19 shots and 3 assists | The Boneyard

19 shots and 3 assists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That line needs to be addressed. Great player. But he took a lot of threes from beyond the NBA arc. Reminded me a little of Stanford. Settling. If Bazz gets frustrated we have no chance. He has to find another way.

58 points. Okay let's regroup and move on.

Reaction Score
Agreed - he settled for too many deep 3 pointers. Very hard for him to get an open look from 3 with the ball in his hands at this point. Teams know how to stop our ball screen. Other than after that one timeout where Bazz hit an open 3 assisted by Kromah - I dont think any plays were run for him without the ball in his hands. Also he stopped driving into the lane and kicking it back out in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Yeah rough game for Bazz. Especially on a night when both Giffey and Kromah are hitting shots you gotta keep getting those guys the ball. He's hit bigtime deep 3s before but when they aren't falling its ugly.

Did Kilpatrick just win POY?

Reaction Score
seemed to me like on many of Bazz' 3's, he was falling backward and fading away, even when no one was near him. So many short, front rimmed shots for him tonight.

Reaction Score
That line needs to be addressed. Great player. But he took a lot of threes from beyond the NBA arc. Reminded me a little of Stanford. Settling. If Bazz gets frustrated we have no chance. He has to find another way.

58 points. Okay let's regroup and move on.
100% agree. Stanford in particular came into my mind as well. A little too much hero ball. I think sometimes the misses get into his head, and he forces his game a little bit. He misses so rarely like he did tonight, that it's not usually much of a problem.

A poor game from a great player. He'll be back.

Reaction Score
seemed to me like on many of Bazz' 3's, he was falling backward and fading away, even when no one was near him. So many short, front rimmed shots for him tonight.

He's got a terrible hitch in his jumpshot. Look at his first shot of the night--feet set under neath him--swish. Yes he hits shots but he cannot sustain a certain level of play unless his fundamentals stay in check. I understand that players need to fade-away at times. Shabazz his doing this--kicking his feet out at 30 feet. How many of his shots were dreadfully short? I think in pro scouts eyes--when you are not a top 15 pick you can make or lose money o9n any given night. Tonight--did Shabazz look like a prop player? He looked like a short 2 guard with bad form. He needs to balance his play--he's a willing passer and tonight he wasnt as willing. Everyone continues to learn--Im sure someone will speak with SN and watch some film

Reaction Score
Bazz forced a few shots. His touch was off, but he was also a marked man with Cinci's length. He's normal follow through with Cinci defenders on him made him rush some of his shots... Exactly what defenders should do to him, so good defensive plan by Cinci.

Reaction Score
Let's not get carried away. One bad shooting night and we're questioning his fundamentals? I haven't seen this hitch that you're talking about.
Watch his shot--he kicks his legs out--that is not normal fundamental form. His first 3 of the night was perfect--his feet were planted and everything followed thru. He was taking very long three's kicking his legs out and the balls were coming up way short--he was short all night. You cant make 27-30 footers unless your body and shot are straight on and shooting with maximum strength. On the other hand--notice how easily kilpatrick shoots his 3 very little wasted motion. Im sure bazz is the better shooter? but he has developed a bad habit.

Reaction Score
Bazz gets the goat horns tonight no doubt. We were playing team ball. We didn't need him to "take over" tonight..
Really good analysis. We built a double digit lead by working the ball around and hitting cutters. Bazz tried to put his stamp on it on an off night and we crumbled.

Reaction Score
That's a good post palatine……I think we all feel we need to be tough on Bazz for what could be deemed as trying to play the POY head-to-head rather than thinking of the team first…….but he has one coming, a pass that is. He's done to much to harp on this one………

Move on get back on track with a couple W's and get healthy……..all will be fine and they need to play a solid team game on Sunday!

Reaction Score
Rough night by Bazz. He wasn't off either, he was matched up against a better player. There was too much Bazz vs. Kilpatrick, and not enough Huskies vs. the Bearcats.

I know Kilpatrick is a really good player but one game does not make him better automatically……….he throws bricks at times too we just caught lightning tonight……….he was real good. I've seen our guy have better halves so I'll stick with him!

Reaction Score
If you (i.e. Bazz) are having an off night, look to your parner (Giffey) or others to get going. I really think Bazz was tired in the 2nd half affecting him mentally as well. For some reason it seem that he had to take matters into his own hands, but it wasn't necessary last night. There were a few teammates playing well offensively to help shoulder his burden.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this seems to be a pattern with Bazz. When he goes up against a top notch point from another team he tends to press and force his shot because he appears to try to be out doing them. He needs to stay within himself and look to distribute first then shoot. Way too many forced shots last night.

Reaction Score
Ollie should given him a little break at the midway point - he played the entire 2nd half

Reaction Score
You take the good with the bad...tonight was Bad Bazz. Not looking for the open man, not driving to the hoop. Taking deep 3's fading away.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
You take the good with the bad...tonight was Bad Bazz. Not looking for the open man, not driving to the hoop. Taking deep 3's fading away.

Yeah. You just can't win against #7 on their floor without the good Bazz, and without DD.

Reaction Score
Bazz gets alot of his assists by feeding Deandre....no Deandre so Bazz took DD's shots and missed most of them, some badly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rough night for Bazz but our offense was also so stagnant the last 15 minutes of the game. We weren't executed and were standing around for much of each offensive possession. Some credit goes to Cinncy but we also shot ourselves in the foot a little. The nice ball movement and bevy of screens were nowhere to be found down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Boat also was to blame, he hit a big 3 late, but froze on a late 3 and he didn't protect the ball at all. We did not run any O at all in the second half. I got tired of watching multiple picks at the top of the key with only Bazz and Boat pounding the ball to nowhere.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How many times did we go to Kromah and Giff in the last 15 minutes?

Reaction Score
Watch his shot--he kicks his legs out--that is not normal fundamental form. His first 3 of the night was perfect--his feet were planted and everything followed thru. He was taking very long three's kicking his legs out and the balls were coming up way short--he was short all night. You cant make 27-30 footers unless your body and shot are straight on and shooting with maximum strength. On the other hand--notice how easily kilpatrick shoots his 3 very little wasted motion. Im sure bazz is the better shooter? but he has developed a bad habit.

What you're describing isn't a hitch but it's certainly a bad habit. Players frequently extend a leg attempting to contact the defender and draw a foul. Unfortunately, it creates a more difficult shot and rarely works. Boat does the same thing on contested 3's but you will notice that neither of them extend their leg when wide open. Bazz also likes to pull back the follow through ala Carmelo Anthony, which is purely a stylistic thing and also creates a more difficult shot.

Edit. Watching his highlights, Bazz kicks out his right foot 95%, even back to his high school days.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A good part of the game was predicated by driving to the lane and probing the defense. If a shot was available the players were advised to take it, otherwise to kick it out. LK and NG did a lot more of this type of play than usual. In fact KO had LK running offense for a good part of the first half.

It was a great decision because Cinci plays aggressively on the perimeter and put their best defenders on SN and RB. That opened up opportunities for NG and LK to drive to the lane. Assists were going to be at a minimum with this type of offense.

SN was off from the beginning. I don't agree with those who think it was a mental funk or a mano a mano thing with him. That pass out to an open NG on a penetration drive was anything but selfish. I just felt he was laboring and only part of it was due to Cinci's defense. The rest imo was an illness that was affecting his game. I would guess that the weeks preparation had called for SN to try and spread the court by taking threes and opening up the middle for dribble penetration. It's tough to go away from the game plan when it was working for all but the last five minutes of the game even with SN being off his game.

I expect a similar game plan in the rematch with a healthy SN making a majority of those threes and a W for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom