1st Practice Today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

1st Practice Today

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was able to connect to Geno's Coaches Corner Podcast but I did not see the student podcasts? By the way, Geno just loves everything about Paige and especially her personality. It is like Diana Reincarnated but with a little more humor I guess.

After signing off his podcast and hearing Paige is up next, he said. Tell Paige I said hi. I will have my people contact her people. Major League kibitzing.
Try this:

The audio is at least somewhat different from the videos in this thread.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Try this:

The audio is at least somewhat different from the videos in this thread.

Fantastic stuff. Anyone who thinks Nika will not be a significant player on this team after this interview is gonzo. Paige is very complementary of her competitiveness and playing 1-1 after practice. And the fact that Paige said she fouls like all European Players was hilarious.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The big one. :D:D

In the Video, saw the mention of Hopkins Alum as Graduate Assistant. Hmm.

Tracked a picture from her last stint at AZ

1602753441735.png

Reaction Score
Wanna see the looks on opposing low-post defenders' faces when they get brought out to the perimeter and taken off the dribble by Aaliyah Edwards. Morgan Tuck would do that but Edwards is quicker and more athletic.

She is going to be a beast from the high post as well, ala Gabby and Phee. She can hit the foul line jumper, she can drive and finish off the bounce, she can drive and dish to ONO, or she can kick it out to the wing for an open 3. I can't wait to see Edwards play, really excited for what she can bring to this team!

Reaction Score
I think in another year that we'll see a lot of Paige and Nika on the floor at the same time. Paige is comfortable playing off guard or a two point-guard system, and I can see Nika setting some picks and giving and receiving some bruises.
DT really never officially played the PG position in college, national, or wnba. She's been the SG 2 or the sort of point forward 3. I see Paige having a very similar career since. Paige's versatility gives Nika and the recruit who shall not be named a lot of opportunity even with a stacked team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How many times did Paige say she made the right decision [in attending UConn]? I remember at least a few.

Her video clip from 5' to 5' 20'' (20 seconds) is spent saying how everything going on showed she made the right decision :D:D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love the first day of practice. More story lines, quotes and pictures than you know what to do with. That was a long 7 month lay-off (mid-March to mid October) that began in March. :confused: Ahhhh, the smell of WCBB is in the air. Isn’t it sweet? :)

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I love the first day of practice. More story lines, quotes and pictures than you know what to do with. That was a long lay-off that began in March. :confused: Ahhhh, the smell of WCBB is in the air. Isn’t it sweet? :)
I wish that Nov 25 was here already. Does anyone know who UConn plays in the first game of the season?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What I noticed about Paige's public comments was her description of her relationship with Geno, specifically how she feels comfortable walking into his office and talking about almost anything related to basketball, or even to review film (at her own initiative, seemingly).

I remember how both Lou and Napheesa said that they were overawed by Geno as freshmen -- Lou said that she didn't even dare go up to the second floor where his office was, and neither of those two (apparently) would ever dream of initiating a basketball conversation with him.

It shows that Paige has a level of confidence about herself that is on a whole different plane than even top recruits of past years such as Lou and Pheesa.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What I noticed about Paige's public comments was her description of her relationship with Geno, specifically how she feels comfortable walking into his office and talking about almost anything related to basketball, or even to review film (at her own initiative, seemingly).

I remember how both Lou and Napheesa said that they were overawed by Geno as freshmen -- Lou said that she didn't even dare go up to the second floor where his office was, and neither of those two (apparently) would ever dream of initiating a basketball conversation with him.

It shows that Paige has a level of confidence about herself that is on a whole different plane than even top recruits of past years such as Lou and Pheesa.

I think you need to take into account that Phee and Lou were coming into a dynasty functioning at the highest level and they were not really needed so it was natural they looked to the background and just tried to fit in

Paige and apparently all the freshman (to different degrees to be sure) see a strong but not unbeatable team with room to fill so they are naturally empowered to take ownership and claim major parts of the pie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She sees and feels the game on a much higher level than most any incoming freshmen. Kind of like not being afraid of taking a test because you've studied so much that you're confident of knowing all the answers beforehand.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wish that Nov 25 was here already. Does anyone know who UConn plays in the first game of the season?

Yes. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced in May, the participants for this year's Hall of Fame Women’s Challenge on Saturday, November 28th and Sunday, November 29th at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT.

UConn will take on Quinnipiac (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) in the opening round, and Maine (America East Conference) will face off with Mississippi State (Southeastern Conference). The championship and consolation game will follow on Sunday.

It's doubtful that UConn will schedule a game on the opening day of the season. Since the number of out of conference (OOC) games they are allowed to play this season has been reduced, they probably want to play that game later in the preseason in December.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom