would this team win? | The Boneyard

would this team win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
would our woman win more games in the WNBA than the 76er's will win in the NBA ? I think they would.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Give Lou and Pheese's another year then talk to me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
would our woman win more games in the WNBA than the 76er's will win in the NBA ? I think they would.
Is that based on how good they are, OR how bad the 76ers are? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Not even close. Not even close. UCONN would get demolished. Geno was on radio last week or week before and someone asked how his team would do vs other Olympian teams. Geno said - his team would get torn up.

In the WNBA you have stars of stars. KML can't even get off the bench.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not even close. Not even close. UCONN would get demolished. Geno was on radio last week or week before and someone asked how his team would do vs other Olympian teams. Geno said - his team would get torn up.

It really depends on what the hypothesis is. Do we assume that Geno, CD, Marisa, and Shea open a 2nd Connecticut franchise this year in Storrs, start training camp on mid-April like every other WNBA team with the whole 12-person roster that they have now? And that Geno is allowed to have one or two other assistants with some WNBA experience who know the other team's players and what their strengths and weaknesses are? And that they play a 34-game season plus the playoffs if they make them? And that they are allowed to participate in the WNBA draft with the first pick (having already reserved Stewie / Moriah / Morgan for themselves) and get to draft (say) Jonquel Jones and a few other players in later rounds to replace Lawlor / Pulido / Ekmark / Chong? And that they could make any trades that they thought would help them?

If that were to happen, I think the new Husky franchise MIGHT win 12-15 games out of 34 in 2016. If they continued to play in that mode for a few more years, with the ability to draft every year and further develop the roster, they might become a WNBA playoff team centered around this year's "triumvirate". But it would take at least 3 years to get to that point.

Also, you mentioned that KML can't get off the bench. It is also true that Kiah Stokes, who couldn't get off the bench in Storrs, was a leading candidate for Rookie of the Year in 2015. Players who are good in college are not necessarily suited to the W, nor were all capable players in the W stars in college. At the professional level, individual athleticism counts for more, and team-oriented play counts for less, than in college. Kelly Faris has struggled in the WNBA since her intelligence and commitment couldn't overcome the fact that she is not quite as big / strong / fast as most WNBA players at her position. But Tiffany Hayes has prospered in the WNBA because her athleticism is just what works at that level, and her occasional brain cramps are less of an issue.

I am quite sure that Stewie and Moriah will be WNBA stars. I am not so sure that Morgan will be, or that she will be able to play at the required pace without blowing out her knee. That is why I think she should seriously consider passing on pro basketball, and starting her non-basketball career in time to take advantage of her great personal reputation among so many people (including future employers) in this state.

Reaction Score
If that were to happen, I think the new Husky franchise MIGHT win 12-15 games out of 34 in 2016.

Also, you mentioned that KML can't get off the bench. It is also true that Kiah Stokes, who couldn't get off the bench in Storrs, was a leading candidate for Rookie of the Year in 2015. .

They would get annihilated. Yes I did mention KML - one of the all-time great scorers and all-americans in UCONN history- and yes she is one the bench. When lloyd came to the WNBA she got her butt kicked. Sure MoJeff will be good after one or maybe two years in the WNBA. That's just talking about the stars. KLS - is she going to take charges? From a kid that can't defend at all just six moths ago, now all of a sudden she is going to play good defense vs pros? Gabby struggles a bit to score in the post vs Size. What is she going to do now? What about Collier? She isn't strong enough now. What will happen when she competes vs the pros? Who else can play? Nurse's 30% college 3pt shooting?

Stokes is role player in the WNBA- a counter to other great scorers and rebounders. In the college game UCONN had the best scoring. They didn't need Stokes defense other than a couple of games. If UCONN goes small they'll get annihilated. These are grown women pros who are full-time working on their craft.

IMO it is crazy to think anything other than a complete beatdown. I love KLS. Love her. But she can't in an organized league and compete vs grown pros. There is nothing that Gabulous would be able to do at 5'10 and her assists vs turnovers not good while she is going against other world class athletes. Look at LA who isn't even that good. They have Nneka, Parker and the big girl from Ohio State that has had to push her game outside a bit. Tell me which player KLS can guard? Big Jayne Appel was a beast in college and what is she now?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm forced to agree. I don't think they would do that well. They could be competetive with a few teams but overall I think the physicality would overwhelm them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I agree with Hoophuskee. Every single team in the WNBA has players on it who were college AA's, or invited to the Olympic tryouts (anyone recall how Stewie did on the US National team 2 years ago?), or the very best from college basketball /foreign players who made it to the WNBA. As was pointed out, KML comes off the bench. Faris may not even be in the league this year.

The worst team in the league was the San Antonio Stars - who won 8 games last year. Here's their roster:

Guards - Sydney Colson, Frida Eldebrink, Kayla McBride, Samantha Logic, Danielle Robinson, Jia Perkins
Wings/forwards - Sophia Young, Alex Montgomery, Danielle Adams, Dearica Hamby
Centers - Jayne Appel, Kayla Alexander

While I think right now, Stewie would likely be a starter on that team, Moriah and Tuck would come off the bench, and the rest of the current UCONN players wouldn't even make the team. UCONN as we are RIGHT now MIGHT win 1-2 games in the WNBA in an entire year, but that's about it...

Reaction Score
First season the team will have a record of about 3-31...however same team in another year would be probably a close to 50% team and by the third or 4th year it will be a regular playoff team. It will take them time to get used to the physicality of the games. I see Stewie and MoJeff as future WNBA All Stars with Tuck and Lou possibly all well and Kia, Phee and Gaby as legit WNBA players (in time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom