“The best four in the history of college basketball” | The Boneyard

“The best four in the history of college basketball”

Reaction Score
Near the end of the Iowa- West Virginia game the announcer ( Beth Mowins I think) said that this is the last time for the home crowd to watch this group of seniors,”the best four in the history of college basketball.” She must be kidding. In addition to Caitlin I think the other 3 she would be talking about are Kate Martin, Gabby Marshall and probably Molly Davis who was a transfer. Are you really going to choose that group over Sue Bird , Swin Cash, Asjha Jones and Tamika Williams - a group that won two national championships. Or how about Stewie. Mo Jeff and Tuck. For a fourth you could add one of the walk-ons (either Tierney Lawlor or Briana Pulido) and I’d still take that group that won 4 national championships.

I’m really not sure if the announcer meant the overall talent or the accomplishments of the Iowa foursome but in either case they don’t compare to the UConn Fab Fours.

Reaction Score
Near the end of the Iowa- West Virginia game the announcer ( Beth Mowins I think) said that this is the last time for the home crowd to watch this group of seniors,”the best four in the history of college basketball.” She must be kidding. In addition to Caitlin I think the other 3 she would be talking about are Kate Martin, Gabby Marshall and probably Molly Davis who was a transfer. Are you really going to choose that group over Sue Bird , Swin Cash, Asjha Jones and Tamika Williams - a group that won two national championships. Or how about Stewie. Mo Jeff and Tuck. For a fourth you could add one of the walk-ons (either Tierney Lawlor or Briana Pulido) and I’d still take that group that won 4 national championships.

I’m really not sure if the announcer meant the overall talent or the accomplishments of the Iowa foursome but in either case they don’t compare to the UConn Fab Fours.
Recency bias.

Reaction Score

The announcers for this tournament are AWFUL. UConn has played two games so far and the announcers spent both games talking about their opponents as if both teams and their coaches were god's gift to basketball. They have almost no interest in the game taking place half the time.

Reaction Score

I imagine the fourth was probably Stuelke, but you're absolutely correct that they're not even close to the best ever. I wouldn't take them right now over Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl, and Shade. I imagine other schools in history have had better quartets too.

Reaction Score
Beth Mowins.....ugh. I cannot listen to her. Just horrid. Clueless 90% of the time.

I remember last year (maybe year before) after the tournaments, switch over to NCAA Softball to watch the UConn of Softball (Oklahoma.)

Imagine my dismay when one of the announcers was, yup, Beth Mowin. I literally almost hurled in my chair.....

ANyone worse then her? Maybe Deb Anotneli or that one announcer on ESPN that GUSHES BUCKETS whenever she talks about South Carolina. Forget her name.

Reaction Score
Near the end of the Iowa- West Virginia game the announcer ( Beth Mowins I think) said that this is the last time for the home crowd to watch this group of seniors,”the best four in the history of college basketball.”
Maybe she meant to the best four in the history of IOWA college basketball. Because otherwise … give me a break.

Reaction Score
Maybe she meant to the best four in the history of IOWA college basketball. Because otherwise … give me a break.
Precisely. She must have left out the word Iowa. I'm betting that some sharp WCBB historian could come up with 100 better all-time senior foursomes (eliminates Stuelke by definition), men or women, and probably at least 10 from UConn alone.

Current UConn seniors (liberal interpretation of the word senior): Paige, Edwards, Nika and Audrey. I'd put them up against any 4 women who ever played at Iowa.

Reaction Score
This is taking the CC hype (deserved for her) to an extreme. Her teammates may be good complementary players, but they are in no way the best 4 in the history of college basketball. How short is the memory of these announcers, who've been around basketball for long enough to know better.

Reaction Score
This is taking the CC hype (deserved for her) to an extreme. Her teammates may be good complementary players, but they are in no way the best 4 in the history of college basketball. How short is the memory of these announcers, who've been around basketball for long enough to know better.
Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Reaction Score
I NEVER listen to the audio of UConn games. Most boneyarders know the team better than most announcers and don't need to be hand-fed what they already know. For fear of offending, I won't add here that many announcers are stupid or have faces for radio. That would be insulting, so I'll err on the side of civility. In short, few if any announcers add anything, and many distract from what's going on. How often have some of you complained about commentators discussing stuff that has nothing to do with what's going on? Few can tolerate silence, but give it a try.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
When I watch on TV, I have the sound on, but when I watch on my laptop, sound is off. I don't think I'm missing much since even with the sound on, the announcers rarely tell viewers who the foul is on, for example.
Yes. One of my biggest pet peeves. Also, in Iowa's first-round game, a number 34, whom I had never seen play, made a basket but was not named for doing so. Nor was the basket even being made noted. Call the !@#$% game!!

Reaction Score

Maybe she was referring to the school itself, as in “The best four in the history of college basketball”, at Iowa. But at the same time, I won’t get too picky about the announcers’ comments, especially during, or immediately at the end of these games. Why? Because it’s an exciting time for everyone, mainly because the landscape of WCBB is growing, and the wealth of good players is now spread across the country. Forget about the negative impact older players exhibited this year, the play of freshmen Milaysia Fulwiley, JuJu Watkins, Audi Crooks, Madison Booker, Mikayla Williams, Ashlynn Shade and KK Arnold, tells us that the future is bright. Their on-court performance helps lead their teams in NCAAs. Then seasoned players like Paige Bueckers, Dyashia Fair, Cameron Brink, Te-hina Paopao, Kiki Irirafen, Mackenzie Holmes, and numerous others, help to guide them.

Last night it was Caitlin Clark’s last time playing at home, with her teammates and her coaches. Her parents, other parents, and fans were rightfully giddy with excitement, and everyone else was caught up in it. And that is okay. During her career, she’s been brilliant, and she’s deserving of all the accolades that go her way. And although the season isn’t over yet, I’m wishing her all the best, except if, and when her team faces UConn.

Reaction Score

She had to be speaking of Iowa basketball! The best four Iowa players in history? If not, then she clearly needs help!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Beth Mowins.....ugh. I cannot listen to her. Just horrid. Clueless 90% of the time.

I remember last year (maybe year before) after the tournaments, switch over to NCAA Softball to watch the UConn of Softball (Oklahoma.)

Imagine my dismay when one of the announcers was, yup, Beth Mowin. I literally almost hurled in my chair.....

ANyone worse then her? Maybe Deb Anotneli or that one announcer on ESPN that GUSHES BUCKETS whenever she talks about South Carolina. Forget her name.
She can pronounce Lu-ah-vil.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How about an ancient lineup that even with changes in the game, this Iowa team can’t match. Sales would give even Clark headaches.
Lobo
Wolters
Rizzotti
Elliott
Berube
Sales

and Sales didn’t usually start, early sub for Pam Webber. A few national players of the year and 4 all Americans.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Last night it was Caitlin Clark’s last time playing at home, with her teammates and her coaches. Her parents, other parents, and fans were rightfully giddy with excitement, and everyone else was caught up in it. And that is okay. During her career, she’s been brilliant, and she’s deserving of all the accolades that go her way. And although the season isn’t over yet, I’m wishing her all the best, except if, and when her team faces UConn.
I would love to see us play Iowa and Clark and Bueckers. I’m old. When I was a UConn student. Wes Bialosuknia was our star, I think #3 scorer in the country. Rutgers had the #1 scorer in the country, Bobby Lloyd. We played them in Storrs near the end of the season when they needed to win to get an NIT invitation, a big deal back then. UConn won a close game and the two stars put on a show- . If I recall Wes scored 40 and Lloyd 39, Wes having a big first half and Lloyd the second. Seeing Paige and Caitlin on the same floor would be fun, win or lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom