WVU AD in favor of B12 expansion for the 'right teams'

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UCFSports 10:52pm via TweetDeck
Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...big-12-mike-bianchi-0614-20150613-column.html

>>This is a big call to arms for UCF fans. A Big 12 call to arms. If ever there was a time for the hundreds of thousands of UCF fans, alumni and students in Central Florida to back their football program, then now is it. "It's a sprint, not a marathon," UCF athletic director Todd Stansbury said during a recent UCF fan and booster gathering in downtown Orlando. Although Stansbury wasn't talking specifically about the race to gain a potential invitation to the Big 12, he might as well have been.<<

>>If UCF's burgeoning fan base and massive student population gets behind the effort, then it should be a no-brainer. UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.<<

... there's more.

Surely the Big 12 can't take our biggest football rival without taking us too, right??? :eek:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anyone seem to know what UCF's actual student population is on the main campus, as opposed to the thousands they claim that all commute to that campus as well as other satellites? I know they are building it up, but it wasn't long ago that the main campus had very little housing.

I don't know official on-campus numbers but the streets that frame the campus literally hold thousands of students in off-campus apartments. I would take any numbers regarding on-campus vice commuters with a grain of salt and do some more digging before I made any judgment on what those numbers mean.

Reaction Score
JMO but if The Big 12 is actually considering 2 teams for expansion they would be foolish not to target Cincy and UCF. The conference desperately need to find other population centers for recruiting purposes. As it is the entire conference minus WVU depends on one state to fill most of their recruiting needs. That's insane.

Schools like ISU, KU and KSU would benefit greatly from being able to recruit in Florida and Ohio by actually playing games there. Obviously WVU would also approve as much of their recruiting is focused on these areas already. I know UCONN is looking for any port in a storm, but outside of the revenue increase, I think it would be a terrible short term marriage for both The Huskies and the current conference members. I still think The B1G is in your future.

I actually agree with this. When, during the time all of your friends seem to be getting married you are dating someone you feel lukewarm about, do you say "Well, since I want to be married and have all the benefits that it brings, might as well settle for this one?" No, you hold out for a better fit. The B1G is the woman of our dreams, the ACC is one that would likely give us long-term happiness, but with the Big 12 my sense is that we would be heading for divorce court once the seven year itch kicks in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know official on-campus numbers but the streets that frame the campus literally hold thousands of students in off-campus apartments. I would take any numbers regarding on-campus vice commuters with a grain of salt and do some more digging before I made any judgment on what those numbers mean.

The main campus in Orlando has accommodations for about 11,000 students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I worry about this coming to pass. I'm not sure we can survive being passed over again.

Reaction Score
I worry about this coming to pass. I'm not sure we can survive being passed over again.
If the Big 12 takes two , it was never going to be us.
UConn would only be included if the Big 12 wanted to step out of the box and make an incursion into NYC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 takes two , it was never going to be us.
UConn would only be included if the Big 12 wanted to step out of the box and make an incursion into NYC.
Agree, but the continued dilution of our conference coupled with the perception that we have been passed over seems to be a potentially fatal combination.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn isn't going to the B12. We're not a good fit. First, nobody inside the state of Connecticut/tri-state/New England owns a pair of cowboy boots. Second, we're a basketball school. B12 already has Kansas and that's good enough for them during non-football season. Third, we are a liberal state. Can you imagine the outrage from our local media and fanbase when opposing QBs with the names "Colt", "Gunner" and "Hunter" come to play at the Rent? There will be literally 2 or 3 picketers outside of the highly visible Gate A and we can't have that.

pj

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this. When, during the time all of your friends seem to be getting married you are dating someone you feel lukewarm about, do you say "Well, since I want to be married and have all the benefits that it brings, might as well settle for this one?" No, you hold out for a better fit. The B1G is the woman of our dreams, the ACC is one that would likely give us long-term happiness, but with the Big 12 my sense is that we would be heading for divorce court once the seven year itch kicks in.

The whole Big 12 is probably heading for divorce court in ten years, so everything may be short-term for them. And if the Big 12 is going to split up in ten years, then (a) the B1G and ACC may hold off expanding until they see what becames available from the Big 12, and (b) we would have the opportunity to compete for spots in the B1G and ACC at the breakup, even if we were in the Big 12. So there may be little downside to joining the Big 12. Likewise the Big 12 may see a temporary penetration into the New York / New England population center as worthwhile at building their brand nationally, even if it is only a 10-year rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom