Wv's Insistence On Going To B12 In 2012. | The Boneyard

Wv's Insistence On Going To B12 In 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe WV is chopping on the bit to play in a cowpoke conference and that is the reason the university is trying to bypass the 27 month holding period.

I think they have the offer from the B12 only if they can get the release for the 2012 season. Otherwise the offer is withdrawn.

Reaction Score
That's because B12 could lose their TV deal if they don't have 10 teams. BE should make them pay dearly if that's the case. Also, WVU is on a tier revenue sharing plan with the B12 with 1st year being at 50%, 2nd year being 75%, 3rd year at 85% and 4th at 100%. This move could cost dearly for WVU. By the time they get to 100% there might not be a B12 left. That would be tragic LOL. They sure are working hard to be Texas' next biatch.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's because B12 could lose their TV deal if they don't have 10 teams. BE should make them pay dearly if that's the case. Also, WVU is on a tier revenue sharing plan with the B12 with 1st year being at 50%, 2nd year being 75%, 3rd year at 85% and 4th at 100%. This move could cost dearly for WVU. By the time they get to 100% there might not be a B12 left. That would be tragic LOL. They sure are working hard to be Texas' next biatch.
Exactly. The B12 needs a tenth team next year if Missouri leaves for next season. So WV's move to the B12 is not a certainty. There is no way the B12 or WV will let the BE know the offer is conditional. That would be showing their hand. The BE has to stand pat with the 27 month condition.

Reaction Score
Unless of course Marinate folds and takes the money to pay off Boise's exit fees. From what I gather that still porks our AQ status. Unless part of the payoff is that the Big 12 lobbies the NCAA to give the BE a pass on the AQ thing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Unless of course Marinate folds and takes the money to pay off Boise's exit fees. From what I gather that still porks our AQ status. Unless part of the payoff is that the Big 12 lobbies the NCAA to give the BE a pass on the AQ thing.

He doesn't control those decisions. The BE presidents do. And yes they can vote to accept an increased buyout. But if that results in the football teams losing the BCS status, then the football teams probably will leave. I expect the football teams have discussed this with their "partners" and the vote will be to keep the 3 teams to the 27 month rule.

I'm not sure how the B12 can influence the BCS especially since they are in contention or potential contention with the SEC who have as much if not more influence over the BCS.

Continued:

ctchamps

Reaction Score

What may happen is a game of bluff in which the B12 threatens to go after 3 BE teams in effect destroying the conference once and for all if WV is not allowed to leave. Then it will be up to the BE to decide if they should call the B12's bluff or not.

Texas is very much against going to 12 teams. I would guess this would trigger some renegotiations in the B12 contract, or reduce the per university pay out, or reduce Texas's influence on the conference. If they go to 12 teams this means Texas would be capitulating to OU.

I can't imagine Texas capitulating to anyone so this will get interesting. Personally I would face the threat and take a chance on calling the B12's bluff. The BE is dead without WV so hanging on to Cinci and Louisville won't matter all that much.

Reaction Score
What may happen is a game of bluff in which the B12 threatens to go after 3 BE teams in effect destroying the conference once and for all if WV is not allowed to leave. Then it will be up to the BE to decide if they should call the B12's bluff or not.

Texas is very much against going to 12 teams. I would guess this would trigger some renegotiations in the B12 contract, or reduce the per university pay out, or reduce Texas's influence on the conference. If they go to 12 teams this means Texas would be capitulating to OU.

I can't imagine Texas capitulating to anyone so this will get interesting. Personally I would face the threat and take a chance on calling the B12's bluff. The BE is dead without WV so hanging on to Cinci and Louisville won't matter all that much.
Don't forget that neither Tejas or Ok want any part of a conference championship anymore to eliminate a potential obstacle to a national title game. I also suppose what motivation would any of the bb onlies have to try to keep Wvu? Why wouldn't they just take the cash. I don't see much motivation for them other than take the cash.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Don't forget that neither Tejas or Ok want any part of a conference championship anymore to eliminate a potential obstacle to a national title game.
Good point. I guess they could have 12 teams without a championship game. But they would probably have to have two divisions with twelve teams vs. ten teams and that could cause problems. People who are swift at scheduling could explain how.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I say call Big12's bluff of taking WVU and 2 more BE teams.

There is no way the per team payout doesn't decrease in a renegotiation when you trade Texas A&M and Mizzou for TCU, WVU, Cincy and Louisville. Big12 was lucky to get a monster deal with their 'old' conference. Adding 3 BE teams and a Mtn West team replacing two new SEC teams? You do the math.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Texas has been a very shrewd player when it comes to the modern day era of getting the most value out of their athletics. They are the number one school in creating football value.

And I'm sure they want to stay dominant. I think I understand Texas's strategy. For them it isn't just about being number one. Its about trying to create greater and greater separation with their superiority over other schools when it comes to value.

Continued:

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Understanding this, then who is Texas more concerned about when it comes to universities challenging Texas dominance in value, the remaining BE teams or the remaining B12 teams? My answer is the remaining B12 teams. OU is number nine in valuation and OSU is number 18. If OU can get several valuable teams into the B12 then the B12 can function without Texas if Texas choses to go independent. And they could make inroads in the differential of value.

So if Texas if faced with choosing to face down a challenge by inferior BE or choosing to face down a challenge by OU, Texas will allow the BE to win. The victory by the BE would be relatively inconsequential. But an OU victory would have a lot of ramifications from Texas point of view.

The big problem is this is not a 100% certainty. It is a good probability. And the BE is so frightened and weak they will probably capitulate. That would be a big miscalculation imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom