Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Would UConn Basketball survive the move to the ACC

Reaction Score
Wish they had moved now (Yes, a dream, I know) while Duke and UNC are more prone to down years (UNC this year where the NIT didn't even take them and in 2019-20 = under .500), Duke in 2020-21 (and a few years ago 13-11), could have come right in and run things right away. Who is the biggest obstacle? Virginia? A resurgent Pitt? I reckon UConn would run Virginia ragged many games with that depth and in a conference where 14-6 (x2) and 12-8 put you squarely on the bubble, UConn would be top 3 no issue. This years UConn team would nab 15 wins in the ACC, minimum (again, yes, I know, dreaming).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Four national titles, that's a game changer. We'd still land our kids
I thought this too back when the Catholic 7 left the conference and the Big East (later, AAC) was forced to invite a bunch of Midwest and Southern schools. I thought the AAC would remain a major basketball conference simply because of UConn. In the contrary. Major programs (i.e. Men's & women's basketball and football) recieved back up commits and secondary choices.

Opponents matter. Travel time matters. Not only to fans but to 18 year old kids. This became more than evident when UConn accepted the full invitation to the New Big East, and went Independent in football. Coach Hurley seems to be a really talented recruiter, but operating in the Big East gave/gives him the material needed to land his recruits. Entering freshmen are more talented, polished, and ready to play on day one. On a game-to-game basis, arenas are closer to capacity and secondary market tickets are more expensive, if not more scarce.

UConn would probably be okay in the ACC, but they may not. UConn's former Big East rivals might be flush with cash, but they are not thriving on the courts or field. Syracuse, particularly without Beoheim, and BC are not the recruiting tools they once were and neither Coach K, nor Roy Williams are walking through the door.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought this too back when the Catholic 7 left the conference and the Big East (later, AAC) was forced to invite a bunch of Midwest and Southern schools. I thought the AAC would remain a major basketball conference simply because of UConn. In the contrary. Major programs (i.e. Men's & women's basketball and football) recieved back up commits and secondary choices.

Opponents matter. Travel time matters. Not only to fans but to 18 year old kids. This became more than evident when UConn accepted the full invitation to the New Big East, and went Independent in football. Coach Hurley seems to be a really talented recruiter, but operating in the Big East gave/gives him the material needed to land his recruits. Entering freshmen are more talented, polished, and ready to play on day one. On a game-to-game basis, arenas are closer to capacity and secondary market tickets are more expensive, if not more scarce.

UConn would probably be okay in the ACC, but they may not. UConn's former Big East rivals might be flush with cash, but they are not thriving on the courts or field. Syracuse, particularly without Beoheim, and BC are not the recruiting tools they once were and neither Coach K, nor Roy Williams are walking through the door.
I still believe that if our then coach held up his end of the bargain we would have succeeded in the AAC.

I also believe that it would have been a nearly impossible place to succeed in restoring our program.

Reaction Score
Miami is doing very well for themselves, coaching, coaching, coaching.

BTW the ACC was 14-5 in the tournament last year. Two teams in the final four.

Laranagga is excellent, but he doesn't have too many years left.

Football is in shambles.

Reaction Score
Laranagga is excellent, but he doesn't have too many years left.

Football is in shambles.

The Canes had a good recruiting year...their 2023 class is ranked #7 by 247...but coaches are a hot mess...we'll see if it turns around in two years or so.

Reaction Score
The Canes had a good recruiting year...their 2023 class is ranked #7 by 247...but coaches are a hot mess...we'll see if it turns around in two years or so.

It's groundhog day. This happens every 3-4 years for them

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I still believe that if our then coach held up his end of the bargain we would have succeeded in the AAC.

I also believe that it would have been a nearly impossible place to succeed in restoring our program.
For better or for worse (depending on the parties), both points are moot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why would you still think that? The fanbase that goes to games stopped going to AAC games. We were never going anywhere while trapped in that hell. We literally got the last helicopter out.

Reaction Score
This was a great take, there's no way we'd be competitive with anyone outside of the Big East.. especially not the teams at the top of the ACC. Would be no contest against a team like Miami.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Given what the Big 12 is doing trying to take a big chunk of the ACC, I think a partial merger of the Big East with the ACC is possible. It would potentially enable the ACC to re-open their TV contract, and lockup basketball for the ACC.

I would be in favor of it as long as Providence was one of the schools cut loose. That program is a drag on the conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It should be a no brainer for them. Especially, if one adds a value to aspects that aren't counted. For instance, Cuse and BCU's hoop programs would be juiced up overnight. And what other leagues has 3 bluebloods?

Reaction Score
Uconn is the best team in the country… the big east is the best conference in the country…perfect fit

No Doubt.

It seems like segment of the UConn fanbase wants to screw things up again.

The Big East is the home were UConn can continue winning National Championships. I don't care about finances... clearly the finances haven't put a dent in the winning. Keep it coming!

Reaction Score
I'm sorry BUT: you Big East only fans remind me of that segment of Husky Nation in the 70's who wanted the athletic department to disband the football program (as Vermont, BU, & Northeastern did) & cede Memorial Stadium to the soccer teams, This is short sited thinking in terms of the overall athletic department. Moving to either the ACC, XII, or B1G will keep MOST Husky teams competitive & be a MUCH more stable fiscal environment.

Reaction Score
No Doubt.

It seems like segment of the UConn fanbase wants to screw things up again.

The Big East is the home were UConn can continue winning National Championships. I don't care about finances... clearly the finances haven't put a dent in the winning. Keep it coming!
yes finances don't matter for things like assistant coach salaries, facilities, athletic department support of athletes, being able to make respectable counter-offers to coaching staff with other job offers..........

Reaction Score
I'm sorry BUT: you Big East only fans remind me of that segment of Husky Nation in the 70's who wanted the athletic department to disband the football program (as Vermont, BU, & Northeastern did) & cede Memorial Stadium to the soccer teams, This is short sited thinking in terms of the overall athletic department. Moving to either the ACC, XII, or B1G will keep MOST Husky teams competitive & be a MUCH more stable fiscal environment.
Big East-only people are myopic and small-timers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom