | The Boneyard

2004 UConn vs Duke NCAA Semi

Reaction Score
The main reason I linked this video:
Take a look at how impactful Boone is on this game. He is actually good all season but he is freaking out of the world in this win or go home game. He played a role almost in every critical possession down the stretch. That is how you bring up a talent freshman.

Just saying:
This could be a winning formula for the current team:
2 bigs: A freshman Boone + Emeka

Shooters/slashers: Ben Gordon + Rasheed Anderson

Trivia: when JC asked Emeka in the beginning of the season: who do you think should start at center?

“Josh, he deserves it” said Emeka.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What lineup did the opposition deploy during that game? Today Luol Deng would be a four, he was a three for Duke that night.

The game has changed quite a bit, primarily with what players are capable of doing in physical high traffic conditions and what referees will allow under those conditions.

It isn't far from saying that a baseball team would have a better pitching staff if they had their starters pitch complete games. Yes, there was a time when a quality starter would go nine innings 20+ games a season. Today there aren't 20 complete games across the majors leagues as nobody is trained for that any longer.

Reaction Score
What lineup did the opposition deploy during that game? Today Luol Deng would be a four, he was a three for Duke that night.

The game has changed quite a bit, primarily with what players are capable of doing in physical high traffic conditions and what referees will allow under those conditions.

It isn't far from saying that a baseball team would have a better pitching staff if they had their starters pitch complete games. Yes, there was a time when a quality starter would go nine innings 20+ games a season. Today there aren't 20 complete games across the majors leagues as nobody is trained for that any longer.
Luol Deng was the 4 that game:

Reaction Score
I remember Deng playing the 4 most of his time at Duke.

This game is easily in my Top 3 for non-NC games. An absolute classic. I wanted Duke so badly all season. We roared out of the gate then Emeka was screwed over with two early touch fouls. JC still had the balls to bench him for the remainder of the half. Duke kept us at arm's length for the longest, then the big Rashad corner three with about three minutes left helped spark us and eventually get us over the hump. I thought for sure that Redick's final three from the top of the key was good, and IIRC Duhon's meaningless three at the buzzer screwed over a lot of gamblers.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how many years that game took off my life but it was more than a few! I was at the game and I kept pacing up and down the stairs until my friends told me to go outside into the concourse with about 5 minutes left. I paced back and forth there and as they were coming back I started to go back to my seat and my friends threw me out and told me to go back to the concourse to keep the mojo going. As the horn sounded I ran to my seat and like 20 people in the section started yelling, "MVP, MVP" at me. If you think it affects the mojo, it affects the mojo.

Reaction Score
Mental Toughness + talent = NC. possibly our best team of all time.
After some chemistry issues and injuries early on once `Shad got in the lineup that team was one of the best teams of the last 30 years.

Reaction Score
Ahhh. I remember that game well. We had a big UConn viewing party at my house. Nantz and packer (rip) doing the game. Primetime. High drama. One of the top 10 greatest sports wins of my life. Great comeback. We all went nuts after. Turned into a long night of drinking.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I can't tell you how many years that game took off my life but it was more than a few! I was at the game and I kept pacing up and down the stairs until my friends told me to go outside into the concourse with about 5 minutes left. I paced back and forth there and as they were coming back I started to go back to my seat and my friends threw me out and told me to go back to the concourse to keep the mojo going. As the horn sounded I ran to my seat and like 20 people in the section started yelling, "MVP, MVP" at me. If you think it affects the mojo, it affects the mojo.
Bookmarked.
You have great friends.
I refer to that ending as having "pitched a perfect game."

Reaction Score
Ok but in 99 freeman was our 4.
In 11 Roscoe was our 4
In 14 Daniels was our 4.

We played double big for 1 of our 4 chips.

Also Comparing okafor and Boone to sanogo and Clingan is laughable

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll have to watch that game again, fortunately I have it in DVD. I could have sworn that Duke started Williams, Randolph and Deng in the front court and Redneck (I know, Reddick) and Duhon in the backcourt.

If my memory is incorrect, my apologies.

Reaction Score
i hated jj reddick, not so much now. I wish he stuck around with the sixers and love the podcast

Reaction Score
i hated jj reddick, not so much now. I wish he stuck around with the sixers and love the podcast
Totally agree. Most hated college player of my lifetime but over the last almost 20 years I slowly started to realize I actually like him.

Reaction Score
I was a Redick hater as well. Unbelievable how much $ he has made in the NBA.

Answer is $116 million in 16 seasons.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom