YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews | Page 3 | The Boneyard

YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Someone must, since I was answering a post made earlier in the thread.

Did you notice a couple of other such posts there too?

No one gives a duck*.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He said multiple schools making millions before the recent TV money. These numbers are generally cooked beyond belief - but before the TV money there were a few schools in the black and Minnesota was doing pretty well.

Michigan and Ohio State probably make more on a single football game - I'll believe a niche sports impacts CR when it happens.

I don't know who made what - I'm guessing Minnesota and Wisconsin are solidly positive. Michigan should be.

The only one I'm certain about is Penn State - they've announced that their program is over $1M in the black.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
The only one I'm certain about is Penn State - they've announced that their program is over $1M in the black.

Is that because of the massive Pegula gift or generated revenue?

Reaction Score
I don't know who made what - I'm guessing Minnesota and Wisconsin are solidly positive. Michigan should be.

Bingo. I didn't know that about PSU, but not surprising, they've done very well since starting. MN, MI, and WI have all been money-producing programs for years. That's half the league right there. Most of the time they end up spending the money they made on things like facilities, travel costs for the team and recruiting, so the numbers come out even, but there's little reason to not use the money if you have it.

Reaction Score

I will never believe any program about what numbers they report, either positive or negative. Some programs want to report positive numbers because it shows it's not a waste of resources. Others purposely report negative numbers so they can show these sports aren't making a ton of money. A lot also depends how conference/media revenue is reported. Some schools report prorated payouts from the league to the individual sports themselves, whereas others may not. Penn State might be making money, but they also might not and are just reporting conference revenue more heavily to their hockey program than other schools do.

At Ohio State, an interesting thing is that I know conference revenue is not reported with the individual sports, where some schools do prorate it individually, so their numbers will always look worse when examining a single sport. Interestingly, the debt load on the Jerome Schottenstein Center is paid by the University's general fund and operated by the university, but athletics charges rent from the basketball programs and hockey programs to service the debt. Oddly, though, the money isn't removed from athletics, it's simply removed from the program budgets. Very funny accounting with some of these schools.

Reaction Score
Easier to get a loan if the school takes on the debt (not just the athletic department).

Not sure why athletics wouldn't pay it back to the school.

Reaction Score
Well I should clarify that the athletics department does pay debt on the facilities, including the Schottenstein Center, but the way it's been explained is that the individual rents paid by the programs surpass the amount of debt paid on the building. It was a quirky situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom