10 point win was exactly what we needed for NET | The Boneyard

10 point win was exactly what we needed for NET

Reaction Score
A road win by 10+ points (won't count anything above 10 in margin of victory) maximizes everything you can get out of this game, NET-wise.

Beating a bubble team desperate for a W on the road by double figures is just a great way to be closing out the season. Now for the Georgetown season sweep...

Reaction Score
A road win by 10+ points (won't count anything above 10 in margin of victory) maximizes everything you can get out of this game, NET-wise.

Beating a bubble team desperate for a W on the road by double figures is just a great way to be closing out the season. Now for the Georgetown season sweep...
We need to come out strong a Georgetown. No let downs

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

And we spoiled their senior night!

Reaction Score
I thought everything over 18 was a wash, but if it's 10, that's terrific.

Importantly, we prevented Seton Hall from leapfrogging us in the pecking order, and moved to 3-3 in Quad 1.
It's possible the NCAAs have changed this in the intervening years, but the original formula was:

1614822832510.png

Reaction Score
It's possible the NCAAs have changed this in the intervening years, but the original formula was:

View attachment 65207
Huh, apparently they don't use scoring margin at all anymore. That's a shame. Though it might be redundant with efficiency numbers anyway.

Reaction Score
Huh, apparently they don't use scoring margin at all anymore. That's a shame. Though it might be redundant with efficiency numbers anyway.

Well , that's dumb.

Also tells you how long it's been since UConn has been relevant.

Reaction Score
This was one of our finest games in recent years. Real balance with four in double figures. Our bigs were magnificent, grabbed misses for put backs early to bring us to parity. Whaley and Sanogo kept us in the game and played great defense while the refs let the players determine who the better team was. This was one of few games this years that we didn't have 9 fouls on us in the first half, most of which were on our bigs. They played many more minutes in this game and helped control the outcome. Whaley is one of the top defensive players pound for pound.

We answered their small runs with runs of our own, make foul shots late in the game and broke their press, but not without a few tense moments. Even those players that didn't have large scoring games played great defense. Interesting to note the guard penetrations didn't result in passes to hard to catch by our bigs. We were better off having the guards shoot and clean up the offensive rebounds. This is important change going forward.

Reaction Score

Any system that has a team with a record of 21-1 (Winthrop) ranked significantly behind a team with a record of 9-13 (Penn State) is seriously flawed. Winthrop is ranked 64 in this system, while Penn State is ranked 49. I don’t care what conferences they play in, those rankings are a joke.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting to note the guard penetrations didn't result in passes too hard to catch by our bigs. We were better off having the guards shoot and clean up the offensive rebounds. This is important change going forward.

March is atypically late in the season to be working on new stuff (though game 20 isn't), but I'd love to see if RJ can add passing out from a clogged lane to an open Bouknight, Martin, or Polley on the wing. His pull-up jumper has been a terrific adjustment recently, but last night he reverted 2 or 3 times to tortured layup attempts that were too far beyond his size & ability.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Whalley ruined Mamu's with that first block. The look on his face was priceless.
When Obiagu blocked Whaley's shot, Mamu went all huffin' & puffin' and screamed at him, what sounded like "Payback's a $#%$%, $%&". Ref heard the last word or two and T'd him up. I thought it was a stupid move, mostly because it wasn't really payback unless HE blocked IW's shot. Kinda like, "Yeah, well my big brother is gonna beat you up."

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Any system that has a team with a record of 21-1 (Winthrop) ranked significantly behind a team with a record of 9-13 (Penn State) is seriously flawed. Winthrop is ranked 64 in this system, while Penn State is ranked 49. I don’t care what conferences they play in, those rankings are a joke.
While you have a point, remember that Winthrop has not played a single quad 1 opponent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While you have a point, remember that Winthrop has not played a single quad 1 opponent.

Yeah, look at Colgate's NET ranking. This season is different. They can't just apply the NET alone.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
That wasn't their fault though, they were in a preseason MTE with Seton Hall and Louisville that had a bunch of games cancelled. Edit- my mistake I confused them with Belmont, they had their whole MTE cancelled.

Reaction Score
Winthrop has played 1 team inside the top 100 on KenPom. Penn State has only played 1 team outside of the top 100.

Winthrop has played 18 of 22 games against teams beyond the top 200. Schedule does matter.

But that all being said, WAB has Winthrop ahead of Penn State (#48 to #65), because consistent winning is hard at any level and should be rewarded. But predictive systems like KenPom have Penn State ahead, because they'd likely win if they played.

Reaction Score
Winthrop has played 1 team inside the top 100 on KenPom. Penn State has only played 1 team outside of the top 100.

Winthrop has played 18 of 22 games against teams beyond the top 200. Schedule does matter.

But that all being said, WAB has Winthrop ahead of Penn State (#48 to #65), because consistent winning is hard at any level and should be rewarded. But predictive systems like KenPom have Penn State ahead, because they'd likely win if they played.
So you’re saying that a team under .500 with fewer than 10 wins should be in the NCAA Tournament ahead of a team with a 21-1 record? I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom