WVU AD in favor of B12 expansion for the 'right teams' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WVU AD in favor of B12 expansion for the 'right teams'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
How does the Big 12 expanding hurt the ACC?

It dilutes football, lowers SOS ratings...forcing the Big 12 to expand should be a priority for the ACC.

Somehow the ACC thought it was a victory for them to take the B12's top expansion candidate (Louisville) off the table, when they had an alternative (UConn) that was at least as good for them.

Reaction Score
How does the Big 12 expanding hurt the ACC?

It dilutes football, lowers SOS ratings...forcing the Big 12 to expand should be a priority for the ACC.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Big 12 tries to poach one or two of the ACC's football schools. I don't know if it would work, but it's not a risk I'd want to take if I'm the ACC.

Reaction Score
It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Big 12 tries to poach one or two of the ACC's football schools. I don't know if it would work, but it's not a risk I'd want to take if I'm the ACC.

Not having a championship game dilutes the XII's value with respect to getting into the football championship playoff, which makes it likely that the XII would be raided before the ACC is. That is important because the current football playoff model readily supports a 4 conference configuration and there are 5 P5 conferences. Thus, to survive, the ACC wants to XII to fall apart before it does as the other conferences, PAC (geography), SEC (power/money), B1G (power/money), are not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Not having a championship game dilutes the XII's value with respect to getting into the football championship playoff, which makes it likely that the XII would be raided before the ACC is. That is important because the current football playoff model readily supports a 4 conference configuration and there are 5 P5 conferences. Thus, to survive, the ACC wants to XII to fall apart before it does as the other conferences, PAC (geography), SEC (power/money), B1G (power/money), are not going anywhere.

Right, but if the Big XII is told they need to add two teams to get a CCG, they may target one or two of the schools in the ACC in order to get to twelve. Again, I don't know if it would work, but I have to think that FSU and Georgia Tech at least pick up the phone when the Big XII calls, and that's further than I want that to go if I'm the ACC. Moving into a more football-centric conference would likely have some appeal to the ACC football schools.

Reaction Score
Right, but if the Big XII is told they need to add two teams to get a CCG, they may target one or two of the schools in the ACC in order to get to twelve. Again, I don't know if it would work, but I have to think that FSU and Georgia Tech at least pick up the phone when the Big XII calls, and that's further than I want that to go if I'm the ACC. Moving into a more football-centric conference would likely have some appeal to the ACC football schools.

I don't see either the ACC or B12 targeting schools from each other.

Since their GOR are supposedly modeled after each other any successful move from the B12 to ACC (or vice versa) only demonstrates the weakness of the GOR. Knowing that they are the 2 weakest conferences I would guess their is a "gentlemen's agreement" between them to stay away from poaching schools. Any demonstrated weakness in the GOR only gives the SEC & B1G ammunition to go after the desirable schools.

Regardless of what the Dood of WV states I believe that schools like Oklahoma & Kansas would start looking around in a heartbeat if they thought they could get out.

Reaction Score
to this point, no school has left for a 'perceived' weaker conference... And, the ACC and Big 12 are the only P5 conferences to lose schools of late. If one of those conferences can poach from the other, consider it a death blow.

Reaction Score
to this point, no school has left for a 'perceived' weaker conference... And, the ACC and Big 12 are the only P5 conferences to lose schools of late. If one of those conferences can poach from the other, consider it a death blow.
If Texas and OK were poached, death blow. 4 power conferences. If FSU and Clemson were poached, I'd envision a long, slow, painful death, perhaps lasting several years until the remaining decent football programs in the Big ACC were realigned.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If Texas and OK were poached, death blow. 4 power conferences. If FSU and Clemson were poached, I'd envision a long, slow, painful death, perhaps lasting several years until the remaining decent football programs in the Big ACC were realigned.

It better not because if Clemson and FSU walk there's a good chance we're in the ACC. Of course if the Big 12 expands because it decides it needs a conference championship game... the worst case scenario for us is they just add BYU and Cinci.

Reaction Score
It better not because if Clemson and FSU walk there's a good chance we're in the ACC. Of course if the Big 12 expands because it decides it needs a conference championship game... the worst case scenario for us is they just add BYU and Cinci.

Worst-case scenario for us is that they add Cincy, Memphis, UCF, ECU, Temple, and Houston.

Reaction Score
I don't see either the ACC or B12 targeting schools from each other.

Since their GOR are supposedly modeled after each other any successful move from the B12 to ACC (or vice versa) only demonstrates the weakness of the GOR. Knowing that they are the 2 weakest conferences I would guess their is a "gentlemen's agreement" between them to stay away from poaching schools. Any demonstrated weakness in the GOR only gives the SEC & B1G ammunition to go after the desirable schools.

Regardless of what the Dood of WV states I believe that schools like Oklahoma & Kansas would start looking around in a heartbeat if they thought they could get out.

If Jim Delany announces tomorrow that the B1G intends to go to 20 schools, any 'gentleman's agreement' between the ACC and XII, if such exists, goes out the window in an all out scramble to survive.

100% agree on Oklahoma and Kansas. Along with Texas, those 3 schools are OK and will find a home int he P4 if the XII falls. The rest, not so safe, including WVU, which may or may not have already been rejected by the ACC and SEC and has no shot at the B1G due to academic issues.

Reaction Score
I don't think it matters... either way, you'd have final acknowledgement which conference is #4 and which is #5.
#5 is a dead conference walking. once the powers that be decide to shrink the pie further, it's BE 2.0

Reaction Score
I think if the sec wanted any aac team(s) it would likely be Cincinnati. It would push them up into ohio, and there are a lot of transplanted southerners up there not to mention advertising dollars. Memphis really doesn't give them anything they do not already have. ECU longer shot given South Carolina. Remember, South Carolina wasn't as good as Cincy is in fb an bb when they grabbed them. I don't see it happening, but it would be the least shocking. I'm not sure Tulane has enough upside.

Reaction Score
I doubt Oklahoma is going any place without Oklahoma State in their side car and I would bet that is a deal-killer for other conferences.

Reaction Score
I think if the sec wanted any aac team(s) it would likely be Cincinnati. It would push them up into ohio, and there are a lot of transplanted southerners up there not to mention advertising dollars. Memphis really doesn't give them anything they do not already have. ECU longer shot given South Carolina. Remember, South Carolina wasn't as good as Cincy is in fb an bb when they grabbed them. I don't see it happening, but it would be the least shocking. I'm not sure Tulane has enough upside.

Cincinnati does not bring much of Ohio that isn't already in SEC territory because of the proximity of UK's proximity to southern Ohio.

Reaction Score

This is an interesting notion, and one I have considered as well. An SEC Invite is like a Golden Ticket for football. Consider a school like A&M. They were regularly a middle of the pack Big 12 Team, and recruited well below the level of programs like UT and OU. They move to The SEC, where they remain a mid level program, but suddenly are promoted like they are a national power. Not surprising their recruiting has skyrocketed at the expense of the above mentioned programs.

Cincy would give The SEC inroads into another talent rich state, add a quality basketball program to a mediocre conference, provide a rival for UK, increase revenue for The SEC Network in a large state, and allow Mizzou an opportunity to go west. Do I think this happens? Not really, but it would be an easy pull for them should they choose to expand. Who would be 16 is anyone's guess.

The SEC is unique among conferences in that their favored status with ESPN instantly legitimizes anyone they associate with. For cripes sake both Ole Miss and MSU were ranked in the top 3 this season solely on their performance in conference. Come bowl season both of these SEC Superpowers got curb stomped in their bowl games. Quite honestly I think The SEC could take a Houston or SMU and promote them to top 25 status in short order. The rub is that powerful.

Reaction Score
Not for the AAC!

If Oklahoma and OK Stat have to stay together and ditto for Kansas and K State, the PAC is their best shot as they have the room and the need while it would add too many schools to the ACC (20+ total) and the B1G and SEC likely want the big teams (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas) and not their little siblings should the XII implode.

Reaction Score
UCFSports 10:52pm via TweetDeck
Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...big-12-mike-bianchi-0614-20150613-column.html

>>This is a big call to arms for UCF fans. A Big 12 call to arms. If ever there was a time for the hundreds of thousands of UCF fans, alumni and students in Central Florida to back their football program, then now is it. "It's a sprint, not a marathon," UCF athletic director Todd Stansbury said during a recent UCF fan and booster gathering in downtown Orlando. Although Stansbury wasn't talking specifically about the race to gain a potential invitation to the Big 12, he might as well have been.<<

>>If UCF's burgeoning fan base and massive student population gets behind the effort, then it should be a no-brainer. UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.<<

... there's more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCFSports 10:52pm via TweetDeck
Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...big-12-mike-bianchi-0614-20150613-column.html

>>This is a big call to arms for UCF fans. A Big 12 call to arms. If ever there was a time for the hundreds of thousands of UCF fans, alumni and students in Central Florida to back their football program, then now is it. "It's a sprint, not a marathon," UCF athletic director Todd Stansbury said during a recent UCF fan and booster gathering in downtown Orlando. Although Stansbury wasn't talking specifically about the race to gain a potential invitation to the Big 12, he might as well have been.<<

>>If UCF's burgeoning fan base and massive student population gets behind the effort, then it should be a no-brainer. UCF is clearly a better option than the other two oft-mentioned candidates — American Athletic Conference brethren Memphis and Cincinnati — as an eastern partner for Big 12 expansion. Academically, geographically and philosophically, UCF brings much more to the table than both Memphis and Cincinnati.<<

... there's more.
can't read without registering, what else is there?

Reaction Score
They lost me at "academically brings more"
Even mentioning memphis and academics in one sentence is comical, but UCONN's sadly seen that play out before with louisville. Obviously, the Orlando Sentinel's merely reciting the ucf ad's rah-rah, Chamber of Commerce-like speech. Hopefully, UCONN not being mentioned is either just another symbol UCONN's going to the B1G and/or the Huskies are the other of two XII targets along with ucf.

Pep talk or not, indirectly ucf's ad may be referencing his school's 55K student population (albeit including a fair number of part-timers - the latter applies to memphis and cinci as well). Compared with cinci's undergrad reputation and admissions requirements, the guy also may not be too far off the mark. Again, he only mentions memphis and cinci. So, UCONN's really B1G invitation is coming soon. ;)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Does anyone seem to know what UCF's actual student population is on the main campus, as opposed to the thousands they claim that all commute to that campus as well as other satellites? I know they are building it up, but it wasn't long ago that the main campus had very little housing.

Reaction Score
can't read without registering, what else is there?

Do a Google search for Mike Bianchi: It's time for UCF fans to make Big 12 take notice. When you click on it through Google, you will be able to read it.

Reaction Score
JMO but if The Big 12 is actually considering 2 teams for expansion they would be foolish not to target Cincy and UCF. The conference desperately need to find other population centers for recruiting purposes. As it is the entire conference minus WVU depends on one state to fill most of their recruiting needs. That's insane.

Schools like ISU, KU and KSU would benefit greatly from being able to recruit in Florida and Ohio by actually playing games there. Obviously WVU would also approve as much of their recruiting is focused on these areas already. I know UCONN is looking for any port in a storm, but outside of the revenue increase, I think it would be a terrible short term marriage for both The Huskies and the current conference members. I still think The B1G is in your future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99