“Storrs Central” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Storrs Central”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not exactly the transparency that I was hoping for. Hopefully more information is provided because I really like some of the guys involved in the project but could do without these salesmanship type of answers.

If that's how they're going to answer, they aren't getting my money. That's just cheesy salesmanship.

It isn't hard to say X% goes to NIL. Or at least "we're working to maximize that and will have specifics soon."

Reaction Score
Honestly kind of confused about the animosity from people here. Is Storrs Central really that much of a threat to The Boneyard? They’re trying to do something that’s going to help our teams, and no one’s taking away this website. I don’t get it.

I think it is related to a general view of the twitter crowd. But if they are putting out great content and better access to the program, I think many would happily support the initiative. If the idea is more a chat with HB and that ilk, good luck.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
This is the key question. I can find all of the UConn content I care to read. So if more of my $120/year goes to NIL by buying 3 more t-shirts or spending in another way, that's the choice I'm making.

Just FYI - if you spend $120 on NIL t-shirts the athletes are probably getting about $6-$10 of that money.

Reaction Score
If that's how they're going to answer, they aren't getting my money. That's just cheesy salesmanship.

It isn't hard to say X% goes to NIL. Or at least "we're working to maximize that and will have specifics soon."

It's very easy to do a monthly transparency report. Even reddit moderators do that on custom tools they use like archival clip bots owned by their mod team.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Just FYI - if you spend $120 on NIL t-shirts the athletes are probably getting about $6-$10 of that money.
Very honestly, thank you. (But I'm still buying t-shirts) Since you're in the know can you point us to any credible source of info on what % of our spend goes to atheletes via which channels?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Then please consider making a $9.99/month donation at bleedingblueforgood.org/donate. Accomplishes the same thing I'm asking fans to do with Storrs Central and you don't ever have to engage with Mr. Hot Balls.
Spaces is the shiznit. Love it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
It's very easy to do a monthly transparency report. Even reddit moderators do that on custom tools they use like archival clip bots owned by their mod team.
links?

Reaction Score
Which is $6-$10 more dollars than a website that doesn't break even. I would imagine they have the numbers on how many active users they need to be "profitable." There's no reason not to share that number. If anything it would encourage signups.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You couldn't pay me to be part of a board full of our Twitter fans
UConn Twitter is awesome. Met so many awesome people from there. In person too. People hide their identities too much here. UConn Twitter will meet up with you and hang. That being said, I really enjoy both Twitter and the yard.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Which is $6-$10 more dollars than a website that doesn't break even. I would imagine they have the numbers on how many active users they need to be "profitable." There's no reason not to share that number. If anything it would encourage signups.

Maybe more info will come out tomorrow on the podcast

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
That's great
I'll ask again, Since you're in the know can you point us to any credible source of info on what % of our spend goes to atheletes via which channels?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'll ask again, Since you're in the know can you point us to any credible source of info on what % of our spend goes to atheletes via which channels?

I can't provide that. It's just based on what I've been told by some folks who have insight into that. BTW, I will still buy NIL Merch and I'm not telling anyone here they shouldnt. Just saying these products aren't necessarily big factors when it comes to how much NIL money Athletes can make, and in most cases there is a company involved attempting to make a profit.

The hope with this website is that a higher % can go to the athletes.

I'll be subscribing to Storrs Central, and I'll also continue buying merch and making donations to BBFG. Everyone should make their own decisions on how to spend their money.

Reaction Score
Man you guys are brutal over here huh? As a gesture of good faith to the Boneyard I'll endeavor to be a little more transparent here. I want to be clear that it is very much not my place to tell an anonymous person on Twitter exactly what the content licensing fee is that we are paying to Aman Kidwai and Graham Chamberlain. These posts have been pretty frustrating to read. My entire job--the thing that I spend 16 hours per day doing--is raising money for UConn NIL. It is my "raison d'être." So the thought that I'm trying to find a way to scam athletes or that I would spend this amount of time on a project that wasn't going to be highly lucrative to the student-athletes is probably more insulting to me than any of you intended for it to be. Next time you bump into a player or coach from FB, MBB, or WBB, go ahead and ask them if they trust me (and Bleeding Blue for Good) to do what is best for their players and their programs.
The same ppl with tighter lips about that stuff now?
Do you think that maybe they would be aware that we have a chance to raise significant NIL dollars via Storrs Central and that we need to deal in access and information to make it a desirable subscription for fans?
Not exactly the transparency that I was hoping for. Hopefully more information is provided because I really like some of the guys involved in the project but could do without these salesmanship type of answers.

Referenced above. Anonymous individual on Twitter essentially asks me for a budget report. I get that you're trying to weigh up if this initiative is worth supporting or if the "cut" that goes to athletes is worth it or not. So I'll provide a more in-depth answer here. I also did a thirty minute podcast tonight with the CT Scoreboard Pod to answer many of these questions. The nuanced answer to your question is that $.80 on the dollar from subscriptions will go to athlete. Sooner rather than later, our sponsorships will be able to cover the cost of the content licensing fees. On3 tried to gouge us for a 50% revenue share per subscription and we told them to pound sand. We found a web developer (F5 sports) that we think is better willing to do it for less than half that. Why? Because we want every possible cent to go to student-athletes. Because it's my job.
It's a weird answer to a simple question
It's really not considering the forum (Twitter) that it was asked. If you asked me at a basketball game and I was talking to a real person with a real face I'd be more open. I'm being more open right now. I'm more open on the podcast that comes out tomorrow.
Probably best to donate directly to D’melios
Aside from the major endorsement deals that Donovan, Paige, and Azzi have, I would hazard a guess that 75% of Uconn student-athlete NIL money has come from Bleeding Blue for Good, but we have a solid working relationship with D'Amelio Huskies. I'm going to offer and try like hell to get them to be a part of our Tier 2 offerings on Storrs Central.
I just don't get what their intent is if they're paying staff. It's ok to pay writers and staff for upkeep but how much of your $10 goes to overhead and how much goes to NIL? If it's close to breaking even then why would you sign up there instead of just staying here? This is one of the most active sports forums left on the internet and it's free. It seems silly to convince people to pay to move "for NIL" and not tell them how much of that money actually goes to NIL
It's nowhere near close to breaking even. Nowhere near close. And the $.80/dollar number above really only exists for Tiers 1 & 2. It doesn't include the higher tiers and it doesn't include sponsorship revenue. More on how the sponsorships will directly benefit the student-athletes on the podcast tomorrow.

80%. We're working to maximize that and will have specifics soon.
I think it is related to a general view of the twitter crowd. But if they are putting out great content and better access to the program, I think many would happily support the initiative. If the idea is more a chat with HB and that ilk, good luck.
Indeed it is the former and not the latter.
It will! Because this is a no-fail, critical task. Because we need to raise as much money to continue to win championships as we possibly can. Because I WANT everyone to understand what we're doing here and why it's important. Because I genuinely hope (even believe) that we'll be able to turn this initiative into a 7-figure contributor to NIL. And that would be impossible if it were anything close to a "break even" proposition.

Reaction Score
Man you guys are brutal over here huh? As a gesture of good faith to the Boneyard I'll endeavor to be a little more transparent here. I want to be clear that it is very much not my place to tell an anonymous person on Twitter exactly what the content licensing fee is that we are paying to Aman Kidwai and Graham Chamberlain. These posts have been pretty frustrating to read. My entire job--the thing that I spend 16 hours per day doing--is raising money for UConn NIL. It is my "raison d'être." So the thought that I'm trying to find a way to scam athletes or that I would spend this amount of time on a project that wasn't going to be highly lucrative to the student-athletes is probably more insulting to me than any of you intended for it to be. Next time you bump into a player or coach from FB, MBB, or WBB, go ahead and ask them if they trust me (and Bleeding Blue for Good) to do what is best for their players and their programs.

Do you think that maybe they would be aware that we have a chance to raise significant NIL dollars via Storrs Central and that we need to deal in access and information to make it a desirable subscription for fans?

Referenced above. Anonymous individual on Twitter essentially asks me for a budget report. I get that you're trying to weigh up if this initiative is worth supporting or if the "cut" that goes to athletes is worth it or not. So I'll provide a more in-depth answer here. I also did a thirty minute podcast tonight with the CT Scoreboard Pod to answer many of these questions. The nuanced answer to your question is that $.80 on the dollar from subscriptions will go to athlete. Sooner rather than later, our sponsorships will be able to cover the cost of the content licensing fees. On3 tried to gouge us for a 50% revenue share per subscription and we told them to pound sand. We found a web developer (F5 sports) that we think is better willing to do it for less than half that. Why? Because we want every possible cent to go to student-athletes. Because it's my job.

It's really not considering the forum (Twitter) that it was asked. If you asked me at a basketball game and I was talking to a real person with a real face I'd be more open. I'm being more open right now. I'm more open on the podcast that comes out tomorrow.

Aside from the major endorsement deals that Donovan, Paige, and Azzi have, I would hazard a guess that 75% of Uconn student-athlete NIL money has come from Bleeding Blue for Good, but we have a solid working relationship with D'Amelio Huskies. I'm going to offer and try like hell to get them to be a part of our Tier 2 offerings on Storrs Central.

It's nowhere near close to breaking even. Nowhere near close. And the $.80/dollar number above really only exists for Tiers 1 & 2. It doesn't include the higher tiers and it doesn't include sponsorship revenue. More on how the sponsorships will directly benefit the student-athletes on the podcast tomorrow.

80%. We're working to maximize that and will have specifics soon.

Indeed it is the former and not the latter.

It will! Because this is a no-fail, critical task. Because we need to raise as much money to continue to win championships as we possibly can. Because I WANT everyone to understand what we're doing here and why it's important. Because I genuinely hope (even believe) that we'll be able to turn this initiative into a 7-figure contributor to NIL. And that would be impossible if it were anything close to a "break even" proposition.

To most of us you're a random person coming to an established forum that has a community going back decades and asking us for money to join a new forum. If you don't see how that invites some critique and prompts some questions, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Asking for transparency isn't an attack.

Looking forward to listening to the podcast.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

The University of Connecticut is all-in as far as Bleeding Blue for Good is concerned. That should speak volumes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is definitely worth a watch/listen for anyone who has time/questions. He does a good job explaining and clears up basically all of the things I've seen questioned.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’ve been trying to subscribe with no luck. Maybe not active until next week? Anyone else been trying or had success?

Reaction Score
I’ve been trying to subscribe with no luck. Maybe not active until next week? Anyone else been trying or had success?
I'm not sure what you mean by subscribe, but I was able to create a free account without any issue.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To most of us you're a random person coming to an established forum that has a community going back decades and asking us for money to join a new forum. If you don't see how that invites some critique and prompts some questions, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Asking for transparency isn't an attack.

Looking forward to listening to the podcast.
Yeah he’s asking strangers for 100+ dollars per year to join a website that seemingly isn't offering anything unique or unavailable in other places.

Then on top of that is getting pissy with those of us who dare expect direct and unambiguous answers as to how this whole thing is funded and where our money is actually going.

Has the coaching staff acknowledged they plan to support this initiative? Do the players have permission to share privileged information about the program/recruiting? Just having access to people doesn’t mean they’ll tell you anything important, I’ve been there.

But besides the questions and criticism, I’m glad BBFG has been so successful in raising NIL and its function as a charity is great for the community. Hopefully the sponsorships come through sooner than later and most if not all the donated funds can be put towards the athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom