$2 Beer night… what a joke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

$2 Beer night… what a joke

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it’s just too far. Planning a Hill Farmstead/Schilling road trip for after mud season. Will hike the Pemi Loop and do some peak bagging in VT as well.

No one on the east coast comes close to Schilling’s level with heritage styles. Luckily, most of their drops trickle down into distro just over the border from me to DeCicco’s in NY. Possibly the best craft beer section at a grocery store in the U.S.
Their distribution has certainly improved. You can also always call if you see something you like that is on rotation and have them hold it for you in the back for when you come up.
Would recommend doing the rounds when you visit and hitting Wildbloom across the street; new brewery, same guys who did Henniker Brewery. Think more farm style beers, like the new offshoot of Treehouse sort of.

Reaction Score
I take the train to nearly every game. The station is a block from XL, is cheaper then parking, and avoids any drinking issues. Why wouldn't you take the train to XL?
Because taking the train for me and the vast majority of CT residents would involve driving to and parking at or ubering to the train station I would take to get to Hartford. And that whole process would take much much longer than driving. And you’re bound to train departure times. And trains don’t run very late. Can’t believe I’d need to explain that lol

I’m also not tripping over paying however less than the $20 it is to park. If you don’t live within walking distance to the station in New Haven I don’t see the benefit at all other than “drinking issues”

Reaction Score
I have also taken the bus to XL as well as taking it to work downtown every day. Hartford actually has a very good public transportation system. Why would you laugh at that and why is that people in this country are so negative about public transportation?
I love public transit. Lived in Boston proper with no car for two years and Cambridge for a year before that. Used to take it in SD but it really sucks and is ultimately inconvenient. I only take the train going to and around NY.

I just work in the north end of Hartford currently, and know of Hartford’s general reputation, and wince at the idea of taking the bus.

Reaction Score
Because taking the train for me and the vast majority of CT residents would involve driving to and parking at or ubering to the train station I would take to get to Hartford. And that whole process would take much much longer than driving. And you’re bound to train departure times. And trains don’t run very late. Can’t believe I’d need to explain that lol

I’m also not tripping over paying however less than the $20 it is to park. If you don’t live within walking distance to the station in New Haven I don’t see the benefit at all other than “drinking issues”
Where do these people live in CT where they can take public transportation to and from Hartford without getting in a car? They're making it sound like NYC.

They must all live together right next to the New Britian bus station and the New Haven train station.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Train travel rules.

I took my first longer-ish distance Amtrak trip in 2022 when I had to take the train from Stamford to Baltimore for an educational conference. Such a relaxing experience and it was fun being able to get around without even thinking about parking.

I'll take the same trip this summer as the Yankees will be in Baltimore the same weekend as my birthday. Never been to a game at Camden Yards, so can't wait for that and even though I was there for work, Baltimore became one of my favorite American cities.
Train travel is the best.

For big XL games the train needs to be run more frequently, and the return trains need to run later. If I still lived in Fairfield I would 100% train up to New Haven then Hartford, but CTRail always cuts off service too early.

Reaction Score
We discussed this before. You can’t do $2 craft beers. Kids will be puking everywhere and drunk drivers will abound. Craft beer is for the pros.
I’m 20 years removed from being a college student, but if you think these kids can’t handle craft beer better than almost every adult you’re crazy. My college self could out drink my current self by at least a factor of 5.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Where do these people live in CT where they can take public transportation to and from Hartford without getting in a car? They're making it sound like NYC.

They must all live together right next to the New Britian bus station and the New Haven train station.
Driving 5 minutes to the free Fastrak parking lot is a lot better than driving into Hartford and dealing with parking. And there are way more stations than the one in New Britain.
153F94C3-B5AA-46C3-89C4-79F66DA461AF.jpeg

And then of course you have a bunch of stops on the New Haven to Hartford train line. You can grab the train in New Haven, Wallingford, Meriden, Kensington/Berlin, Windsor, and Windsor Locks.

Reaction Score
Driving 5 minutes to the free Fastrak parking lot is a lot better than driving into Hartford and dealing with parking. And there are way more stations than the one in New Britain.
Exactly, going car-free is tough for all but a few. But driving to Fastrack is 100% easier than fighting traffic on I-84 into Hartford and finding parking.

Not sure on the Waterbury/Southington/Cheshire express buses. I would probably drive to one of the NB/Newington stops from there, but then bus from there to avoid the city.

Reaction Score
We don't have control over concessions at XL Center. XL is the better venue for it considering all the public transit available to get to the game. Fewer drunk drivers after
You can get lyft/uber anywhere nowadays. And maybe drinkers have designated drivers. Obviously, never a good idea to drive drunk.

Reaction Score
I hate Hartford games but parking/getting there by car is the best thing about it

Reaction Score
I love public transit. Lived in Boston proper with no car for two years and Cambridge for a year before that. Used to take it in SD but it really sucks and is ultimately inconvenient. I only take the train going to and around NY.

I just work in the north end of Hartford currently, and know of Hartford’s general reputation, and wince at the idea of taking the bus.
We don’t do public transit (at least not good). It’s the last bastion of human freedom to move about when you want, how you want and not be treated like a bunch of cattle for the greater good.

Reaction Score

West Hartford

Reaction Score
Train travel is the best.

For big XL games the train needs to be run more frequently, and the return trains need to run later. If I still lived in Fairfield I would 100% train up to New Haven then Hartford, but CTRail always cuts off service too early.
Hartford Line service has already cut massively into freight availability. Can't run later without significantly hurting an already strained freight situation. Could they and should they make it work for event nights? Absolutely, but it's not as easy as flipping a switch. May also get better as the Hartford Line gets more double-tracking, of which the next phase is happening shortly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I usually get into Hartford by 5 PM, so parking is easy and cheap (street parking and the parking meter is usually about a dollar).

Reaction Score
Looking at that video with the girl and the 50 cans, I can only imagine what the place would look like if it was unlimited.

Reaction Score
West Hartford
Not really. To get from Bishops corner to Fastrak requires taking the 153 bus which is not regular. During the week you can take the 72 which runs to about 11 at night but stops every 10 feet because people are too lazy to walk 200 yards. On the weekend they could take the 62 but that’s the same scenario. All these options it is quicker to just drive.

Reaction Score

I prefer bus out here to train if I have the option which I normally do. You'll get a little more ghost buses and it can take a little longer but the bus is always clean and pleasant. The trains are a whole different story, they reek of urine and people live on them.

I can't imagine relying on public transportation in CT and I doubt many people in the state can take public transportation without a car being involved.

Reaction Score
Not really. To get from Bishops corner to Fastrak requires taking the 153 bus which is not regular. During the week you can take the 72 which runs to about 11 at night but stops every 10 feet because people are too lazy to walk 200 yards. On the weekend they could take the 62 but that’s the same scenario. All these options it is quicker to just drive.
I live in WeHa and am within walking distance of 2 fastrack stations

Reaction Score
He asked where people live to take the bus to XL. I live in West Hartford and take the bus to XL regularly so that is why I answered West Hartford.

Is it faster to drive? Yes. Is it worth driving? Most of the time, for me, no.

Reaction Score
We discussed this before. You can’t do $2 craft beers. Kids will be puking everywhere and drunk drivers will abound. Craft beer is for the pros.
$2 Weller on the rocks night is for the pros.

Reaction Score
Took the train to the last xl game with my son, dropped off at the state st station by my wife. And since this is the 2.00 beer thread I also spent I think, 15ish for a can of sip of sunshine and 12ish for a counterweight at xl.

Reaction Score
Took the train to the last xl game with my son, dropped off at the state st station by my wife. And since this is the 2.00 beer thread I also spent I think, 15ish for a can of sip of sunshine and 12ish for a counterweight at xl.
where is counterweight being sold there?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’ll be honest I get absolutely wasted at XL. So public transportation and Ubers are necessities for me.

On the other hand you can sober up at Gampel because you know you’ll be stuck in traffic for 1 hour.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom