#2 is cursed this year | The Boneyard

#2 is cursed this year

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
How many second ranked teams have lost this year? Hardly any have held that spot in consecutive weeks. Iowa was the latest, today.

I figure Ohio State will be 2nd on Monday, but Oregon State deserves it.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I find this narrative kind of weird. Every other spot in the top 10 has changed most weeks, too. The only reason it's notable that no. 2 keeps changing is because no. 1 does not - so in essence, it reflects that but for SCAR, the field would be wide open this year. However, because of SCAR, the accurate way to bet going into March Madness is: SCAR vs. the Field.

(Honestly, though, if I were rooting for SCAR to win this year, I'd be hoping for a loss between now and April, because there are too many teams that can get hot on any given night, and apart from Pao Pao and Cardoso, most of this young team doesn't have a lot of experience in tight, close end-of-game situations.)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan nailed it. There's no mysterious or esoteric curse. It's just that no one else is particularly great from #2 on down. Quite a few good teams but none that I would call great.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
@TheFarmFan nailed it. There's no mysterious or esoteric curse. It's just that no one else is particularly great from #2 on down. Quite a few good teams but none that I would call great.
Something I've noticed more this year than in previous years (probably because NC State has been a victim twice when this has happened)...but teams seem to have more erratic shooting nights. It makes no rhyme or reason; a team shoots 50% one game, then turns around and has a 30% shooting night the next. One game with energy...maybe consecutive games...then a game when just nothing goes right. And a lot of results that just make you sit back and say "Whoa!".

There has been lots of "regression to the mean" from several high-profile teams this season. South Carolina has off nights, too, but they are so much better than everyone else, they're able to overcome that by dominating in other areas of the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maybe they should just leave #2 blank the rest of the year. Kind of like they skip from 12-14th floor in a building.:)

Heck, if nobody wants to be #2... lets put High Point there...or Wofford.. Duke.. NC A&T..

Reaction Score
That's because SC is alone at the top and then below is everyone else knocking each other off. Parity except for ONE team. You can expect to start hearing that SC is bad for the game :p
I seem to recall hearing this same narrative last season.

It's unlikely Caitlin and Co. could pull off that upset again, and maybe won't get the chance, but remember what that player from way down LSU's bench did to save Reese, Mulkey, et al, in the title game? I think like six threes in the first half!

Such a thing could happen again. I'd certainly bet on SC to win it all, but it's far from a lock. I define a lock as UConn in the 2016 tournament, especially because it had a relatively easy path through the field.

Reaction Score
Such a thing could happen again. I'd certainly bet on SC to win it all, but it's far from a lock. I define a lock as UConn in the 2016 tournament, especially because it had a relatively easy path through the field.
This.

Right now SCar is far and away the favorite to win it all. This is 100% SCar’s title to lose, but it’s so hard to go undefeated on your way to a title. Every team will be coming at you desperate for an upset.

Can SCar do it? I believe so. But I doubt they’ll waltz their way to the top.

Reaction Score
This.

Right now SCar is far and away the favorite to win it all. This is 100% SCar’s title to lose, but it’s so hard to go undefeated on your way to a title. Every team will be coming at you desperate for an upset.

Can SCar do it? I believe so. But I doubt they’ll waltz their way to the top.
Same discussion as last year.

Any team can be beaten,

Reaction Score
I find this narrative kind of weird. Every other spot in the top 10 has changed most weeks, too. The only reason it's notable that no. 2 keeps changing is because no. 1 does not - so in essence, it reflects that but for SCAR, the field would be wide open this year. However, because of SCAR, the accurate way to bet going into March Madness is: SCAR vs. the Field.

(Honestly, though, if I were rooting for SCAR to win this year, I'd be hoping for a loss between now and April, because there are too many teams that can get hot on any given night, and apart from Pao Pao and Cardoso, most of this young team doesn't have a lot of experience in tight, close end-of-game situations.)
I think an earlier loss to Stanford or Ole Miss last year might’ve made the difference in the Iowa game. SC played poorly in the fourth quarter and turned it over when the clock and score tightened. To your point, dropping a game could be a good thing — preferably in-conference since SC already has a three-game lead over everyone else. But I don’t see anyone likely to do it unless Tennessee can pull it off at home on Thursday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom