“I think we can win 6 games next year” | The Boneyard

“I think we can win 6 games next year”

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So I see this comment getting tossed around a lot. “Oh I think we can win six games next year”!

here’s the 2021 schedule:

@ Fresno St
Holy Cross
Purdue
@ Army
Wyoming
@ Vanderbilt
@ UMass
MTSU
@ Clemson
@ UCF

We still have to add two games for 2021- I’m assuming these will both be home G5 games because we need 6 home games and only have 4 on the schedule currently.

I’ll give us Holy Cross as a W even though last time we played them we won by 7 and we haven’t beaten a FCS team by 2 scores in Randy’s tenure here.

I’m automatically chalking up losses as follows: @ Fresno, @ Army, @ Vanderbilt, @ Clemson, @ UCF, Purdue.

That means we’d need to go 5-0 against Wyoming, @ UMass, MTSU, and the other two games to reach 6 wins. Does anyone think that’s going to happen when we have 1 FBS win in the last two seasons we’ve played combined? Where is this optimism for 6 wins coming from besides just saying it just to say it? With the above schedule if UConn went 3-9 I would probably be ecstatic. Would love to hear additional thoughts as to what is realistic based on what we know about 2021’s schedule.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems realistic. Don't forget to factor in all the weakened hearts on those teams from COVID country.

Reaction Score
The way UConn is scheduling now as an independent, 6 wins a year is the minimum.

If QB play goes great, we can win 8.

Reaction Score
I would like to see them practice before I make any predictions. We literally know nothing about this team.
You don’t need to watch us practice to know we aren’t beating any of the auto losses listed, and honestly could prob add Wyoming there too. If you think RE’s made some dramatic change in his approach, which was not even remotely competing with FBS competition, then you’re gonna be real disappointed

Reaction Score
You don’t need to watch us practice to know we aren’t beating any of the auto losses listed, and honestly could prob add Wyoming there too. If you think RE’s made some dramatic change in his approach, which was not even remotely competing with FBS competition, then you’re gonna be real disappointed
Well, he did have Rhett Lashlee run an up tempo offense for a season, so I'd assume he is aware of trends. 2000s BE football is no longer of us.

When Randy goes, the AD needs to hire someone young or proven with present trends and is not like Bob Petrino behavior-wise.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
When Randy goes, the AD needs to hire someone young or proven with present trends and is not like Bob Petrino behavior-wise.

1607083222543.png

Reaction Score
Winning 6 games would be a TALL order for a team that:
-bypassed the 2020 season altogether
-hasn't won 25% of it's games per season in an eternity
That said, the entire team has benefited from a de facto redshirt year to get stronger in the weightroom, & anyone recovering from injuries in the 2019 season has had more than ample time to heal. By next season, HCRE will have had 4 recruiting classes, basically turning over the entire roster in his image. There is no room for error. If he gets 6 wins, that would be dramatic improvement, but I think he only gets 4 out of a team that needs to learn how to win consistently.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Winning 6 games would be a TALL order for a team that:
-bypassed the 2020 season altogether
-hasn't won 25% of it's games per season in an eternity
That said, the entire team has benefited from a de facto redshirt year to get stronger in the weightroom, & anyone recovering from injuries in the 2019 season has had more than ample time to heal. By next season, HCRE will have had 4 recruiting classes, basically turning over the entire roster in his image. There is no room for error. If he gets 6 wins, that would be dramatic improvement, but I think he only gets 4 out of a team that needs to learn how to win consistently.
The optimist in me says that getting everyone a redshirt year is huuuge. Redshirts were a staple of RE1.0, but a luxury he hasn't really had this time around. The way UConn recruits, they need a year to get bigger, faster and stronger for the college game. If they develop that depth again, they will start winning a lot more battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I hope.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have no idea how a year off from football will impact the team.

Since UConn is young and under developed, physically it will be a positive. But how are they mentally? How does not being in a weekly game playing routine impact mental growth and mental toughness? How much rust will the team have and how long will it take to kick it off?

I don't think Randy gets a mulligan next year. His strength as an experienced coach is his ability to prepare his team. And he has publicly stated that time off is a positive. He can't change his tune next year and blame the pandemic.

Can the team win 6 games? Maybe...but it will take an amazing coaching job by Edsall.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
That makes sense actually. Fresno is nasty this year, plus the travel to the west coast to start the season spells a loss for the Huskies. Would LOVE to beat Purdue at home though since Diaco is there. Also, Vandy is winnable I think.

Reaction Score
The optimist in me says that getting everyone a redshirt year is huuuge. Redshirts were a staple of RE1.0, but a luxury he hasn't really had this time around. The way UConn recruits, they need a year to get bigger, faster and stronger for the college game. If they develop that depth again, they will start winning a lot more battles in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I hope.
Every team gets this benefit though...

Reaction Score
I’m not all that convinced that Army will be unbeatable. Service academies can be variable and Army has a winning record but they haven’t exactly played a the top 10 teams So far. Mpiercer, Abilene Christian, and the Citassel are all 1AA then Texas San Antonio, ULM. If UConn played that schedule everyone would be bitching about the quality. Vandy is beatable As is MTSU. So getting to 6 would look like this: UMass, MTSU, Holy Cross, Army or Vandy, two unknown teams. Not unthinkable at all.

Reaction Score
6 wins is doable for this team. I think bare minimum should be 4 wins and competitive in all games except maybe Clemson and Purdue.

Reaction Score
I can see 6 wins and possibly more depending on who fills out the schedule with a portent oak upset win against Fresno. Our WR Corp will be strong. Our qb has to be a winner. Not just about throwing the ball. He needs to have a winning mindset and a not give up mindset.

Reaction Score
I can see 6 wins and possibly more depending on who fills out the schedule with a portent oak upset win against Fresno. Our WR Corp will be strong. Our qb has to be a winner. Not just about throwing the ball. He needs to have a winning mindset and a not give up mindset.
I hope the QB has "IT"! Seems like your crystal ball sees the same thing each year. Maybe you should have it checked out.

Here is you prediction for 2020:
2020 UConn projected game lines via Brad Powers’ power ratings
I see possibly 6 wins maybe 7 if the team that played Illinois and Houston shows up
Would think with a full year of practice improving eye discipline and execution the expectations would increase for 2021 from 2020.

Reaction Score
Depends on who they fill the season with. If it is FBS teams I see 2-3 wins. FCS 3-5 wins. Would not be shocked at all if they lose to an FCS squad.

Reaction Score
I hope the QB has "IT"! Seems like your crystal ball sees the same thing each year. Maybe you should have it checked out.

Here is you prediction for 2020:
2020 UConn projected game lines via Brad Powers’ power ratings
I see possibly 6 wins maybe 7 if the team that played Illinois and Houston shows up
Would think with a full year of practice improving eye discipline and execution the expectations would increase for 2021 from 2020.

Hey at least I’m consistent with it lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom