19 from Purvis, 16 from Hamilton | The Boneyard

19 from Purvis, 16 from Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Get a playmaker (Adams), improve our interior offense (a healthy offseason, we can hope), and improve the GD perimeter defense, and we're in good shape.

Purvis and Hamilton showed what they can do as the year ended, even when they each occasionally laid eggs.

Not the way I wanted this season to end by any means, but I think an Adams-Purvis-Hamilton perimeter is going to be dynamite, and that this team will win games next year at a better clip than this year.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I am. Not that optimistic because I believe many of the flaws, which some may think can be improved, may never be. I am concerned about that in a huge way, if you're all in on someone at a key position and they may never deliver you need to have a back up plan. Well that seems to be heading to Wisc or MD (by the way not a back up plan anyway, he would start immediately if he came here). Also can't leave Jalen hanging as a freshman although he may be fully capable,he needs some help and/or someone who he can play with occasionally even.

I'm afraid we need a lot more talented kids immediately and there doesn't seem to be too many choices. We need a little magic from firings, graduation and maybe even Europe. Otherwise I'm afraid of a repeat.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I am. Not that optimistic because I believe many of the flaws, which some may think can be improved, may never be. I am concerned about that in a huge way, if you're all in on someone at a key position and they may never deliver you need to have a back up plan. Well that seems to be heading to Wisc or MD (by the way not a back up plan anyway, he would start immediately if he came here). Also can't leave Jalen hanging as a freshman although he may be fully capable,he needs some help and/or someone who he can play with occasionally even.

I'm afraid we need a lot more talented kids immediately and there doesn't seem to be too many choices. We need a little magic from firings, graduation and maybe even Europe. Otherwise I'm afraid of a repeat.
I'm not sure what you are either. ;)

We'll have to wait till next season but I think you are a tad pessimistic. Hope I'm right.

H

huskymagic

I would be optimistic. Jalen Adams aka little Westbrook is a stud in the Kemba mold. He has good size, great athleticism, and is smooth with the ball and with his jump shot. A great point guard makes a big difference in basketball as we all know. Jalen, Purvis, Hamilton, Steven Enoch, Amida will be a nice, athletic, skilled, and big team that can match up with any team in the country. Good serviceable role players like Terrance, Nolan, Omar, and Rakim and the pieces are there for us to be an elite team. The team will have better chemistry and will run better offense.

Starting Lineup: Jalen, Rodney, D-Ham, Enoch, and Amida
Bench: Phil, Terrence, Omar, Rakim

Reaction Score
They have got to add another impact player or 2 in this off season. Have to.

Even if your best case scenario plays out, it is such a SMALL margin of error. We still have the same front court. And while DHam and Purvis should be more consistent it's basically the same team but swap Boat for a talented frosh. We need more talent. We just do. 6th place in the AAC says it all.

We have full scholarships now. Use them! Calhoun would be relentless in the Spring constantly fine tuning the roster by bringing in anyone who can help, even if just to provide depth.

Reaction Score

We'll have to wait till next season but I think you are a tad pessimistic. Hope I'm right.
I'm with you.

Purvis, from 2/1 (16 games), had only 4 games in single digits, and 7 with 15 or above.

He averaged 17.25 in 8 March games, and only 1 under 10 points.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you're right or not right. But that's alright I just want to right the ship but I can't even seem to get that right. What's left fleudy?:confused:

H

huskymagic

Even if your best case scenario plays out, it is such a SMALL margin of error. We still have the same front court. And while DHam and Purvis should be more consistent it's basically the same team but swap Boat for a talented frosh. We need more talent. We just do. 6th place in the AAC says it all.

We have full scholarships now. Use them! Calhoun would be relentless in the Spring constantly fine tuning the roster by bringing in anyone who can help, even if just to provide depth.

I agree with the fact that Ollie needs to use all scholarships and find impact players. No more scholarships to walk-ons and saving scholarships for no reason.Team chemistry was a big problem on this team as well as an inept offense of passing around the perimeter and waiting for a miracle for Boatright to save the day while everyone else watched. Improvements in Purvis, hamilton, brimah, and incoming Jalen and Enoch along with our serviceable role players will make this team dangerous and HUNGRY next year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree with the fact that Ollie needs to use all scholarships and find impact players. No more scholarships to walk-ons and saving scholarships for no reason.Team chemistry was a big problem on this team as well as an inept offense of passing around the perimeter and waiting for a miracle for Boatright to save the day while everyone else watched. Improvements in Purvis, hamilton, brimah, and incoming Jalen and Enoch along with our serviceable role players will make this team dangerous and HUNGRY next year.

. He gave the walk-ons scholarships in September after nobody else could enroll. How is that a problem?

Reaction Score
. He gave the walk-ons scholarships in September after nobody else could enroll. How is that a problem?
I'd like to have a full team of actual DI players.

But KO also wants people to buy in. And he also wants to avoid the transfer issue that led to the APR ban.

And once you haven't got your guys, no harm in giving that scholarship to some walk-ons who have worked their butts off and will bring some positive press (Harvard Med School!).

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'd like to have a full team of actual DI players.

But KO also wants people to buy in. And he also wants to avoid the transfer issue that led to the APR ban.

And once you haven't got your guys, no harm in giving that scholarship to some walk-ons who have worked their butts off and will bring some positive press (Harvard Med School!).

I would've strongly preferred 13 "real scholarship" players as well. Lenehan and Amilo would have still been walk-ons and gotten their garbage time minutes. But there comes a point in time when no more players are going to be added to the roster. Doing this did not cause any harm.

Reaction Score

I absolutely agree that we're still a piece or two away, but you're assuming that none of these guys are going to get better. The talent development part of the staff hasn't been very good, but sophomore and junior laden teams at UConn have typically done pretty well, so I'm hopeful.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rebounding is perhaps the biggest problem of this team. The lack of the bounds means low second chance on offense and not able to set up on the defensive end. This causes the perimeter defense to fall apart.
AB cannot average less than 3 rebounds again.
Nolan did come along during the past 5 or 6 games - makes you wonder what/where he could be if he was used/healthy all year.
Giving schollys to some walkons isn't going to kill anyone BUT KO needs a backup PG, a serviceable big and a couple of kids who can drain 3s
I don't care that they lost w/o Boat today but ASU was not all that good
Here's to some good pick-ups this summer and to a bright 2015-2016

Reaction Score
Each poster points out a specific problem. Rebounding is our problem. Of fence is our problem. No, defense is the problem. We need ball handlers. Actually, we need all of these and it ain't going to happen by next year. Almost the same cast of characters who lack a lot of the fundamentals and the skill set. Plus, we're pinning our hopes on a freshman guard. Oh wait, we'll have better team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Each poster points out a specific problem. Rebounding is our problem. Of fence is our problem. No, defense is the problem. We need ball handlers. Actually, we need all of these and it ain't going to happen by next year. Almost the same cast of characters who lack a lot of the fundamentals and the skill set. Plus, we're pinning our hopes on a freshman guard. Oh wait, we'll have better team chemistry.
The same thing was said in the offseason of 2007. And the offseason of 1997. And the offseason of 2012. And the offseason of 2001...

Teams get better.

This one will too.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Just stop giving up so many layups game after game after game.

Since we're making a wish list, I would really like it if our guys could consistently make the bunnies that should go down. The number of close-in shots that seemed to never go in the basked was mind-blowing. Two ball handlers would be good as well, one of which is a late signing big talent with a high basketball IQ.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You could see the confidence in hamilton growing the last few weeks. Getting the ball and taking his man one on one for either a jumpshot or drive to the lane. Purvis as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom